Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
10 Yr old is BEDWETTING

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 4:51 pm
Does anyone have experience with a 10 year old that bedwetters? Is it normal? I am going insane and its really bothering me. If I don't take her at least once in the night to the bathroom, she will more often than not wet her bed. Once wet she will likely not wake up as she sleeps too deep. By day she's dry.

amother
Plum  

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 4:58 pm
Is she a mouth breather? Snoring? Sleep apnea?

It's more common than you think, but still not normal.

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 4:59 pm
What does her doctor think?

amother
Freesia  

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 4:59 pm
10 yrs is to older end but still normal imo. Been there done that. My oldest I kind of went a bit crazy tried alarm etc. eventually she outgrew was around 11 but it happened on it's own. My second one I didn't do anything it happened eventually on it's own too. She got lucky that I was so busy with oldest that kind of gave up doing anything with her... I used pullups I wasn't looking for extra daily laundry. My advice try to be chilled about it as much as possible not worth having stress about it. hopefully it happens soon enough for you. For me it runs in the family so not related to other things like constipation etc.

amother
  Freesia

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 5:11 pm
Also it's more common than you think just not discussed openly as much. I also don't share as much IRL to protect my kids privacy. Hatzlucha

comfort  

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 5:18 pm
I offered her pullups [and bribed her] but it didn't last long. Her Father used to bedwett as a kid although I don't know how old he was when it stopped.

comfort

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 5:20 pm
Tested her in the past for sleep apnea but she was fine.

amother
  Plum

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 6:56 pm
comfort wrote:
Tested her in the past for sleep apnea but she was fine.
What made you test her?

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 8:09 pm
My sons bedwet until 14/15… they take desmopressin. All my brothers struggled the same well into their teens and my sister also did until about 12.
Speak to your pediatrician about giving her desmopressin.

Please whatever you do- please do not shame her or yell at her or groan when doing laundry.. my mother did that to my brothers… it can cause so much shame..

I taught my kids how to wash their own linen but she is 10 so I don’t know if she is to young for that.. gam zeh yaavor… it’s an annoyance but a small problem…she will outgrow it! hatzalcha!

Edit- took my son to a urologist.. he said it’s common… normal. When I sent him to camp, I spoke to the camp mother and she said she has plenty of campers with this issue- talking about 13, 14 years old.

amother
Oldlace

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 9:03 pm
We had success with the dr sagee program.

amother
Grape

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 9:07 pm
amother Oldlace wrote:
We had success with the dr sagee program.

Came here to say that Dr Sagies program cured my 11 year old son.

RBPetra

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 9:50 pm
It's not uncommon, but definitely verify that she feels safe and isn't dealing with bullying or chas v'shalom an adult behaving inappropriately, especially if this is new. If she's doing well mentally and emotionally I would discuss options with her pediatrician. I've heard there are medications that can help kids wake up for this. Maybe teach her to strip/remake the bed afterwards in the meantime, just so she feels like she has something helpful to do that she can control, not as a punishment or anything like that
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children