Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
What do you do when you have free time?

ftm1234  

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 1:04 pm
I feel like Instagram and YouTube have messed up my hobbies.

These days whenever I'm bored I just turn to screen time but I would really love to stop.

I enjoy coloring and painting very much but besides that I can't think of anything even though I know there used to be so many things I loved doing Sad

Help?

bgr8ful

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 1:08 pm
reading
finding new hikes nearby
baking
or take up an official hobby like learning an instrument, knitting, etc

SuperWify

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 1:15 pm
Read
Netflix too often I’ll admit
Listen to podcasts as I fold laundry or do another mindless task
Exercise classes

amother
Kiwi

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 3:45 pm
I never thought of my activities as "hobbies" because I'm not necessarily passionate about or proficient at most of them, but have been told they count as hobbies anyway. Make a daily to-do list that includes at least one hobby. You don't necessarily have to get around to it, it's just a reminder, not a straitjacket. By definition a hobby is something you do because you like it, not because you have to, and it still counts as a hobby if you've not done it in a long time. By definition I guess you could count screen time as a hobby. Who says all hobbies are necessarily beneficial?

ectomorph

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 3:53 pm
I write Isha Yiras Hashem. If you like writing, it's good to have an outlet.

Genius

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 4:34 pm
I have too much screen time too. I don’t know if these count as hobbies, but I enjoy puzzles and board games.

ftm1234  

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 5:14 pm
So I already have sudoku books and coloring books.

I would go biking a lot if it wasn’t so hot and I had somewhere to send my baby.

I could try learning something new but I don’t focus too well and get bored quickly unless it’s history or science related.

Thank you all for your ideas, let’s see if we can get some more

zaq

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 5:15 pm
Genius wrote:
I have too much screen time too. I don’t know if these count as hobbies, but I enjoy puzzles and board games.
Of course they do. Hobby is just another word for an activity you do frequently or regularly for fun in your free time. It doesn't qualify if you do it only once a year or so, or if you don't enjoy it.

ftm1234

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 5:16 pm
Any good book recommendations?

amother
Lightcyan

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 5:50 pm
What is free time? And where do I find some??

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 6:06 pm
diamond art

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 8:13 pm
I like to read.

I think we have to realize that screen time is here to stay and not beat ourselves up because we don't knit anymore or crochet or do crafts. this is not the world we live in anymore. of course if you want to, no one says not to, I just don't know how you'll take out paints or whatever in the few free minutes you have in a day.

amother
Opal

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 8:33 pm
I write stories. I like making up stories and jotting them down, not to do anything with them, just for fun. Not a lot of free time here, but it's nice when it happens...

You can teach yourself to draw (using books or youtube) or paint or juggle, or really anything that interests you.

You can also learn something Torah-based that you think is important -- either through online shiurim or books. Right now I listen to Rabbi Eliezer Krohn (Rabbi Pesach Krohn's son) for halacha, and a couple of others...but I also have a book that explains perakim of Tehillim and I'm trying to work my way through all of them (I've done about 11 so far, and keep reviewing them, so only 139 left!!). I have friends who learn Nach through a program called Nach Yomi.

amother
Oleander

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 9:52 pm
amother Lightcyan wrote:
What is free time? And where do I find some??

If your on here you clearly have some..

amother
Tuberose

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 9:58 pm
I love going on long walks to my library, taking pictures of pretty things, reading, baking, puzzles, sitting outside with a coffee, going out with friends (or even just hanging out with friends in their house)
Do I do all these when I have 5-10 minutes? No. I’ll reach for my phone.
On a day where my schedule is empty for a few hours I’ll pick one of those things to fill up my cup.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics