Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices -> Social Media
Is imamother social media?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 11:34 pm
I'm not on any social media, but then I realized maybe I am because I'm on here? But it's only a website so maybe it's not social media?

write4right

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 11:35 pm
Yes

Peersupport

Yup.

It’s okay to have a virtual social life.
Just make sure you aren’t neglecting your relationships irl.

amother
PlumPink

Of course it is

sequoia

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 11:36 pm
Yes it is.

Actually for me this feels *more* like social media than my locked profile on FB.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Jun 28 2024, 2:10 am
amother OP wrote:
I'm not on any social media, but then I realized maybe I am because I'm on here? But it's only a website so maybe it's not social media?

Whats fb or instagram or any other social media, not websites? Of course this is social media. Im never sure why women here think it isnt.

essie14

Post Fri, Jun 28 2024, 2:22 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Whats fb or instagram or any other social media, not websites? Of course this is social media. Im never sure why women here think it isnt.

Agree. This question keeps coming up every other week.
Why do people think it's not social media?

Elfrida

Post Fri, Jun 28 2024, 3:24 am
Maybe because its only conversation, with very limited pictures?
Or because there's no app and you don't get pop up notifications?

TR91

Post Fri, Jun 28 2024, 4:59 am
Elfrida wrote:

And also private? Less going into someone's personal life that you know personally?

singleagain

Post Fri, Jun 28 2024, 7:35 am
It's media. And it's social. Are you interacting with other women? Or is everyone but you a bot?

It might not feel like modern social media, but that's bc it was started in like 2004... And has not been updated in the same ways that Facebook etc has been.

Imamother is an OG social media that hasn't gone through that many face lifts. And hasn't kept up with all the trends of social media in the last twenty years.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Fri, Jun 28 2024, 8:05 am
Elfrida wrote:

Not everyone has apps and pop ups for other sites.
I have a web browser, use fb on the browser.
That specifically is not an indicator of anything.

amother
Ballota

Post Fri, Jun 28 2024, 8:45 am
singleagain wrote:
It's media. And it's social. Are you interacting with other women? Or is everyone but you a bot?

It might not feel like modern social media, but that's bc it was started in like 2004... And has not been updated in the same ways that Facebook etc has been.

Imamother is an OG social media that hasn't gone through that many face lifts. And hasn't kept up with all the trends of social media in the last twenty years.

What about magazines that have letters to the editor? Social and media.

amother
Peachpuff

Post Fri, Jun 28 2024, 8:46 am
I'm allowed imamother with my filter (blocks certain posts) but not allowed fb or Instagram. Guess it's not as considered SM compared to the 2

singleagain

Post Fri, Jun 28 2024, 8:55 am
amother Ballota wrote:

I never really thought about that. When I googled social media definition, most of those definitions seemed to indicate that one key aspect for social media is that it takes place on the Internet. So by that virtue, no magazines would not be social media.

I think it's also more do to with the fact that magazines, even letters to the editor are not really all that interactive. And I believe the Internet and interaction, is more of a defining feature of social media. Also, with a magazine, it's more of like a pen pal, where you're only communicating with one person, the editor and not many.

Part of what makes social media social is the varied interaction. Social media as a term seems to have been invented in 1994 "Going back even further to 1994, we find Darrell Berry who claims to have coined the term whilst he was developing Matisse, an online media environment." (https://www.giraffesocialmedia.co.uk/who-coined-the-term-social-media-first/)

And Imamother in particular is more the style of old bulletin board website. I mean... We still use the BBC (bulletin board code) to enhance our messages, with color and size and such...

singleagain

Post Fri, Jun 28 2024, 8:56 am
amother Peachpuff wrote:
I'm allowed imamother with my filter (blocks certain posts) but not allowed fb or Instagram. Guess it's not as considered SM compared to the 2

It's a bulletin board website which was practically the first social media websites.

GLUE

Post Fri, Jun 28 2024, 9:31 am
amother Ballota wrote:

On Imamother people post then it's moderated
Letters to the editor is moderated before many magazines will only publish letters that fits in there agenda no debate letters
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices -> Social Media