Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Smartphones at School Performances When School Doesn't Let
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 2:45 pm
Plenty schools have no smartphone policies for their parent body. When there is a performance, they expect parents (and grandparents and aunts) to use cameras to record video or take pictures.

Some schools don't enforce their rules, so even though there may be a rule in the book, but if no one demands it, announces it, or otherwise checks up on the parents, it is (sadly) understood when parents don't abide and pull out a smartphone to snap pictures or videos. For all intents and purposes, smartphone usage is allowed regardless of the rule in the book.

However, if a school is serious about this rule, they usually notify the parents in advance of the performance. On the invitation will be a reminder to bring along a camera. The principal will announce at the outset of the performance that smartphones should not be taken out in the school building.

My question is - if this is your school (the latter situation) what happens if or when someone does take out a smartphone and begins recording in a blatant manner? Does a hanhalla member go over to the person and ask them to put it away? Does the rule actually get enforced? Are you happy about the way things are done?

giftedmom

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 2:47 pm
It hardly ever happens because that would be inviting trouble. They would follow up and hound you, threatening to expel your kids. No one is looking for that kind of attention.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 2:49 pm
giftedmom wrote:
It hardly ever happens because that would be inviting trouble. They would follow up and hound you, threatening to expel your kids. No one is looking for that kind of attention.

It can happen - an aunt, a cousin, grandmother, and sometimes even a daring parent.

giftedmom

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 2:51 pm
amother OP wrote:
It can happen - an aunt, a cousin, grandmother, and sometimes even a daring parent.

Yeah a family member can technically do it. I have on occasion taken one out when I was at a family members performance but I didn’t film. No one told me anything. Most people don’t. Parents never do.

amother
Kiwi

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 3:03 pm
At my son’s chumash mesibah they sent a note home asking for no smart phones in the building.
I would say at least 1/4 of the women had smart phones out including mothers. I was disappointed as I didn’t get good pictures of my son - I left my smartphone in the car - and the rule seemed to be ignored by many

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 6:11 pm
In my kids' school, I watched the principal walk over to someone (not even sure if it was a parent or other relative) and asked them to put it away. I was so impressed that the school actually enforces its rules and doesn't make itself into a mockery by saying one thing but ignoring disobedience. I can imagine it isn't a comfortable thing for the principal to do, but if you shy away from awkward situations, don't become a principal Smile

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 6:13 pm
amother Kiwi wrote:
At my son’s chumash mesibah they sent a note home asking for no smart phones in the building.
I would say at least 1/4 of the women had smart phones out including mothers. I was disappointed as I didn’t get good pictures of my son - I left my smartphone in the car - and the rule seemed to be ignored by many

I find that at cheder events, there is no woman that's "in charge" so the women are more likely to disregard rules.

amother
Chicory

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 6:21 pm
At my sister's graduation today the principal asked that there be no smartphones. I was impressed that no one pulled one out, considering half the parent body uses smartphones.
At my brother's Chumash mesiba today there wasn't even anything discussing this, no note or anything. I think because it's the type of school that the parent body or their relatives wouldn't dare to take their smartphones out of hiding. You can't really control relatives though.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 6:21 pm
amother OP wrote:
I find that at cheder events, there is no woman that's "in charge" so the women are more likely to disregard rules.

I see it in girls schools as well. I am actually one of those who disregard the rule. I don't own a camera, so my smartphone is my camera. I will most definitely take pics of my child.

The schools shouldn't be making rules that are challenging for many parents to keep.

ETA - my kids school allows smartphones with filters for parents. So owning a smartphone is not the concern. They just don't want it on school grounds.

amother
Freesia

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 6:25 pm
amother OP wrote:
In my kids' school, I watched the principal walk over to someone (not even sure if it was a parent or other relative) and asked them to put it away. I was so impressed that the school actually enforces its rules and doesn't make itself into a mockery by saying one thing but ignoring disobedience. I can imagine it isn't a comfortable thing for the principal to do, but if you shy away from awkward situations, don't become a principal Smile

I’ve seen similar in my kids school that has that rule

amother
Yarrow

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 6:25 pm
I’m not impressed at all.
The school announces their rule at the beginning of the event and that’s it. Hounding grandmas who may or may not be of the same hashkafa. It’s petty, childish and not professional. If they chose to ignore the rule it’s one them. Nothing will happen if she got her photo that she so desperately wants. It is power tripping to the next level.

amother
Freesia

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 6:26 pm
amother SandyBrown wrote:
I see it in girls schools as well. I am actually one of those who disregard the rule. I don't own a camera, so my smartphone is my camera. I will most definitely take pics of my child.

The schools shouldn't be making rules that are challenging for many parents to keep.

ETA - my kids school allows smartphones with filters for parents. So owning a smartphone is not the concern. They just don't want it on school grounds.

In My girls school they allow filtered smartphones and ask that school be a smart phone zone. It’s on the parents to buy a camera and/or video camera. They ask you don’t even take out a smartphone to answer a phone call but use a flip phone.

amother
Papayawhip

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 6:28 pm
My problem is when parents insist on taking pictures of their child with the teachers and principals using their smartphone.
It's one thing to use a smartphone during the performance, and it's another to pose your child with the principal who asked you no smartphones.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 6:34 pm
amother Freesia wrote:
In My girls school they allow filtered smartphones and ask that school be a smart phone zone. It’s on the parents to buy a camera and/or video camera. They ask you don’t even take out a smartphone to answer a phone call but use a flip phone.

Oh well, too bad. I'm not buying a camera/video camera that I barely will use. And I also share the photos immediately with Bobby and zeidy and other family members who are celebrating with us from afar.

I've had it with the schools overreach, so I don't give a hoot. Whether this one has substance or not, I truly don't care.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 6:35 pm
amother Papayawhip wrote:
My problem is when parents insist on taking pictures of their child with the teachers and principals using their smartphone.
It's one thing to use a smartphone during the performance, and it's another to pose your child with the principal who asked you no smartphones.

Agree - this I wouldn't do. I wouldn't stick it to their faces, just quietly take my own pics

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 5:56 am
amother Chicory wrote:
At my sister's graduation today the principal asked that there be no smartphones. I was impressed that no one pulled one out, considering half the parent body uses smartphones.
At my brother's Chumash mesiba today there wasn't even anything discussing this, no note or anything. I think because it's the type of school that the parent body or their relatives wouldn't dare to take their smartphones out of hiding. You can't really control relatives though.

I'm not sure we were at the same graduation yesterday, but that's what prompted this thread. A mother, of one of the valedictorians no less, recorded her dd's speech prominently on a smartphone. Nobody told her anything. The hypocrisy bothered me so much.
What do you think?

Notsobusy

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 6:04 am
amother Freesia wrote:

I don't understand this rule at all. If they allow filtered smartphones then why do they care if parents use them at performances and graduations?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 6:24 am
amother Yarrow wrote:
The school announces their rule at the beginning of the event and that’s it. Hounding grandmas who may or may not be of the same hashkafa. It’s petty, childish and not professional. If they chose to ignore the rule it’s one them. Nothing will happen if she got her photo that she so desperately wants. It is power tripping to the next level.

What's the point in announcing an unenforced rule?

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 6:55 am
amother Yarrow wrote:

It's rude not to respect the rules of the school.

amother
Steelblue

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 7:05 am
amother OP wrote:
I'm not sure we were at the same graduation yesterday, but that's what prompted this thread. A mother, of one of the valedictorians no less, recorded her dd's speech prominently on a smartphone. Nobody told her anything. The hypocrisy bothered me so much.
What do you think?

Not sure if it’s the same one you are referring to but her dd told a friend the digital camera she brought in special to use conked out in middle….
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics