Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
I keep seeing these debt relief ads. Are they legit?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 3:08 pm
These ads keep popping up on my Instagram feed that you can do debt relief without filing bankruptcy or ruining your credit. We have about 40k in debt and I wish this was true! Are these ads legit?

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 3:10 pm
Maybe it’s a settlement? Where they take a fee

Kosher money has a great podcast that just came out on this topic of credit card debt

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 3:44 pm
Many of them are settlements. You pay them a fee, and they settle with the cc company that you should pay only a percentage of what you owe them. They take another small percentage. So instead of being 40k in debt, you’ll end up spending 12k (just throwing a number, they can give you likely scenarios, but won’t know until they actually settle with the cc company)

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 3:44 pm
amother Royalblue wrote:
Many of them are settlements. You pay them a fee, and they settle with the cc company that you should pay only a percentage of what you owe them. They take another small percentage. So instead of being 40k in debt, you’ll end up spending 12k (just throwing a number, they can give you likely scenarios, but won’t know until they actually settle with the cc company)

Pretty sure the percentage is higher. Like 50% of what is owed.

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 3:45 pm
amother Turquoise wrote:
Pretty sure the percentage is higher. Like 50% of what is owed.

I’ve been quoted different things by different groups. It does end up higher since you need to pay them another percentage

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 4:10 pm
They claim there's some debt relief program. I thought it's a government program. Also, does it effect your credit?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics