Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Ivory wedding gown

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 8:42 pm
My daughter fell in love with a beautiful off white/ivory wedding gown

Is this OK? Or does it need to be pure white?

amother
Viola

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 8:45 pm
We specifically don't do pure white (I don't think it's a Jewish rooted custom to do white at all AFAIK) but I don't know if that's just Chabad.
Mine was off-white and beautiful

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 8:45 pm
I think it’s totally fine! Most important that she feels beautiful

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 8:47 pm
I love ivory. Wore an ivory gown.

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 9:13 pm
amother Viola wrote:
We specifically don't do pure white (I don't think it's a Jewish rooted custom to do white at all AFAIK) but I don't know if that's just Chabad.
Mine was off-white and beautiful

What do you mean about chabad?
We have been Chabad for many generations. My friends, sisters, cousins, and I all wore white or off white depending on our own preference.
I know two large Chabad families that have a minhag not to wear pure white. But that’s it.

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 9:14 pm
Mine was ivory covered in gold lace.

Chayalle

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 9:44 pm
My DD's gown is sort of cream. Not white. We are all wearing different cream florals to coordinate.

amother
Viola

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 9:51 pm
amother Copper wrote:
We have been Chabad for many generations. My friends, sisters, cousins, and I all wore white or off white depending on our own preference.
I know two large Chabad families that have a minhag not to wear pure white. But that’s it.

I think there's a source for it, I'll have to check it up. Not saying anyone who wears white is doing the wrong thing, but it's a thing. If I'm not mistaken I think the Frierdiker Rebbe asked Rebbetzin Chaya Mushka not to wear pure white.

amother
Lightblue

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 9:58 pm
amother Copper wrote:

I know of one Chabad family that has the minhag to wear pink wedding gowns

amother
Watermelon

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 10:07 pm
amother Viola wrote:
I think there's a source for it, I'll have to check it up. Not saying anyone who wears white is doing the wrong thing, but it's a thing. If I'm not mistaken I think the Frierdiker Rebbe asked Rebbetzin Chaya Mushka not to wear pure white.

The Rebbetzin specifically asked Rivky Slonim not to wear white, she wore pink. But that’s not general Chabad minhag.

amother
Honey

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 10:42 pm
amother Viola wrote:

Because rebbetzen Chaya Mushka had two forms for her wedding. Ice blue and ice pink.
She told Esther Sternberg not to wear a white gown. So she wore an ice pink gown. Her daughters and granddaughters follow thru.

amother
Honey

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 10:44 pm
Pure white is chukas non jews. Hence why lots of ppl will wear off white/ cream. Or extremely light color that’s looks white.

amother
Viola

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 10:54 pm
amother Honey wrote:
Pure white is chukas non jews. Hence why lots of ppl will wear off white/ cream. Or extremely light color that’s looks white.

I thought this was interesting
https://www.chabad.org/library.....g.htm
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics