Forum -> Shopping
How do you pronounce kidichic?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

How do you pronounce kidichic?
Kiddy-chick  
 19%  [ 49 ]
Kiddy-cheek  
 27%  [ 71 ]
Whats the difference how it's pronounced?  
 3%  [ 8 ]
Whats kidichic/don't shop there  
 0%  [ 2 ]
I pronounce it differently than above  
 48%  [ 124 ]
Total Votes : 254

Cheiny

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 1:54 pm
amother Leaf wrote:
Definitely not.

Yes they are.

amother
  Celeste

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 1:57 pm
amother Leaf wrote:
Do you also pronounce drawer like draw?

No

amother
Hunter

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 2:21 pm
Yiddish speakers (or native boro Parker’s) pronounce the hard T in kitten, button, Italy, and mitten. Everyone else in America pronounces it with a soft T. Kidi is pronounced with a soft D (like midi)
And chic is a French word that is very very common, it’s used in English all the time.

As a side- Americans pronounce many French words with the French pronunciation while British do not. Think of the difference between American and British pronunciation of ballet or valet (American/french- Val- ay, British-va- let)
Perroquet the shoe store seems to be pronounced in the British variation of the French word, with the ET and not the AY, but that’s just what I’ve heard.

Brit in Israel  

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 2:27 pm
amother Hunter wrote:
Yiddish speakers (or native boro Parker’s) pronounce the hard T in kitten, button, Italy, and mitten. Everyone else in America pronounces it with a soft T. Kidi is pronounced with a soft D (like midi)
And chic is a French word that is very very common, it’s used in English all the time.

As a side- Americans pronounce many French words with the French pronunciation while British do not. Think of the difference between American and British pronunciation of ballet or valet (American/french- Val- ay, British-va- let)
Perroquet the shoe store seems to be pronounced in the British variation of the French word, with the ET and not the AY, but that’s just what I’ve heard.

Im born and bred British and its pronounce Ballay and valey....

amother
Stoneblue

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 2:37 pm
How about c’ moi
I pronounce is se mwa
People are pronouncing it cmoy. wrong.

amother
  Azure

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 2:38 pm
amother Celeste wrote:
Lol how often does this word come up in conversation that anyone should have a correct or incorrect way of pronouncing?

There’s a shoe company that goes by that name

funkyfrummom

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 3:45 pm
As someone who teaches decoding to children, letter D is always "Dee - dog - dah" and letter T is always "Tee - top - tah." But in spoken American English, when the t is an unaccented syllable, there is a slurring called a tap to smooth the sounds. In that process, t's come out sounding like d's.

Many (but definitely not all) American speakers do it. We definitely do it more than other English speaking countries. (Example, think of how someone visiting from the UK might say New York City... whereas we say New York Ciddy.)

Oh, and shek. Smile

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 4:06 pm
Genius wrote:
Maybe businesses shouldn’t give themselves unpronounceable names. If people need to Google how to pronounce your name your branding is subpar imo.

Quite the contrary.
Higher end brands are harder to pronounce, harder to find sizes (they bring in limited quantities) harder to order (the don’t have online) harder to shop (they look you up and down and make you beg for the privilege of buying).

This is the true marketing game.

Genius  

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 4:18 pm
amother Ruby wrote:
Quite the contrary.
Higher end brands are harder to pronounce, harder to find sizes (they bring in limited quantities) harder to order (the don’t have online) harder to shop (they look you up and down and make you beg for the privilege of buying).

This is the true marketing game.

They’re not higher end. They’re a cheap shoe brand. Gucci and Prada are rather easy on the tongue. Yves Saint Lauren left the chat.
Limiting the supply is a marketing technique. I don’t know about unspeakable names.

amother
Crocus  

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 4:25 pm
Genius wrote:
Maybe businesses shouldn’t give themselves unpronounceable names. If people need to Google how to pronounce your name your branding is subpar imo.

Chic is a common word in the English language. I'm surprised some people don't know how to pronounce it.

Now naming businesses Celuette or Certo. Now that's another story. I'm still trying to figure out why a clothing store would name their shop something so close to cellulite. Even when you Google, that's all that comes up. And Certo? I really want to know who this supermarket's marketing genius was.

Busybee5  

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 4:29 pm
amother Celeste wrote:
I pronounce them the same. I don’t know anyone who pronounces the ‘T’ in words like ‘kitten, mitten, fitting, betting, getting, hitting, hating, letting, netting, potting, rotting, setting, sitting, betting, wetting’

Born and bred New Yorker, not from Brooklyn

Hey us Brits do sound the T's! 👋
I pronounce it kiddy sheek

amother
Royalblue  

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 4:32 pm
amother OP wrote:
I say kiddy-chick but hear ppl say kiddy-cheek.
Which is right?

I could’ve worded this exact same way.

amother
  Royalblue  

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 4:36 pm
amother Celeste wrote:
I pronounce them the same. I don’t know anyone who pronounces the ‘T’ in words like ‘kitten, mitten, fitting, betting, getting, hitting, hating, letting, netting, potting, rotting, setting, sitting, betting, wetting’

Born and bred New Yorker, not from Brooklyn

Born and bred NYer.
Your saying you say like buh-in for button and stuff like that? Like dropping the T like the west coast.

amother
Oldlace  

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 4:36 pm
amother Hunter wrote:

British born and bred, and I'm a qualified English language teacher in high school.
There's no soft T in Britain. Definitely not one that's pronounced as a D. We say Mitten, fitting, kitty etc all with a hard T.
A hard T in a word like Mitten has nothing to do with speaking Yiddish here (I hardly speak or understand the language)

As for Ballet and Valet, it's pronounced Ballay and Valley in England.

Genius

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 4:38 pm
amother Crocus wrote:
Chic is a common word in the English language. I'm surprised some people don't know how to pronounce it.

Now naming businesses Celuette or Certo. Now that's another story. I'm still trying to figure out why a clothing store would name their shop something so close to cellulite. Even when you Google, that's all that comes up. And Certo? I really want to know who this supermarket's marketing genius was.

Kidichic is fine. I was carried away with somebody who gets annoyed by people who mispronounce perroquet (a cheap shoe brand).

amother
Brickred

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 4:42 pm
Kihdihchick

Hiding

amother
Birch  

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 4:50 pm
I'm a born and bred New Yorker, Flatbush til I was an adult, and I say kit-tin and mit-tin, but fidding, gedding, hurdding, etc.
I pronounce it kiddy-sheek.

Now I want to know how to pronounce Tottini Very Happy
Is it toe-teeny, or tot-teeny?
Don't even think of telling me it's tot-tiny. LOL

amother
  Royalblue  

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 4:52 pm
amother Birch wrote:
I'm a born and bred New Yorker, Flatbush til I was an adult, and I say kit-tin and mit-tin, but fidding, gedding, hurdding, etc.

I say toe teeny.

amother
  Crocus

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 4:54 pm
amother Birch wrote:

Tot Teeny

amother
  Birch

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 4:56 pm
amother Royalblue wrote:
I say toe teeny.

amother Crocus wrote:
Tot Teeny