Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Food in Israel
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Freesia

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 11:25 am
small bean wrote:
This thread was about the food not whether she should come or not. She's 17, she can make these decisions on her own.

At home, she takes care of her food mostly herself, it's a non-issue.

I just don't get how does milk taste different in different countries. Like what's different about the cows?

Different fodder for the cows I guess.
And yes, people turned it into another direction because it's neither pleasant nor socially acceptable to be 17 and be picky like a seven year old.
Maybe in your rule book it's acceptable but in a few years she may be in shidduchim or even going for Israeli seminar. Then what?

Elfrida

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 11:26 am
Different breeds of cow, and different living conditions.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 11:28 am
small bean wrote:
Thanks. She probably won't eat it, but I will buy it when we come next.

Sorry to say it but it's beyong me why you even try to accommodate her.

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 11:48 am
It's funny because I am British and always pining for their smoked salmon, salmon pate, certain snack bags, their bakeries, pasteries, cheese and yogurts. Clean produce, haddock fish. Alpine ice cream.

My mom is Israeli and craves the food here...

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 11:50 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Sorry to say it but it's beyong me why you even try to accommodate her.

Welcome to the American mentality. My in laws are from there and the stuff I see. And they're considered very sensible among their relatives and friends.

And you dare say that American kids are more spoiled!

amother
Snow

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 11:53 am
Elfrida wrote:
Different breeds of cow, and different living conditions.

I'm not a picky eater at all but several years ago I went to the country Georgia for a vacation and I absolutely couldn't handle the dairy there...The milk, the cheese everything...smelled and tasted like a barn.

For the record, I live in Israel but when I first moved here I didn't really feel a huge difference in the milk. I guess there are varying degrees of sensitivity.

nylon

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 1:37 pm
Standard Israeli milk is 3% fat, American is 3.5%. I'm told it's because Israeli farmers work so hard to maximize milk production. Dairy flavor does vary depending on both the diet and for anything other than straight milk, processing and culturing techniques.

Bread is hard because there's so many styles of bread in both countries.

Reality

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 1:46 pm
nylon wrote:
Standard Israeli milk is 3% fat, American is 3.5%. I'm told it's because Israeli farmers work so hard to maximize milk production. Dairy flavor does vary depending on both the diet and for anything other than straight milk, processing and culturing techniques.

Bread is hard because there's so many styles of bread in both countries.

Now I understand. When I lived in the US I always bought 2% milk. Most Americans only buy whole milk for little kids.

amother
DarkCyan

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 2:03 pm
Sometimes food taste sensitivities are actually based on allergies or on something that the body is having a difficult time with. I know someone who disliked tomatoes - to an extreme, I thought. At one point, people were pushing her to just "grow up and get used to it". Lo and behold, she is allergic to most nightshade veggies and her body actually breaks into a rash after eating them.

small bean

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 2:18 pm
Actually breeds make sense because my daughter can tell you which goat different milks are from. Interestingly she likes goat milk and American cow milk, the blue one.

I never said I accommodate her or that I think it's okay. She is 17, she can make her own food and she does. It's not an issue in my house, by friends or camp. It was an issue last time we were in Israel.

And lastly, I agree Americans are spoiled. I am not opposed to being spoiled as long as you're grateful for it.

Reality

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 2:26 pm
small bean wrote:
Actually breeds make sense because my daughter can tell you which goat different milks are from. Interestingly she likes goat milk and American cow milk, the blue one.

I never said I accommodate her or that I think it's okay. She is 17, she can make her own food and she does. It's not an issue in my house, by friends or camp. It was an issue last time we were in Israel.

And lastly, I agree Americans are spoiled. I am not opposed to being spoiled as long as you're grateful for it.

If she likes goat milk that is actually much easier to find in Israel. It's sold in every grocery store.

And the American blue milk is much more watery then your typical Israeli cow milk.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 2:32 pm
Brought one of my picky there and didn't see

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 10:19 pm
I read an article about super tasters.

Almost everybody can taste the difference in an Oreo from a just opened package, and a (stale) Oreo that's been sitting out for a day. But I've never opened a fresh pack of Oreos and been like "oh, these are fresher than usual" and I've never opened a fresh pack of Oreos and been like "even though I just opened this pack and they are not stale, they taste a bit less fresh than the pack I had last week." Apparently super-tasters can differentiate that. But not all super tasters are picky eaters. And not all picky eaters are super tasters.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions