Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Another camp rant- showers!!
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
OP  

Post Mon, Jul 15 2024, 10:06 pm
I assume it's not like this in all camps, but the two camps that my daughter has been to both have showers with just curtains. What's the story?? I pay 3,500 for 4 weeks and there can't be showers with normal doors? The girls shower in bikinis/tankinis or as my daughter said "the only way to shower fully undressed is if you find someone you trust who guards the curtains for two minutes, but really only two minutes, because no one wants to do that for longer than two minutes!" What happens when a girl has her period? I'm seriously livid about this!!!

It's basic human decency to be able to shower in full privacy!!!! End of rant

amother
Tulip

Post Mon, Jul 15 2024, 10:07 pm
That’s terrible! We had doors you go into a tiny space where you can change and hang things on hooks and then you have the curtain.

amother
Burntblack  

Post Mon, Jul 15 2024, 10:10 pm
Oh my, that's disgusting. I'd be livid as well. Where are the girls supposed to undress/dress before & after showering?

tichellady  

Post Mon, Jul 15 2024, 10:14 pm
I don’t understand the issue.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Jul 15 2024, 10:19 pm
tichellady wrote:
I don’t understand the issue.

6 shower stalls with just a curtain blocking off each one, for 2 bunks (around 40 girls total). Oh, and only 3 out of the 6 are normal pressure and temperature.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Mon, Jul 15 2024, 10:43 pm
amother Burntblack wrote:
Oh my, that's disgusting. I'd be livid as well. Where are the girls supposed to undress/dress before & after showering?

Yea whaat??
Like actually I would not stay in such a camp.

tichellady

Post Mon, Jul 15 2024, 10:50 pm
This sounds like sleep away camp to me. I have showered with shower curtains many times and I don’t see the issue unless it’s very windy in their camp. Most locker room showers don’t have actual doors but shower curtains

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Jul 15 2024, 10:57 pm
tichellady wrote:
This sounds like sleep away camp to me. I have showered with shower curtains many times and I don’t see the issue unless it’s very windy in their camp. Most locker room showers don’t have actual doors but shower curtains

What does windy have to do with anything?!? The showers are indoors Banging head

amother
Nemesia  

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 3:54 am
I had shower curtains in camp Hedvah back in the 80s-90s. What’s the issue?

amother
Currant  

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 4:15 am
What's the problem with shower curtains? Why do they need to guard the curtain? Isn't it obvious that someone is in there when the shower is on?

I also have shower curtains at home. No big deal.

ra_mom  

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 4:17 am
amother Currant wrote:
What's the problem with shower curtains? Why do they need to guard the curtain? Isn't it obvious that someone is in there when the shower is on?

I also have shower curtains at home. No big deal.

Your shower curtain at home is behind a locked door, is it not? 😊

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 4:19 am
I grew up going to camp with only shower curtains and it wasn’t a big deal at all 🤷🏽‍♀️
Not sure what the hysteria is about

amother
Stone

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 4:19 am
I'm not understanding the issue. Some of the best hotels that I've stayed at had curtains, not glass doors on their showers.

amother
NeonGreen

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 4:20 am
amother Currant wrote:

I don't know what the exact conditions are like at this camp, but to me it sounds like typical self conscious tween girls in department store dressing rooms who are convinced that everybody else in the store is just dying to get a glimpse of them through the tiny space between the curtains and the wall, insisting their mothers hold the curtains for them while they change.

LovesHashem  

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 4:22 am
Yeah I showered in a bathing suit. Everyone did. Just part of life in sleep away camp.

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 4:23 am
LovesHashem wrote:
Yeah I showered in a bathing suit. Everyone did. Just part of life in sleep away camp.

What did you do when you had your period?

LovesHashem  

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 4:24 am
amother OP wrote:
What did you do when you had your period?

I think I got my period after I stopped going to camp since I had moved to Israel.

amother
Moonstone

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 4:25 am
Sorry op but I don't see a problem. This is camp not a hotel.
I have fond memories when I was in camp Sternberg when we showered. We would put our bathing suits on and shower 2 at a time because usually there wasn't enough time.
We would take turns closing our eyes and the other would take their bathing suit off and soap up all over. It was part of the camp experience.

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 4:28 am
Seems like I'm the strange one here lol. What is the big deal to install normal doors so that self conscious teens can shower in total privacy?

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 4:31 am
amother OP wrote:
Seems like I'm the strange one here lol. What is the big deal to install normal doors so that self conscious teens can shower in total privacy?

Unless the kids arw on top of leaving them open you end up with mold and mildew. And as the bunkhouse shifts the doors no longer fit properly and don't close at all...
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children