Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Biting baby hasn't responded to interventions

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 10:30 pm
My LO has been biting at the breast. Hard, and clamps down like a pitbull. I know she's playing because she looks at me mischieviously and grins. When I yell "OW!" she laughs. I have tried giving her teethers when she bites, but she refuses them. I have tried firmly saying, "NO," and taking her off the breast - she cries and reaches for me and tries to find the breast again. Then she does nurse properly - until biting again a few minutes later.

I don't know what else to try. She is EBF (with some solids) and I nurse her to sleep, so I can't end a feed permanently. Any suggestions?

amother
Lotus

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 10:33 pm
I would stop nursing

mushkamothers

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 10:39 pm
Don't say ow and don't make drama. Immediately pop her off and stop the nursing session. Let her cry then offer again. Wait for her to bite again then stop the session again, this time for real. (Redress, get up, change positions... offer again in 5 minutes if still hungry.)

I've also heard but never had to try pushing their face in so they instinctively let go in order to breathe.

amother
Cherry

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 10:44 pm
mushkamothers wrote:
Don't say ow and don't make drama. Immediately pop her off and stop the nursing session. Let her cry then offer again. Wait for her to bite again then stop the session again, this time for real. (Redress, get up, change positions... offer again in 5 minutes if still hungry.)

I've also heard but never had to try pushing their face in so they instinctively let go in order to breathe.
Pinching their nose seems gentler than stuffing in their face 😳

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 10:46 pm
amother Lotus wrote:
I would stop nursing

I want to nurse for as long as possible, and this isn't enough for me to end it; I'm looking for other ways to deal with the issue.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 10:51 pm
amother Cherry wrote:
Pinching their nose seems gentler than stuffing in their face 😳

LOL ngl I LOL'd at the concept. I probably wouldn't do that, but thanks for the suggestion.

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 10:51 pm
I keep my finger at the corner of baby's mouth and pay attention. Baby can't bite while actively nursing, so as soon as nursing slows, put in a finger to break suction and prevent biting.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 10:52 pm
mushkamothers wrote:
Don't say ow and don't make drama. Immediately pop her off and stop the nursing session. Let her cry then offer again. Wait for her to bite again then stop the session again, this time for real. (Redress, get up, change positions... offer again in 5 minutes if still hungry.).

Maybe this is my issue. I will try being less amusing. Thanks!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 10:54 pm
amother Sapphire wrote:
I keep my finger at the corner of baby's mouth and pay attention. Baby can't bite while actively nursing, so as soon as nursing slows, put in a finger to break suction and prevent biting.

That sounds like a good thing to try. Did this stop your LO from attempting to bite again later, or is it only a reactive solution?

amother
Cherry

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 10:56 pm
amother OP wrote:
Maybe this is my issue. I will try being less amusing. Thanks!
Yes, the drama acts as positive reinforcement.

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 10:58 pm
amother OP wrote:
That sounds like a good thing to try. Did this stop your LO from attempting to bite again later, or is it only a reactive solution?

Most of my kids only went through short biting stages. I don't know if it was because I handled it this way or because the stage was over.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 11:02 pm
My baby’s speech therapist recommended the following
Don’t say ow
Don’t pull out as difficult as it may be
Lightly tap baby’s cheek 2-3 times strongly enough to be noticed but not hard enough to be ‘stern’
That’s supposed to remind the baby to keep eating.
Works on my baby except when he’s doing it out of anger/pain/frustration
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics