Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Possible to do full day at American dream on a budget?
Previous  1  2

amother
Nectarine

Post Mon, Jul 15 2024, 8:25 pm
I took my kids similar ages. I gave them the choice of a small attraction or buying stuff. They chose buying stuff. In the lego store they have fill a container for about $10 so we did that. They chose something small at the candy store. They rode the $10 animals. We bought Cinnabons. Otherwise walked around and they had fun. They also enjoyed the slide at toys r us. If I would go back I would prob let them do one small attraction because they already saw the mall. Set your expectations before so your kids won't be disappointed. It's also a lot of walking so if your kids don't like that and will be kvetchy don't go.

amother
  Crimson

Post Mon, Jul 15 2024, 8:25 pm
amother OP wrote:
I hear. This is what I'm worried about

We went with 2 adults and 3 kids. We spent about $500. We did a bunch of activities and food. It was a blast. We also did the candy store and toys r us and walking around.

It wouldnt have been enjoyable to watch other people have fun even if we got ice cream cones.

Little kids can do that. Not older ones.

mizle10

Post Mon, Jul 15 2024, 8:27 pm
I can’t imagine going somewhere fun just to walk around and look at what there is to do- but not do it , with kids. No once comes home happy in this scenario.

amother
  Mauve  

Post Mon, Jul 15 2024, 8:28 pm
You have timed tickets and don’t really wait much.

amother
  Orchid  

Post Mon, Jul 15 2024, 8:30 pm
I've taken my kids there plenty of times to walk around, ride the animals, and maybe buy something small, plus pizza. They're very ok with it. I guess you have to know your kids. We don't vacation or do major expensive activities so they know that already and there was no kvetching or feelings of deprivation or that I was just showing them stuff to say no.

Keep in mind that lots of clothing stores and other stores are closed on Sundays due to NJ laws.

amother
  Molasses

Post Mon, Jul 15 2024, 8:32 pm
amother Crimson wrote:
We went with 2 adults and 3 kids. We spent about $500. We did a bunch of activities and food. It was a blast. We also did the candy store and toys r us and walking around.

It wouldnt have been enjoyable to watch other people have fun even if we got ice cream cones.

Little kids can do that. Not older ones.

I have teens, we’ve been many times and never spent anything close to that and my kids have enjoyed and asked to go back. It’s all about personalities and expectations.

Helenk

Post Mon, Jul 15 2024, 8:41 pm
Please note that if you plan to walk around and check out the stores, most of the shops are CLOSED on Sunday (the day OP said she plans to go) due to the Sunday Blue Laws. Some stores are open (The Address, Toys R Us, It’s Sugar), but almost all clothing stores are closed.

eagle

Post Mon, Jul 15 2024, 8:48 pm
What if only your two boys do an activity? Maybe the ropes course? Activate? It wouldn’t be activities that the younger ones would want to do.

amother
Junglegreen

Post Mon, Jul 15 2024, 8:53 pm
I think it’s a tease to take them there and not do the fun stuff. Maybe save up and go on chol hamoed.

amother
  Mauve  

Post Mon, Jul 15 2024, 9:06 pm
amother Junglegreen wrote:
I think it’s a tease to take them there and not do the fun stuff. Maybe save up and go on chol hamoed.

I don’t agree. The whole place is fun you don’t have to do major things.

amother
Lightpink

Post Mon, Jul 15 2024, 9:36 pm
I kind of agree that it would be hard for kids who like action to be expected to just walk around and look. But I think sometimes the amusement park has it cheaper for the last few hours so u might be able to do the rides after walking around and if u bring ur own food. If you don't need to go with them on rides ypu won't need to pay for admission for yourself or the baby who will hopefully just stay in a stroller. So it might be in ur budget if u get a bit creative with how u juggle your time.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Jul 15 2024, 10:05 pm
eagle wrote:
What if only your two boys do an activity? Maybe the ropes course? Activate? It wouldn’t be activities that the younger ones would want to do.

This might be a good idea.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Jul 15 2024, 10:05 pm
Thanks everyone for your thoughts and suggestions. What are the $10 animals that people are referring to? What age is that for?
I also see you can pay per ride in the amusement park so maybe they can pick one or two rides.... Or maybe it's best to just keep away altogether...

amother
Moonstone

Post Mon, Jul 15 2024, 10:20 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks everyone for your thoughts and suggestions. What are the $10 animals that people are referring to? What age is that for?
I also see you can pay per ride in the amusement park so maybe they can pick one or two rides.... Or maybe it's best to just keep away altogether...

Furry animals that u ride around the center of the mall.
The ropes course is deep inside of Nickelodeon, it’s great for kids who like climbing but you’re gonna prance them thru the whole theme park so think about that…

amother
  OP

Post Mon, Jul 15 2024, 10:25 pm
amother Moonstone wrote:
Furry animals that u ride around the center of the mall.
The ropes course is deep inside of Nickelodeon, it’s great for kids who like climbing but you’re gonna prance them thru the whole theme park so think about that…

What age are the animals for? How long do you get to go on them?

amother
  Orchid

Post Mon, Jul 15 2024, 10:42 pm
amother Junglegreen wrote:

Chol hamoed is usually swamped with tons and tons of frum ppl and there are free activities and shows. Most people are not spending money on the big activities and are walking around with their families.

amother
  Mauve

Post Mon, Jul 15 2024, 10:51 pm
amother OP wrote:

My older kids love taking the little ones on it. They drive around and they feel really big doing it. You have to be a certain height and know how to steer so you’ll need the bigger ones to to go with little ones.

amother
Ebony

Post Mon, Jul 15 2024, 10:53 pm
I was just there on Sunday with 2 boys ages 6 and 10. We did the animals for 15 minutes ($15 but you can do 10 minutes for $10), the train ride by toys r us $10, walked around toys r us, did the slide there a few times, got ice cream there and watched the skiing. They loved it. They also enjoyed the Lego people in front of the Lego store. We were there for almost 3 hours

amother
Poinsettia

Post Mon, Jul 15 2024, 10:58 pm
If your not looking to spend,money on amusement park, water park, skiing etc.and you say your kids are the type to like action. I'm sure they've heard,all about the,exciting attractions at,American dream. The little stuff. Walking around. Window shopping is going to be a major major tease
I wouldn't do it
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics