Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
If you DID NOT sleep train
Previous  1  2

amother
Arcticblue

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 2:34 pm
At about 18 months or earlier depending on the kid I start transitioning them to a pack n play in my room. When they wake up they come into my bed and stay there.

By now my 20month old sleeps through the night mostly in the pack n play. This was a kid who was a very bad sleeper as a baby...

My bed is the floor bed, this way I can get up without worrying, put baby to nap in my bed, etc. Best thing I ever did. (I just moved my mattress to the floor and took the bed frame out.)

amother
Marigold

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 2:55 pm
amother OP wrote:
What's the process for night weaning?

I’m going to slowly stretch her nights and time between feeds. So I’ll nurse her to sleep at 7 like I usually do and then when she wakes up around 9 or 10, I’ll come to her and rock her, comfort her, etc but not nurse. Every few days I’m going to take away another feeding at night until she can make it through the night. (Obviously for this you MUST make sure your baby’s getting enough throughout the day and only nursing for comfort at night)

amother
Ultramarine

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 3:01 pm
amother Marigold wrote:
I’m going to slowly stretch her nights and time between feeds. So I’ll nurse her to sleep at 7 like I usually do and then when she wakes up around 9 or 10, I’ll come to her and rock her, comfort her, etc but not nurse. Every few days I’m going to take away another feeding at night until she can make it through the night. (Obviously for this you MUST make sure your baby’s getting enough throughout the day and only nursing for comfort at night)

This. I only night weaned at like 11 months when she was only eating once at night. She cried for about 5-10 minutes for 3 nights as I rocked her and kept putting her paci in and then it was over.

I don't think I felt as bad about her crying, then when trying to sleep train because when you're weaning from night feeding it's in the middle of the night and you're half asleep and exhausted. Kind of like stuffing the pacifier back in and being like just going to sleep

the world's best mom

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 3:33 pm
I don't think you wany my advice, unless you wanted to give up on sleeping for a long time.

My baby is 17 months old. She nurses to sleep any time between 8:30 and midnight. I put her in the crib, and she sleeps there until her first feeding, usually around an hour after she goes in. Then she has her nights that she's up only 2 or 3 times to nurse, and other nights when she pretty much nurses continually throughout the night. Those nights are generally when she's cutting a tooth or has an ear infection. She's had 7 or 8 ear infections. She wakes up for the day any time from 5-7.

Yeah, we are tired. And her naps last around 20-30 minutes in the crib, and then she'll sometimes sleep more on my shoulder.

amother
Stonewash

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 4:33 pm
I've never heard of a floor bed. Can anyone post a link?

Odelyah

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 4:35 pm
amother Latte wrote:
She can't overeat while nursing and she's clearly not over eating solids.

This--2 of my sons were very big and chubby exclusively nursing at 8 mos and they naturally slimmed down--they ended up being very tall and skinny. Fat from nursing is healthy fat--please don't worry about it at all!

amother
Ultramarine

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 4:37 pm
amother Stonewash wrote:
I've never heard of a floor bed. Can anyone post a link?

Just Google the term.

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 4:38 pm
amother Latte wrote:
There is a space between letting a baby cry and nursing them to sleep. You can comfort them by sitting next to them, patting them, and/or singing them until they fall asleep. You can't stop them from fussing at all, but they don't have to be screaming. Exactly like you would do to an older child.

Agree 100%, especially with a baby older than 1 year like OP’s

Odelyah

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 4:44 pm
amother Ultramarine wrote:
After a failed transfer to a crib we used a floor bed at 10 months. I would lay down to sleep and she'd wake up one or twice and someone would come back down to lay with her.

We entirely baby proofed the room and at 15 months began keeping the door closed and she began sleeping through the night.

Now she is 2.5 and I still lay down with her to sleep, until she falls asleep and she sleeps through the night.

This, except without the attempted crib transfer, and we did it at around a year with our first, and later with some of our others. It mostly depended on whether I was expecting and when I was due, because I wanted to get the toddler used to sleeping in their own bed and room before I had a newborn in my bed, and I didn't want it to happen too close to the birth so they wouldn't blame the new baby for kicking them out of my bed Smile

Odelyah

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 4:50 pm
For us, the floor bed was a futon mattress on the floor. Really important to make sure the room is safe, door is closed (we put a hook and eye latch on the outside to make sure it stayed closed) and put a safety gate at the top of the stairs if you have stairs. some people put a gate at the bedroom door if you don't like the idea of the latch.

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 4:54 pm
the world's best mom wrote:
I don't think you wany my advice, unless you wanted to give up on sleeping for a long time.

My baby is 17 months old. She nurses to sleep any time between 8:30 and midnight. I put her in the crib, and she sleeps there until her first feeding, usually around an hour after she goes in. Then she has her nights that she's up only 2 or 3 times to nurse, and other nights when she pretty much nurses continually throughout the night. Those nights are generally when she's cutting a tooth or has an ear infection. She's had 7 or 8 ear infections. She wakes up for the day any time from 5-7.

Yeah, we are tired. And her naps last around 20-30 minutes in the crib, and then she'll sometimes sleep more on my shoulder.

So you don’t sleep.
No wonder you are the worlds best mom 😉
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics