Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps
Camp Malka delay
  Previous  1  2  3 8  9  10 15  16  17  Next

amother
  Seagreen  

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 8:44 pm
amother DarkPurple wrote:
My friend's daughter wants to stay. She said she's having a blast with her friends.
It's horrible they went through this, but definitely a lesson in flexibility.

Flexibility shouldn't include violating safety codes and bringing a bunch of kids from the safety of their homes to unfinished camp grounds and then to an unprepared motel.

amother
Snow

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 8:45 pm
ra_mom wrote:
How many years ago did this camp open up? 10?

They opened the summer of 2010

amother
Impatiens  

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 8:58 pm
amother Seagreen wrote:
Flexibility shouldn't include violating safety codes and bringing a bunch of kids from the safety of their homes to unfinished camp grounds and then to an unprepared motel.

I think she meant flexibility on the account of the girls. They learned to juggle not having their comfortable beds (or beds at all!) to sleep in, not having their personal items at their fingertips, food not being readily available, lost luggage, and yet be able to push thru the day.

Despite it all, some girls maintained a positive attitude and kept smiles on their faces. They made the best of it with their friends and turned it into an experience. Definitely a lesson in flexibility!

amother
  Charcoal  

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 9:03 pm
amother Impatiens wrote:
I think she meant flexibility on the account of the girls. They learned to juggle not having their comfortable beds (or beds at all!) to sleep in, not having their personal items at their fingertips, food not being readily available, lost luggage, and yet be able to push thru the day.

Despite it all, some girls maintained a positive attitude and kept smiles on their faces. They made the best of it with their friends and turned it into an experience. Definitely a lesson in flexibility!

Seriously??? Almost dehydrating in 90 degree weather. Not having pads on them. Not having food or water. Sitting in a parking lot for 10 hours straight. Sleeping on duffel bags after finally falling asleep hit hungry and exhausted at 3 in the morning.

Flexibility?????? NEGLECT!!!!

amother
  Charcoal  

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 9:05 pm
amother Crocus wrote:
I am a mother of 2 girls in camp who is standing on campgrounds right now and has been on the grounds last night and today
%5 yellers/screamers who are daughters of yellers and screamers
%5 happy girls who have nutty parents
%90 super happy up to the challenge girls who bawling now that they have to go home
the girls had breakfast lunch and supper
#dont believe everything you hear

So where do I fall???
A calm and upbeat mother who finally loses it when her 12 year old calls her crying at 1 in the morning that she’s just so so hungry???

amother
  IndianRed  

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 9:09 pm
How are you on the campgrounds? I thought they were closed.

amother
  Acacia  

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 9:30 pm
It's top news https://www.theyeshivaworld.co......html

amother
  Impatiens

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 9:35 pm
amother Charcoal wrote:
Seriously??? Almost dehydrating in 90 degree weather. Not having pads on them. Not having food or water. Sitting in a parking lot for 10 hours straight. Sleeping on duffel bags after finally falling asleep hit hungry and exhausted at 3 in the morning.

Flexibility?????? NEGLECT!!!!

Agree 100% - neglect from the camp department. But from the girls department, the girls that did the best they could and figured out workarounds displayed flexibility.

amother
  Lightyellow  

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 9:36 pm
amother Impatiens wrote:

Not having pads isn’t a nice way to learn flexibility. Thanks. It’s borderline neglect (actually it is)

amother
  Lightyellow  

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 9:41 pm
amother Mimosa wrote:
Just a reminder that there's a chazal that says that someone who shames/embarrasses someone publicly may not be zoche to Olam Haba.... let's just watch our words.

And what about starving and neglecting children publicly? Are they zoche?? 🧐

amother
  Charcoal  

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 10:13 pm
amother Impatiens wrote:
Agree 100% - neglect from the camp department. But from the girls department, the girls that did the best they could and figured out workarounds displayed flexibility.

Figured out work arounds? They’re kids. They fell asleep hungry because they had no other choice.

amother
  Nemesia

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 10:24 pm
ra_mom wrote:
How many years ago did this camp open up? 10?

The first year was 2010

amother
  Turquoise  

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 10:27 pm
amother Impatiens wrote:

I don’t think this is fair (don’t have kids in the camp so just chiming in now). Not everyone had the same challenges.

Some girls had beds and most of their luggage, some had neither, There was a big age range and just like in every camp there were girls that came with friends and some that find camp hard to begin with.

I cannot imagine girls being on their periods. If that was me my parents would have to come get me because I’m a heavy bleeder and have cramps, need access to a shower and my clothing etc. and I’m generally a super flexible person. Camping and go with the flow type.

amother
  Seagreen  

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 10:36 pm
amother Impatiens wrote:

Perhaps, but we don't proactively teach our kids flexibility by keeping them in the care of a group that has proven itself irresponsible. And while we can commend our kids for trooping through it, we don't downplay how utterly unacceptable and inappropriate it was for adults to treat children like this.

amother
  Seagreen  

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 10:39 pm
Not to mention, for those somehow allowing their kids to be taken to yet another location that presumably was not prepared for this.... they're going into shabbos. I'm just hoping there's functional ac and enough food and water for everyone before they go offline.

aria3578  

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 10:44 pm
amother Seagreen wrote:
Not to mention, for those somehow allowing their kids to be taken to yet another location that presumably was not prepared for this.... they're going into shabbos. I'm just hoping there's functional ac and enough food and water for everyone before they go offline.

Yes!! If my kid were there, I would tell
Her to come home for shabbos and see what’s going on Sunday morning

It’s impossible the campus is ready for shabbos

foreverone

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 11:30 pm
Omg. I can't believe what I just read. I would be going crazy if this happened to my DD.
what a crazy story.... I feel terrible for everyone involved
And these new campgrounds in Scotland is all prepared and ready for them?! Food? Mattresses? Their luggage for shabbos?

notshanarishona  

Post Fri, Jul 12 2024, 12:00 am
Why would anyone stay? They have clearly shown irresponsibility, poor planning, lack of judgment. I wouldn’t trust leadership like that to my kids. Would have been better for them to cancel camp.
I hope that the parents are allowed halachically to make a class action suit.

amother
Amber  

Post Fri, Jul 12 2024, 12:05 am
amother Slategray wrote:
This is not a new camp. For years this was an amazing, reliable, organized, caring camp. I'm definitely mad that this happened. My daughters have nothing to do all summer now. But if their age was staying I would definitely allow them to stay.

If I go on trips with my girls I'll be more then happy to take some more girls along:) so not to be bored I feel so bad for all these girls.

ra_mom  

Post Fri, Jul 12 2024, 12:20 am
notshanarishona wrote:
Why would anyone stay? They have clearly shown irresponsibility, poor planning, lack of judgment. I wouldn’t trust leadership like that to my kids. Would have been better for them to cancel camp.
I hope that the parents are allowed halachically to make a class action suit.

That's it. The lack of judgment is what's astonishing.
Page 9 of 17   Previous  1  2  3 8  9  10 15  16  17  Next Recent Topics