Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Smartphones at School Performances When School Doesn't Let
Previous  1  2

amother
Papayawhip

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 10:08 am
Also, maybe im getting technical.

But I see a big difference between the schools expecting the parents to respect the rules and borrow a camera vs being more relaxed and understanding towards the grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 10:09 am
amother Steelblue wrote:
Not sure if it’s the same one you are referring to but her dd told a friend the digital camera she brought in special to use conked out in middle….

Good DLKZ excuse. I don't care much about why the mother did what she did. We all know that many parents have and use smartphones, and as far as I'm concerned that's ok. It was the lack of intervention on the part of the school that bothered me. The principal literally said we are very makpid here about this...

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 10:12 am
amother Papayawhip wrote:
Also, maybe im getting technical.

But I see a big difference between the schools expecting the parents to respect the rules and borrow a camera vs being more relaxed and understanding towards the grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc.

You ARE getting technical. The school does not want smartphone usage. What's to stop every mother from handing her smartphone to her own mother/sister/neighbor? We got very good at finding loopholes in rules we don't like. I understand making exceptions to rules from time to time based on circumstances, but in general, especially in a public setting, either a rule is a rule OR don't have such a rule. What's the point in having a rule, announcing it, and then promptly ignoring those who disobey?

amother
Steelblue

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 10:21 am
amother OP wrote:
Good DLKZ excuse. I don't care much about why the mother did what she did. We all know that many parents have and use smartphones, and as far as I'm concerned that's ok. It was the lack of intervention on the part of the school that bothered me. The principal literally said we are very makpid here about this...

Take a deep breath and hold for five seconds then release slowly…. that’s good. Feel all the tension evaporate as you exhale….. good. Are you feeling calmer now?

amother
Papayawhip

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 10:22 am
amother OP wrote:
You ARE getting technical. The school does not want smartphone usage. What's to stop every mother from handing her smartphone to her own mother/sister/neighbor? We got very good at finding loopholes in rules we don't like. I understand making exceptions to rules from time to time based on circumstances, but in general, especially in a public setting, either a rule is a rule OR don't have such a rule. What's the point in having a rule, announcing it, and then promptly ignoring those who disobey?

Honestly, the same way schools insist that mothers cover their hair fully and fully cover the leg in school but don't make the same rules for grandparents, understanding that the parents are not the same as the grandparents. The grandparents may not be frum yet want to participate in the siddur party or high school graduation.
I see the Smartphone thing the same.
These schools that have such rules want a parent body that follows the rules, not necessarily grandparents and aunts

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 3:26 pm
amother Steelblue wrote:
Take a deep breath and hold for five seconds then release slowly…. that’s good. Feel all the tension evaporate as you exhale….. good. Are you feeling calmer now?

LOL Banging head Tongue Out Twisted Evil Help Time out

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 7:07 am
Maybe they don't have internet on it and just use for camera

amother
Yarrow

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 7:55 am
Because when my senior mother in law made the hour long trip to sit through two hours of boring speeches of kids she doesn’t know, she should not be policed like a child. She isn’t using her phone to flaunt anything. She wants a 7 second clip of her granddaughter walking up for her diploma. Walking around to guests and tapping them on the shoulder is a little overkill. Your school will not collapse if you turn a blind eye in situations like these. Schools have turned into aggressive power grabbers.

singleagain

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 7:57 am
What is the point of the no smartphone rule at a graduation? I mean, especially if you're saying to bring a regular camera instead? I could almost understand it if they said. Please don't take pictures. We're making an official school video and sending a copy to everyone. But they're not doing that. So what's the point of the rule?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics