Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps
Camp Malka delay
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5 15  16  17  Next

amother
DarkPurple  

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 9:48 pm
I'm an outsider following cuz this sounds like an adventure.
but I have to put in my two cents that you can't judge. it sounds like this is an experienced camp that ran into some bumps but are working it out.
above we had two mothers saying their girls are happy and one whose daughter is crying. the crying could happen regardless. girls get homesick.
since this is an experienced camp, I'm sure they're all set up with sports, activities, etc, that they can do at an alternate location for the time being.
I actually look forward to hearing about their adventures from a couple of girls I know who went!!

amother
  Steel  

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 11:10 pm
justforfun87 wrote:
How much do you all pay for this camp? Yikes, this sounds crazy.

$3k for 4 weeks (many have to come home after 3 weeks because they commited to a job and at the last minute this camp pushed camp off a week).

amother
  Charcoal  

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 11:25 pm
amother DarkPurple wrote:
I'm an outsider following cuz this sounds like an adventure.
but I have to put in my two cents that you can't judge. it sounds like this is an experienced camp that ran into some bumps but are working it out.
above we had two mothers saying their girls are happy and one whose daughter is crying. the crying could happen regardless. girls get homesick.
since this is an experienced camp, I'm sure they're all set up with sports, activities, etc, that they can do at an alternate location for the time being.
I actually look forward to hearing about their adventures from a couple of girls I know who went!!

No, it's unacceptable. My daughter loves camp. She called me crying and now I'm crying at home. She said she's so hungry and there's nothing to eat. Their food is with their luggage in the camp grounds. I'm so sad I can't help her. She said girls are trying to get pads from instacart, they brought 2-3 pads for the trip and expected to have their duffle bags once in camp. They're there almost 12 hours and did nothing all day. I don't know how I'm going to sleep tonight.

amother
  Camellia

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 11:30 pm
amother Charcoal wrote:
No, it's unacceptable. My daughter loves camp. She called me crying and now I'm crying at home. She said she's so hungry and there's nothing to eat. Their food is with their luggage in the camp grounds. I'm so sad I can't help her. She said girls are trying to get pads from instacart, they brought 2-3 pads for the trip and expected to have their duffle bags once in camp. They're there almost 12 hours and did nothing all day. I don't know how I'm going to sleep tonight.

Oh my…
How old is your daughter?
They didn’t order supper for them?

amother
  Charcoal  

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 11:33 pm
amother Camellia wrote:
Oh my…
How old is your daughter?
They didn’t order supper for them?

She's 13.

I'm not sure. She said there was no lunch. She said supper was fish. And email said they had deli sandwiches, maybe there wasn't enough? I don't know. I spoke to her for maybe 20 seconds and she had to hang up.

amother
  Cantaloupe  

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 11:41 pm
“malka - every room has working AC and every girl has bed to sleep in . They are serving a hot buffet now for girls that are still hungry . There are 80 staff up there now and they are doing their best to keep kids happy and safe and fed . Some parents did come up to the site and brought their kids home until all the dust settles “.

amother
  Charcoal  

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 11:43 pm
amother Cantaloupe wrote:
“malka - every room has working AC and every girl has bed to sleep in . They are serving a hot buffet now for girls that are still hungry . There are 80 staff up there now and they are doing their best to keep kids happy and safe and fed . Some parents did come up to the site and brought their kids home until all the dust settles “.

Do they have their luggage? Pyjamas? Toiletries?

At 10:30 my daughter told me she was lucky because she has a bed.

I trust 0 coming from Camp Malka right now.

amother
  Charcoal  

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 11:45 pm
amother Charcoal wrote:
Do they have their luggage? Pyjamas? Toiletries? Linen?

amother
Bronze  

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 11:45 pm
I just spoke to someone who's there, sounds very chaotic. They're definitely working on it and trying to keep the kids happy but it does sound messy.

amother
  Charcoal  

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 11:46 pm
amother Charcoal wrote:
Do they have their luggage? Pyjamas? Toiletries? Linen?

amother
  Oldlace  

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 11:54 pm
Sometimes two things could be true.
It’s possible they are doing their best unprepared in this location.
But their best might not be enough to take care of young girls
It’s possible they managed to get food, but not enough
Making a makeshift camp in the last minute is definitely a huge feat and anything that they are doing is probably a huge deal . But here’s the thing . When it comes to children , feeling safe and secure is top priority. The kids here feel like they are in limbo. They are not displaced people in need of a place to stay. They are kids who bh have homes and have left to attend camp to be met with an uneasy sense of the unknown.
I feel terrible that the camp is grappling. However , the kids sense the chaos and it’s scary to them.

Bottom line : it was a HUGE mistake to bus girls to this hotel until plans - at least the hotel temporary plans were ironed out. Beds set up, luggage arrived, food in place, full schedule waiting.
The girls are waiting around as the staff is scrambling. It would have been a better idea to wait one day so the place could be outfitted and ready to start camp off with a bang in the new setting.

amother
Ballota

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 12:10 am
I know girls there
My sister included
I just spoke to her
She said she doesn’t have a bed and no luggage

She was given a banana and soggy deli sandwich for dinner

She’s begging to come home

And tbh I don’t know how they plan on doing shabbos like this
My sister said she overheard ppl saying they might just send the girls back tom bec it’s a disaster

amother
  Diamond  

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 12:18 am
There is nothing under control. My daughter does not have her luggage, food to eat or a bed to sleep in. There is no air conditioning in the hallways and the girls are tired, hungry, hot and overwhelmed.

amother
Tangerine  

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 12:30 am
Kept quiet all day.

My daughter was upbeat until now. Just called crying. They were told at 11 that they aren't getting their luggage tonight which includes pillows, blankets and nosh. She got a slice of bread for supper because she didn't fight for more food. At 11:30 some leftovers were brought over from a different camp which was polished off before all the girls arrived. The FIRST cases of water came along with the food . In middle of a heat wave they couldn't figure out how to get water for the girls to drink all day.

The camp sent out an email 2 hours ago full of lies about beds and luggage and supper etc.

Starting to get a feeling that people who are downplaying this dangerous fiasco, Yes it's a dangerous situation, are part of the ones that were behind this situation.

amother
  Beige  

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 12:33 am
Would a couple parents drive there and check it out?
How far is it from Lakewood/monsey/brooklyn/south fallsburg?

amother
  Tangerine  

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 12:36 am
amother Beige wrote:
Would a couple parents drive there and check it out?
How far is it from Lakewood/monsey/brooklyn/south fallsburg?

My 18 year old niece who is a counselor just confirmed this.

No need for anyone to go down unless they are picking up their children

amother
Turquoise  

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 12:41 am
amother Tangerine wrote:
Kept quiet all day.

My daughter was upbeat until now. Just called crying. They were told at 11 that they aren't getting their luggage tonight which includes pillows, blankets and nosh. She got a slice of bread for supper because she didn't fight for more food. At 11:30 some leftovers were brought over from a different camp which was polished off before all the girls arrived. The FIRST cases of water came along with the food . In middle of a heat wave they couldn't figure out how to get water for the girls to drink all day.

The camp sent out an email 2 hours ago full of lies about beds and luggage and supper etc.

Starting to get a feeling that people who are downplaying this dangerous fiasco, Yes it's a dangerous situation, are part of the ones that were behind this situation.

Can I ask you honestly why you sent your kid?

I see now that you have a niece there so that’s a better feeling but seriously keep your kids home until they can get their act together this is crazy. And it’s all fun and games until it’s not.

amother
Begonia  

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 12:49 am
amother Turquoise wrote:

I see now that you have a niece there so that’s a better feeling but seriously keep your kids home until they can get their act together this is crazy. And it’s all fun and games until it’s not.

Parents didn’t know most of this until the girls got there. They just said that they are going to the resort temporarily. Only after the girls got there , did we find out the girls were outside in the heat for hours with no drinks or food, they are still setting up beds , lots of girls don’t have luggage yet it’s a disaster

amother
  Tangerine

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 12:51 am
amother Turquoise wrote:

Because her personality is extremely resilient that she could deal with chaos. And shes not a 12-13 year old.

But me and I'm sure no one else imagined that someone would bring girls to such a situation.

Well now we know what type of person he is. He is AWOL literally. Whatever is being done today are by individuals who saw what's happening and jumped in to volunteer. Rabbis Perlstein from BRC (who brought the water and food) Kaszirer from Bikur Cholim of Lakewood. Mrs Oppenheimer who used to be the director until 3-4 years broke her leg a few days ago yet she got into her car and drove up this afternoon to see what she can do to help.

So yes I didn't realize that a camp owner would do this to kids.

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 12:51 am
Honestly I don’t understand how every single parent didn’t stick together and not send their child all these stories started coming in the night befor when staff got there they started taking away the girls phones becuase truth was getting out not one child belongs there period! This is beyond beyond dangerous and dysfunctional. Whoever is behind this camp should have cancelled to take achrayus on so many lives???!!! Sorry this is wrong beyond wrong I heard air of children did not get food since they left this morning if you are not the type to grab and fight for food you didn’t get so so sad.
Page 4 of 17   Previous  1  2  3  4  5 15  16  17  Next Recent Topics