Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Helping one year old gain weight

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 10:36 am
Bh I have an adorbale active one year old. She’s always been on the smaller side and the pediatrician isn’t too worried but we’d like to help her put on some weight. Any recommendations of what to feed her? We do lots of yogurt, cheese, chicken. She refuses avocado.
Maybe chicken soup in a bottle? Taking all advice from the experienced moms out there

amother
Opal

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 10:41 am
Dairy and gluten might prevent some kids from gaining weight even if they aren't allergic or celiac. Just putting it out there.

Otherwise, using only extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil, baked goods with nut flour, avocado mousse or ice cream. Making sure he eats every 2ish hours but not in between so he's constantly snacking and never really hungry.

amother
Lemonlime

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 10:43 am
What's her general diet at the moment?

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 10:47 am
I have a 20 month old that's just about 20 lbs by now. Smaller side? Oh yeah. Try to make him gain weight? No way. Child is active Kah, doing what he's supposed to, cognitively, physically, and mentally. Some kids are just tiny.
I have a 7 year old son and a 9 year old son. My 7 year old is taller and bigger than my 9 year old. My 9 year old is is narrow, petite, and very skinny. Also doing exactly what he's supposed to.
I'm not quite understanding why you're looking for your child to gain weight.

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 10:47 am
When my daughter was underweight, I was told to add olive oil and techina to all of her food.
Now she is 3 and a bit overweight.

amother
Thistle

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 10:48 am
Baby friendly high calorie foods-

Rice mixed with pieces of ground beef and flavored with sesame oil and a drop of soy sauce

Potato kugel

Peanut butter on toast

Cholent with marach/marrow bones

Fried scrambled or sunny side up eggs

Fried or baked chicken fingers coated in crushed nuts

Rice mixed with crushed up falafel balls and lots of chummus/techina

Op, I had a child who literally barely ate from age 1-3. So when she did eat we tried to make each bite as high calorie as possible. My pediatrician said, when all else fails, give her full fat ice cream. It’s not more sugary than those junk “kids” yogurts.

giftedmom

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 10:52 am
Bone marrow soup
Peanut butter
Butter… sneak it into everything
Full fat mayo…

amother
Lemonlime

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 11:21 am
amother Mauve wrote:
I'm not quite understanding why you're looking for your child to gain weight.

It's quite simple actually

amother
Dahlia

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 11:26 am
Does baby have a healthy appetite? How are her oral motor skills? I second the gluten and dairy preventing weight gain theory.

I always wonder at all the fat suggestions. Don't we know by now that fat doesn't make you fat? It's carbs that trigger insulin, the fat storing hormone.

amother
Jean

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 11:42 am
We gave pediasure instead of milk starting at 9m - toddler is 2.5 and 22 lbs Smile

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 11:48 am
The advice we were given for my preemie was to offer more frequent meals/healthy snacks, because he wasn't capable of taking more at one sitting.
But a kid isn't gaining weight, the real concern is to make sure there isn't a medical issue preventing her from gaining.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 12:09 pm
If your child has been gaining consistently on his/her growth curve and is meeting developmental milestones, don’t try to encourage more weight gain. Pediatricians are usually alarmist about this, so if yours is ok with it, it should be extra assurance that your child is gaining fine. The worry would be if there is no weight gain or growth or there are noticeable developmental delays combined with slow gain.

That being said, there are things you can and should do- feed your child a healthy, well-balanced, nutritionally dense diet. Skip the processed food or limit it. A diet around breads and pastas (unless homemade) is not particularly nutritious. Feed your child real animal protein and fresh produce. Water, no juice. Cereal is junk food, skip it. Do not use any reduced fat products, fat is an important nutrient for brain development and mood regulation. When your child does not eat a lot, every bite counts towards good nutrition. Encouraging snacking regularly is not necessary and will set up bad habits for life. Don’t obsess over the scale, just feed your child.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 1:00 pm
We added coconut oil to whatever food we could

amother
Thistle

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 1:13 pm
amother Dahlia wrote:
Does baby have a healthy appetite? How are her oral motor skills? I second the gluten and dairy preventing weight gain theory.

I always wonder at all the fat suggestions. Don't we know by now that fat doesn't make you fat? It's carbs that trigger insulin, the fat storing hormone.

First of all, babies who are underweight are usually that way because they aren’t capable of taking in enough calories. Adding fat is the easiest way to get more calories into their diet since it’s not bulky. Secondly, it’s usually not the exact number on the scale that parent are worried about, it’s that their baby isn’t getting enough calories to support healthy brain health. Fat, not carbs, are essential for proper brain development. Third, and most important, generally, weight gain is mostly dictated by calories in/calories out. Not by the source of the calories. So again, fat being the highest in calorie, will lead to the most weight gain.

#BestBubby

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 1:24 pm
Milkshake

Whole milk
Egg
Spoon of avocado
Frozen ripe banana
Vanilla
Sugar or honey

scruffy

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 1:26 pm
Salmon

amother
Oatmeal

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 6:06 am
Our baby wasn’t gaining weight for over six months due to feeding issues. Feeding therapist recommended adding fat to the diet until we can add more foods.
Add olive oil to apple sauce and baby purée.
Add heavy cream to full fat yogurt.
Add heavy cream to red milk.
Add nut butters when you can.

This helped my baby start to gain a bit of weight.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics