Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
If you DID NOT sleep train
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 11:33 am
and/or coslept and your baby is 1 or older, what does sleep look like for you?

Help a tired mama who doesn't have the heart to sleep train!

amother
Bone

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 11:35 am
I seem to usually co-sleep until my babies are about a year and a bit, then put them in a different room to sleep.

I do a gentle sleep training. So, first I'll put hem down and walk out of the room for a moment, then five minutes, then ten, then...

The first few nights are rough, but they do settle down after that.

amother
IndianRed

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 11:41 am
My one year old wakes every three hours, but settles back well after a feed.

amother
OP

amother Bone wrote:
I seem to usually co-sleep until my babies are about a year and a bit, then put them in a different room to sleep.

I do a gentle sleep training. So, first I'll put hem down and walk out of the room for a moment, then five minutes, then ten, then...

The first few nights are rough, but they do settle down after that.

That's pretty much the Ferber method. I was thinking to do this but DH is really against it.

amother
Poinsettia

He still doesn’t sleep without me and I’m almost due with my next one.

No idea what I’ll do…

giftedmom

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 11:45 am
She wakes up 0-2 times a night depending on the stage but usually goes back to sleep quickly

amother
Bone

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 11:46 am
amother OP wrote:
That's pretty much the Ferber method. I was thinking to do this but DH is really against it.

Is DH the one who keeps waking up?

amother
DarkPurple

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 11:57 am
Until my baby was a full yr old , she did not have a set time that she would go to sleep.
Half the time she would go to sleep with me, late sleep half the day, 3 naps, go to sleep at 11..

But now baby is 16 months and goes to sleep at a set time, 8:30, will wake up 1-2 times a nigh tand sleep until Im up, and takes 1 nap a day..

It definitely gets easier!

I always did and still co sleep with her.
Will prob get a toddler bed in a month.

amother
DarkPurple

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 12:04 pm
And even though I bh have a full family .
I dont have the heart to let my baby cry, it took a yr for them to settle into routine but it happened.

amother
Yarrow

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 12:09 pm
Mother of many kh, never sleep trained & never co- slept. If they have a somewhat steady day routine & are well fed they eventually fall into a sleep pattern. Some I nursed to sleep for way to long but they all grow up eventually..

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 12:22 pm
I have 3 kids, none were officially “sleep trained” like with CIO or Ferber but I encourage healthy sleep habits, like sleeping in their crib for naps and nights, encourage eating enough during the day so they’re not hungry at night, etc. They all slept in a crib in my room till around 6 months and then I moved them to their own room.

1 baby started “sleeping through the night” around 6 months old, and the other 2 babies started sleeping through the night at around 2-3 months old. There were setbacks with sleep regressions etc, we helped them gently through it, never left them to cry alone.

I have a 5 and 7 year old now who wake me up at night more than my 1 year old LOL. My 5 and 7 year old sleep about 10-11 hours a night and my 13 month old sleeps 11-12 hours a night.

However, all my kids were exclusively on formula which makes a big difference with sleep habits. And I “got lucky” with my 2 babies who slept through the night at 2-3 months. I don’t think that’s something you can “train”, either they do it or not.

If you want my best tip it’s this- babies will not sleep through the night until they are getting all their calories during their awake time. So if your baby isn’t capable of eating enough during the day, you don’t have much of a chance of them dropping nighttime feeds. It’s not always something you can control. But starting at around 5-6 months there are ways you can gently encourage more daytime eating.

amother
Marigold

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 12:22 pm
My baby is one kah. I never sleep trained, co slept until about 7 months and then moved her to her own room. At the beginning I was in there rocking and nursing her back to sleep about every hour. After about a week it stretched to two hours. By now it varies, she wakes up anywhere from 1 to 4 times a night but just needs to be quickly rocked back to sleep. She’ll usually do a 4 or 5 hour stretch so I’m much more well rested. I am planning on slowly weaning her at night so we’ll see if that makes a difference
Hang in there mama❤️

amother
Latte

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 12:30 pm
There is a space between letting a baby cry and nursing them to sleep. You can comfort them by sitting next to them, patting them, and/or singing them until they fall asleep. You can't stop them from fussing at all, but they don't have to be screaming. Exactly like you would do to an older child.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 1:18 pm
amother Bone wrote:
Is DH the one who keeps waking up?

Hehe good point. But I want us to be on the same page.

amother
Ultramarine

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 1:20 pm
After a failed transfer to a crib we used a floor bed at 10 months. I would lay down to sleep and she'd wake up one or twice and someone would come back down to lay with her.

We entirely baby proofed the room and at 15 months began keeping the door closed and she began sleeping through the night.

Now she is 2.5 and I still lay down with her to sleep, until she falls asleep and she sleeps through the night.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 1:24 pm
amother Papaya wrote:
If you want my best tip it’s this- babies will not sleep through the night until they are getting all their calories during their awake time. So if your baby isn’t capable of eating enough during the day, you don’t have much of a chance of them dropping nighttime feeds. It’s not always something you can control. But starting at around 5-6 months there are ways you can gently encourage more daytime eating.

She's 8 months and I nurse evey 3-4 hours during the day. I also try to feed her some solids such as fruit and veggie pouches, pureed soup, pancakes/waffles but she only eats 2-3 bites and is done.

What am I doing wrong? Also, how do I know if she's overeating? She's on the chubbier side and has been since birth. Now I have a hangup about it (thanks MIL)

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 1:25 pm
amother Marigold wrote:
My baby is one kah. I never sleep trained, co slept until about 7 months and then moved her to her own room. At the beginning I was in there rocking and nursing her back to sleep about every hour. After about a week it stretched to two hours. By now it varies, she wakes up anywhere from 1 to 4 times a night but just needs to be quickly rocked back to sleep. She’ll usually do a 4 or 5 hour stretch so I’m much more well rested. I am planning on slowly weaning her at night so we’ll see if that makes a difference
Hang in there mama❤️

What's the process for night weaning?

amother
Latte

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 1:28 pm
amother OP wrote:
She's 8 months and I nurse evey 3-4 hours during the day. I also try to feed her some solids such as fruit and veggie pouches, pureed soup, pancakes/waffles but she only eats 2-3 bites and is done.

What am I doing wrong? Also, how do I know if she's overeating? She's on the chubbier side and has been since birth. Now I have a hangup about it (thanks MIL)

She can't overeat while nursing and she's clearly not over eating solids. But assuming no allergies, I would start feeding her real meals. Whatever you eat feed her.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 1:30 pm
amother Ultramarine wrote:
After a failed transfer to a crib we used a floor bed at 10 months. I would lay down to sleep and she'd wake up one or twice and someone would come back down to lay with her.

We entirely baby proofed the room and at 15 months began keeping the door closed and she began sleeping through the night.

Now she is 2.5 and I still lay down with her to sleep, until she falls asleep and she sleeps through the night.

So I've seriously been considering a floor bed since she sleeps fine (daytime) when I lay her on my bed and soothe her then slowly remove myself. Obviously I set up the room so she can't roll off and keep a camera there so I can get her the minute she wakes up.

The problem is that I need my bed during the night....

Since we lowered her crib mattress, I'm only able to get her in there very occasionally

amother
Ultramarine

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 1:41 pm
amother OP wrote:
So I've seriously been considering a floor bed since she sleeps fine (daytime) when I lay her on my bed and soothe her then slowly remove myself. Obviously I set up the room so she can't roll off and keep a camera there so I can get her the minute she wakes up.

The problem is that I need my bed during the night....

Since we lowered her crib mattress, I'm only able to get her in there very occasionally

Highly reccomend a floor bed! We had an old thin mattress lying around and then someone gave away the IKEA kura bed practically new, and there's a well known hack to make it into a floor bed.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics