Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
S/O Kids and swimming...

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 7:54 pm
I've recently encountered a bunch of older kids that can't swim. And those kids feel bad to wear flotation devices when children their age or younger are swimming on their own and it just creates a really unsafe situation...
At what age did your kids learn to swim?
If it was later, was there a reason? and did you let them swim in camp/at other people's homes?

amother
Jasmine

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 9:08 pm
I can't swim. Do I count?

Why do they need to wear floatation devices once they're tall enough to stand in the shallow? When I was a kid, I hung out in the shallow end/along the walls.

My kids:
My girls learnt somewhere between the age of 8 and 11. Factors affecting
1) finances and
2) logistics (being able to take them to lessons)

My oldest son is 10 and hasn't learned primarily because of logistics. The boys lessons are set up very differently than the girls and are very impractical.

amother
Currant

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 9:16 pm
Some of my teens still can't swim Sad

We live OOT and have no access to a private pool or pool with separate swimming. I grew up like this also, but all of us kids always learned in camp.

Unfortunately my kids don't seem to have inherited my love for the water and many of them never go in the water in camp or take the opportunity to learn.

I don't know when paying for swimming lessons became a "thing" but it never was when I was growing up and isn't a possibility right now anyhow (for both financial and logistical reasons = won't be able to find tznius options here).

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 9:20 pm
Why aren’t they staying in shallow? It’s never too late too learn basic swim.

essie14

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 10:44 pm
I grew up without any after school activities or lessons but swimming was a huge priority. My parents made sure we could all swim at a young age. I started DD at lessons when she was 3 and before that in a wading pool so she's been comfortable in the water since birth.
I believe it's one of the most basic life skills a parent needs to teach their child.

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 10:54 pm
Unfortunately I have this on my mind too …
For some reason my kids camp isn’t taking them to a pool with shallow option and telling us to send in accessories. Background- I tried getting my kids swim lessons last summer they were 7 and 5.5 and they hated it. I think they got more scared. Paid a lot and it was pointless. I think they were too young.

amother
Marigold

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 5:38 pm
It's actually an opinion in the shulchan orach for a man to teach his kids to swim.

amother
Navyblue

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 5:41 pm
It’s in the Gemara in Brachos. A man has to teach his son Torah, teach his son a trade (so he won’t come to steal), and teach his son to swim (this is a life saving measure at times). That’s why I shell out the big bucks to teach my kids to swim.

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 5:42 pm
I wasn't officially taught, picked it up on my own. The camp I attended offered some 'lessons' by the head lifeguard, nothing very profession though. I love water and copied what I saw everyone else do till I passed the deep water test.

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 6:21 pm
my 10 year old passed the deep water test this past year so she was probably 9 at the time. her older sister was probably younger but covid got in the way of my daughter taking lessons.
my 5 year old started lessons this past year. I try to start them when they are younger since the only option is mixed swimming. they were a tznius bathing suit but still...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children