Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
By collecting tzedaka you're raising everyone's standards!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 7:27 am
Yom Tov time is a very sad time for many single people. The jewelry that they get is not real and it helps that they shouldn't feel so sad.

amother
  Lightgray

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 7:28 am
amother Burgundy wrote:
Yom Tov time is a very sad time for many single people. The jewelry that they get is not real and it helps that they shouldn't feel so sad.

I don’t mean to be insensitive but it’s also a very sad time for me, being unable to afford even basics because life is just so so expensive.

amother
  Crystal

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 7:30 am
amother Lightgray wrote:
I don’t mean to be insensitive but it’s also a very sad time for me, being unable to afford even basics because life is just so so expensive.

But Boruch Hashem you have a husband? If you do, count your blessings.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 5:16 pm
amother Gray wrote:
I was at a fundraiser for almonos and they said they send a piece of jewelry to every woman before every yuntif and lots of other caring touches. They then mentioned how large their budget was (in the millions per year) … I thought about how many women who were at that fundraiser themselves couldn’t afford a gift of jewlery at every yuntif and how maybe while we all have tremendous rachmanus on the women maybe we need to have sensitivity to the klal at large. I understand sending matzahs and money for simchas and tefillin and other more practical stuff but flowers and jewelry for every single yuntif seemed to me a bit over the top

It’s costume jewelry. And I’m sure they get bulk discounts. I can’t imagine each piece I’ve received cost anything more than $10.

It’s a little gesture. Not 14k and diamonds.

Do you also think store bought birthday cards are over the top, since the nice ones are $6? You can take a piece of printer paper for .002 cents and draw a flower yourself!!!!!!!

evi  

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 9:49 pm
amother Crystal wrote:
They're talking about a set. Two fitted sheets, duvet covers, and pillowcases.

So at $50 for two sheets, plus pillowcases and duvet covers added, that easily adds up to 150 to 200 dollars. So that's the cheapest really.

And completely off topic, but I'm looking for light blue cotton fitted sheets and haven't found anything under $70. Can you link?

https://www.thecompanystore.co.....aw.ds

evi  

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 9:51 pm
amother Slateblue wrote:
Yes, I just bought very nice all cotton sheets in lovely colors for less than $50. Why would I spend more when less is more than good enpigh?

I meant cheap $20 sheets. $50 is not cheap, it is reasonable. Do you buy duvet covers?

evi

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 9:53 pm
amother Crystal wrote:
I agree that the really cheap sets can feel like sandpaper, but there's something in between sandpaper and brocade.

I just checked a Jewish linen website and I see some very nice choices for around 200 to 300.

My point was don't buy sandpaper for cheap. There is a middle road.
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics