Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
"My body hurts so I can't play" (age 3) update pg3
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

giftedmom  

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 1:07 am
Yes do specialized testing for Lyme. Try eliminating trigger foods one at a time and see if any of them make a difference. Gluten, dairy etc.
test for autoimmune diseases like crohns… check thyroid levels
Check for pinworms…
Check blood sugar…

amother
Impatiens

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 1:43 am
To get accurate Lyme testing results, you need to send out to California. IGeneX laboratory 1800 832-3200. I had a naturopathic doctor prescribe the tests and results came out 1 old inactive infection and one current one. Went through years of healing. B”h we are past it now.

amother
Foxglove

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 2:19 am
I would also get him tested for juvenile arthritis. You would likely need a pediatric rheumatologist to make the diagnosis but maybe his pediatrician can at least order some initial tests. Has he had fevers often? Or any rashes?

cnc

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 2:31 am
Another vote for a rheumatologist. Eye pain often comes along with arthritis/other autoimmune diseases...
Call Chaim Medical for a good referral.

Iymnok  

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 3:07 am
Dd seemed to have general tummy pain for a few months when she was 3. She complained every night at bedtime.
Her numbers from the blood test were high.
My Doctors regularly add celiac into blood tests.

Iymnok

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 3:08 am
Iymnok wrote:
Dd seemed to have general tummy pain for a few months when she was 3. She complained every night at bedtime.
Her numbers for Celiac from the blood test were high.
My Doctors regularly add celiac into blood tests.

amother
  Tiffanyblue

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 3:31 am
giftedmom wrote:
Yes do specialized testing for Lyme. Try eliminating trigger foods one at a time and see if any of them make a difference. Gluten, dairy etc.
test for autoimmune diseases like crohns… check thyroid levels
Check for pinworms…
Check blood sugar…

Just want to mention that it may not be ideal to do elimination diets before testing for food related issues. You usually need to have eaten enough of the food for it to trigger whatever it is they're testing for. I forget what it is they test for, but when I was testing for celiac, I specifically had to eat a certain amount of gluten for like 6 weeks before they did the tests, because I'd been gluten free for years. It's a bit sad and counterintuitive, but even for the endoscopy/colonoscopy, if I didn't have enough gluten to create destruction or irritation there, then it would look to them like I wasn't affected by gluten like a person with celiac. (Eating gluten for six weeks when you have a bad systemic reaction to it is really awful. I was feeling icky and brain fog every day.) So I wouldn't say to go if anything unless you decided you're not testing for anything.

joonabug

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 3:35 am
he really might have diabetes

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 5:18 pm
joonabug wrote:
he really might have diabetes

unlikely - it would have shown up on the bloodwork.

giftedmom  

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 7:07 pm
amother Tiffanyblue wrote:
Just want to mention that it may not be ideal to do elimination diets before testing for food related issues. You usually need to have eaten enough of the food for it to trigger whatever it is they're testing for. I forget what it is they test for, but when I was testing for celiac, I specifically had to eat a certain amount of gluten for like 6 weeks before they did the tests, because I'd been gluten free for years. It's a bit sad and counterintuitive, but even for the endoscopy/colonoscopy, if I didn't have enough gluten to create destruction or irritation there, then it would look to them like I wasn't affected by gluten like a person with celiac. (Eating gluten for six weeks when you have a bad systemic reaction to it is really awful. I was feeling icky and brain fog every day.) So I wouldn't say to go if anything unless you decided you're not testing for anything.

Just curious why you put yourself through all that if you were GF anyway?
I think if the kid goes off something and gets dramatically better within a few days there will still be enough antibodies and systemic damage to get a diagnosis. But yeah she can also just do the test.

amother
  Hibiscus

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 7:30 pm
giftedmom wrote:
Just curious why you put yourself through all that if you were GF anyway?
I think if the kid goes off something and gets dramatically better within a few days there will still be enough antibodies and systemic damage to get a diagnosis. But yeah she can also just do the test.

Not that poster but it's important to know if you are celiac vs sensitive. Makes a difference for things like cross contamination and also genetic stuff like if you need to worry about your children having it. Etc

amother
Linen

Post Sat, Jul 06 2024, 2:00 pm
Check for silent pneumonia.

amother
Smokey

Post Sat, Jul 06 2024, 2:11 pm
amother Aubergine wrote:
unlikely - it would have shown up on the bloodwork.

many drs dont check A1C but yeah if they did it would have shown up

giftedmom  

Post Sat, Jul 06 2024, 10:37 pm
amother Hibiscus wrote:
Not that poster but it's important to know if you are celiac vs sensitive. Makes a difference for things like cross contamination and also genetic stuff like if you need to worry about your children having it. Etc

If she was GF for years and feeling fine I don’t see the urgency TBH. And same with kids. Kids celiac symptoms are pretty obvious and worst case you do bloodwork. Better than torturing yourself for 6 weeks and damaging your intestines which can take years to heal.

amother
Geranium  

Post Sat, Jul 06 2024, 11:09 pm
I am following this closely.

OP, I am having a similar issue with my three year old. She complained of stomach pain for a while which ended up being strep. She doesn’t have strep anymore and she complains of different things all the time. She recently told me her whole body hurts, that’s how this thread caught my eye. I am at a loss as well.

amother
  Geranium

Post Sat, Jul 06 2024, 11:25 pm
amother Impatiens wrote:
To get accurate Lyme testing results, you need to send out to California. IGeneX laboratory 1800 832-3200. I had a naturopathic doctor prescribe the tests and results came out 1 old inactive infection and one current one. Went through years of healing. B”h we are past it now.

Which naturopathic Dr. did you go to?

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 8:00 pm
Update

Thank you to those who suggested celiac. The numbers came back suspect so we have to follow up with gastro.

I also noticed that he complains after eating gluten so that may explain the on/off nature of his complaints.

amother
  Amethyst

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 8:07 pm
Wow op what a relief
I'm so happy you're onto what's causing this BH

amother
Gladiolus

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 8:12 pm
Hplori, strong acid reflux, ibs Or celiac, a pediatric gastroenterologist can pinpoint where to start testing

amother
  OP

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 11:53 pm
I'm just beating myself up for not following up on this sooner. a whole school year of pain... and now I have to keep giving him gluten because our appointment is in another month...
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics