Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
DUMB?? -Who is intended audience for Mishpacha/Bina/Hamodia?
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 6:50 am
Baalas teshuva and former out of towner now living in Brooklyn. I see a lot of different magazines in the local grocery but haven't really bought other than local papers. Curious, can someone tell me more about these magazines? What type of audience are they geared for/read it? Are there hashkafic differences to know about?

Mishpacha Magazine
Bina Magazine
Hamodia

amother
Lightblue

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 6:58 am
Here are my guesses

For all of them, in general- JPF, yeshivish, and chassidish

of all three of those, MO I'm guessing would be most likely to read mishpacha.
And I would think binah skews most chassidish, but I could be wrong.

My mother who is a BT OOTin her 60s enjoys mishpacha and hamodia, but I think she skips most of both LOL

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 6:58 am
amother OP wrote:
Baalas teshuva and former out of towner now living in Brooklyn. I see a lot of different magazines in the local grocery but haven't really bought other than local papers. Curious, can someone tell me more about these magazines? What type of audience are they geared for/read it? Are there hashkafic differences to know about?

Mishpacha Magazine
Bina Magazine
Hamodia

An average frum housewife, with BY educational background and limited access to other media.

Mommyg8  

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 7:00 am
Binah and Hamodia are both published by the same company. They lean Chassidish/very right wing.

Mishpacha is geared towards everybody. It tries to be inclusive of all types. Practically speaking, and this is just my opinion, I think it is geared towards JPF.

LovesHashem  

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 7:04 am
amother Pearl wrote:
An average frum housewife, with BY educational background and limited access to other media.

I disagree. I greatly enjoy mishpacha and so do many others I know and I am not that lol.

Mishpacha has the highest level and quality of writing IMHO.

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 7:08 am
I think Mishpacha and Hamodia are found the most in chassidish homes.
Could be Bina leans for chassidish, I've personally never saw that, but there's no denying that anyone who enjoys a good magazine with the most tochen ends up going for Mishpacha.
OP I think all three are found in all homes of all backgrounds. It's geared toward people who enjoy reading, enjoy a good article and occasionally enjoy controversial topics.

giftedmom

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 7:14 am
I find the binah pretty yeshivish centric with that being the default in their stories and hashkafah

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 7:23 am
amother Teal wrote:
I think Mishpacha and Hamodia are found the most in chassidish homes.
Could be Bina leans for chassidish, I've personally never saw that, but there's no denying that anyone who enjoys a good magazine with the most tochen ends up going for Mishpacha.
OP I think all three are found in all homes of all backgrounds. It's geared toward people who enjoy reading, enjoy a good article and occasionally enjoy controversial topics.

I don't often read Binah, but the last time I read it they had an article about real estate. The article did not mention which area they were talking about, but I guessed it might be Boro Park (or maybe Williamsburg or Monsey?). It was just funny that they just assumed that their entire readership would know what they were talking about. I had no idea.

amother
DarkCyan  

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 7:35 am
amother Lightblue wrote:
Here are my guesses

For all of them, in general- JPF, yeshivish, and chassidish

of all three of those, MO I'm guessing would be most likely to read mishpacha.
And I would think binah skews most chassidish, but I could be wrong.

My mother who is a BT OOTin her 60s enjoys mishpacha and hamodia, but I think she skips most of both LOL

Do MO really read mishpacha?
I did not think so.

amother
Chambray

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 7:39 am
I used to say Mishpacha is the one who is created for a broader, more centrist crowd. The last year or so it’s become SO lakewood centric that I really can’t relate as much as I used to. Even the Kichels, I used to feel like it was about all of us (with a jab on the school acceptance process in Lakewood from time to time). Now I feel like it’s an inside joke and I’m on the outside.

amother
PlumPink

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 7:57 am
Mishpacha- has the best writing, some columns are better than others. Which isn’t saying much if you’re used to reading non Jewish magazines like Atlantic.

Binah- worst writing, very fluffy and unintelligent articles. Most cringe worthy fiction.

Ami - most sensationalist, has some decent fiction. Sometimes has good articles on historical events/figures.

Hamodia - I don’t buy this enough to review.

TLDR Mishpacha is the most readable.

amother
Honey  

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 7:57 am
amother DarkCyan wrote:
I did not think so.

Based on the letters to the editor, yes, there are a sizeable number who do.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 8:00 am
I used to read the French version of something like that. I stopped due to politics. I didn't even so much disagree as fed up.

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 8:06 am
amother Chambray wrote:
I used to say Mishpacha is the one who is created for a broader, more centrist crowd. The last year or so it’s become SO lakewood centric that I really can’t relate as much as I used to. Even the Kichels, I used to feel like it was about all of us (with a jab on the school acceptance process in Lakewood from time to time). Now I feel like it’s an inside joke and I’m on the outside.

Thats interesting. Most of the writers live in Israel, and that's where the magazine is produced. There's been so much war coverage and I find the kichels very funny and relatable, and I've never been to lakewood.

amother
Bottlebrush  

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 8:12 am
I don't get any of them but I've read Binah and Mishpacha/Family First when I've gotten copies of them.
I found Binah to be very yeshivish. I found the majority of the magazine articles to be very hashkafic or educational, not light, enjoyable, fun reading. I much prefer Family First on the whole, found that was more geared toward what I'm looking for when I sit down with a magazine- broader range of articles, lighter topics, more fiction.

amother
Mint  

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 8:16 am
LovesHashem wrote:
Thats interesting. Most of the writers live in Israel, and that's where the magazine is produced. There's been so much war coverage and I find the kichels very funny and relatable, and I've never been to lakewood.

This. I'm in Israel, really no Lakewood connection, and I haven't noticed any Lakewood-centric focus. Also FTR I am MO and read Mishpacha. Sometimes I disagree with their politics, but not always. And I enjoy their coverage, in general, of most issues.

amother
Navyblue

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 8:21 am
amother DarkCyan wrote:
I did not think so.

I am MO and I read Mishpacha online from time to time. I only read articles specifically relating to frum life. For general news and analysis, I read other publications.

amother
Clematis

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 9:05 am
I’m a geyoris with an advanced degree in an unusual science field from a prestigious university and I find Mishpacha to be great. Some topics are more interesting to me than others of course but I don’t find it to be dumbed down for someone with no exposure to the outside world. I follow outside news .

amother
Daffodil  

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 9:14 am
I like Ami best. The quality of the pages is amazing way better than above mentioned magazines

amother
Beige  

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 9:24 am
Mishpacha is far and away the highest quality writing. Most diverse and inclusive.

Ami skewes chassidish/New yorky but occasionally has some shocking stuff especially the kids magazine. Much lower quality writing, but some columns are great. I especially like Rabbis Moshe Taub and Shais Taub. Also Rabbi Kaminetzki is very good.

I find Binah boring and a bit preachy. Though I don't read it often enough to give an honest review.

Hamodia is the parent company of Binah.

I recommend that you find someone to give you a few of their old copies and see for yourself what you like.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics