Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Are you obese and not trying...
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP  

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 2:40 pm
To lose weight, not now and not in your future?

I ask this as an obese woman. Sometimes I wonder if I'd be happier if I just stopped trying. Its not like it's working long term either way. I worry about my health which is why I seem to always come back to trying to change my lifestyle, lose weight bla bla.

I'd love to hear from women who just accept their size (specifically as an obese woman) and how you got to such a place. Are you happier? What do you say to your doctors? Any advice?

The self loathing can't be any better for me than the weight itself.

amother
Thistle

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 2:46 pm
That’s what I’m trying to do now. I’m 5 feet and weight like 170. I’m very anguished about it but it’s taking so much emotional from me and I’d rather use that energy for my children and husband. I just want to stop thinking or worrying about food or my body.

thesoundofmusic  

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 2:48 pm
I am not obbese but I have what to loose.
I try to focus on healthy eating more than weight persay.

AlwaysHoping

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 2:48 pm
amother OP wrote:
To lose weight, not now and not in your future?

I ask this as an obese woman. Sometimes I wonder if I'd be happier if I just stopped trying. Its not like it's working long term either way. I worry about my health which is why I seem to always come back to trying to change my lifestyle, lose weight bla bla.

I'd love to hear from women who just accept their size (specifically as an obese woman) and how you got to such a place. Are you happier? What do you say to your doctors? Any advice?

The self loathing can't be any better for me than the weight itself.

I am in my mid 30s and recently was with a bunch of ladies a good 35-40 years older than me. All they would talk about is their weight loss attempts, different diets etc.

And I was thinking- does this ever end?? Is this still going to be my life in 4 decades??
Such a depressing thought

thesoundofmusic

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 2:49 pm
I once heard carol gautchi say that a person can be overweight from eating too much pumpkin and thin from coke.
try to eat healthy and dring alot of water and walk.
you will feel so good about yourself independent of your acutal weight

amother
Ballota

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 2:50 pm
I don’t care or try. I just do my best to live as healthy as I can and past that I just live. I don’t think it’s healthy to be busy with it all day.

amother
Pearl  

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 2:52 pm
I stopped trying, and then I guess I stopped stopping to try, but I absolutely did the right thing stopping to try. My physical and mental health improved tremendously when I simply boycotted caring about my weight and decided to radically accept my body as it was.

Right now, I'm trying to improve my fitness through exercise and proper nutrition, but I am being very mindful not to do it with a weight loss mindset. Though I must admit I do hope I will lose weight in the process, as I am currently still medically obese, I am not focusing on that aspect because I know that if I do, it will lead to an unhealthy pattern of behaviors that lead me to being worse off than before. And if I stay the same size and weight but get physically stronger and healthier, that's enough of a reward, I think.

amother
Jean

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 2:57 pm
Throw out your scale and focus on eating a healthy breakfast, lunch and supper every day. Focus on finding ways to cut down on sugar from your Shabbes meal for good. Focus on shopping for more wholesome snacks. And then stop thinking about it.

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 2:59 pm
There are definitely times where I'm not trying in the sense that it's very much on the back burner because there are just other things that are more pressing and I am making the intentional decision to drop the fitness/weight loss ball. Even when I do try, I am only willing to try to a certain extent. I refuse to make my life revolve around tracking food, steps, etc.

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 3:10 pm
thesoundofmusic wrote:
I am not obbese but I have what to loose.
I try to focus on healthy eating more than weight persay.

For all practical purposes it's the same to me. I'm referring to thinking about it at all. Its being on, careful, trying, my success rate is pathetic and I just hate myself more for not being able to get a handle on my health. Its not like I never lost weight. I have but I have never kept it off so in the long run it hasn't helped me at all. I'm just done with this being such a big part of my life. I want to just eat lunch, whatever it is and move on. And if I grab a bag of pretzels in the afternoon or have some ice cream after supper it just is what it is. I've been shoulding on myself for decades and nothing long term to show for it.
I'm not sure if I should give up and be happier or if theres no such thing and this is my chronic disease.

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 3:13 pm
Yes!
5'6", 217lbs. Not dieting, no gym, I do walk during the day and take public transportation, so hoping it counts for something.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 3:18 pm
I’m just like op 5 ft 170lbs
I’ve lost the same 50lbs over 10 times already.
I’m tired of doing this
I just want to eat like a normal person, like I see everyone around me do.
But when I eat like a normal person, about 1800 calories, I balloon up to 170lbs.

In order for me to lose and maintain my weight I need to eat about 1000 calories.

The problem is I need double knee replacement
I can barely walk at the size I am now
I know when I do the operation that it will be easier for me to do the pt required if I am at a normal weight.
I’m just fed up and want to eat

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 3:21 pm
I am currently 5 ft and weigh 200 lbs.

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 3:21 pm
amother Snowdrop wrote:
I’m just like op 5 ft 170lbs
I’ve lost the same 50lbs over 10 times already.
I’m tired of doing this
I just want to eat like a normal person, like I see everyone around me do.
But when I eat like a normal person, about 1800 calories, I balloon up to 170lbs.

In order for me to lose and maintain my weight I need to eat about 1000 calories.

The problem is I need double knee replacement
I can barely walk at the size I am now
I know when I do the operation that it will be easier for me to do the pt required if I am at a normal weight.
I’m just fed up and want to eat

Yup. Because our metabolism is so messed up from years of dieting.

imaima  

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 3:29 pm
amother OP wrote:
For all practical purposes it's the same to me. I'm referring to thinking about it at all. Its being on, careful, trying, my success rate is pathetic and I just hate myself more for not being able to get a handle on my health. Its not like I never lost weight. I have but I have never kept it off so in the long run it hasn't helped me at all. I'm just done with this being such a big part of my life. I want to just eat lunch, whatever it is and move on. And if I grab a bag of pretzels in the afternoon or have some ice cream after supper it just is what it is. I've been shoulding on myself for decades and nothing long term to show for it.
I'm not sure if I should give up and be happier or if theres no such thing and this is my chronic disease.

I have stopped caring and gained even more.
You should be honest with yourself if you will be okay with that

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 3:53 pm
imaima wrote:
I have stopped caring and gained even more.
You should be honest with yourself if you will be okay with that

That's why I'm asking, is there an option for stopping and having a better quality of life?

amother
Coral  

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 4:05 pm
I was a yoyo for many years. Then I spent a few years eating anything I wanted, completely giving up the struggle. But it had to stop. Everything that's wrong with me healthwise is either caused by or aggravated by excess weight. I'm tired of taking meds for hypertension and cholesterol, want to ease up on my arthritic joints, don't want to become diabetic, am terrified of developing dementia, etc. etc., and so a while back I decided this is it, time to eat like a normal person for the rest of my life. It's going very slowly, taking me two months to shed what five or ten years ago vanished in four weeks, but I shall persevere. To my annoyance I've not yet seen much of a reduction in my waist, which is the measurement that means the most from a health standpoint as well as from a clothes-fitting one, but I figure sooner or later it will surely get moving.

One thing I'm trying to avoid is perfectionism and beating myself up if I "cheat" a little, realizing that it's what I do in the long run, not in any one day, that counts. And rather than gripe that this week I was "so good and only lost half a pound" or even nothing at all, I have to concentrate on how far I've come since Square One. There are many reasons why the scale may not budge in any given week, and that can't be interpreted as a signal to give up.

I, too, have probably messed up my metabolism from yoyo dieting over years and years, plus metabolism slows with age. And I finally admitted to myself that even though I'm way bigger than the other women in my family, bigger hands, bigger feet, thicker wrists--I really have a small frame, not a large one. It's just that they are all so exceptionally tiny I look like an Amazon in comparison. But it's not like I'm 75th percentile to their 15th, it's like I'm 5th percentile to their 3rd.

I think I'll be happy if I can just get off the meds.

amother
Pansy

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 4:18 pm
I'm 5'3 and 245 pounds. I try to focus on adding healthy food and joyful movement to my life, but I don't diet or count calories or cut sugar.

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 4:26 pm
amother Jean wrote:
Throw out your scale and focus on eating a healthy breakfast, lunch and supper every day. Focus on finding ways to cut down on sugar from your Shabbes meal for good. Focus on shopping for more wholesome snacks. And then stop thinking about it.

This!!!
No need to weigh yourself 😂
It’s really lots of changes to your lifestyle
Healthy habits

zaq

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 4:35 pm
amother OP wrote:
That's why I'm asking, is there an option for stopping and having a better quality of life?

Define quality of life. You can, I suppose, make peace with your weight, stop worrying about it, and enjoy mental serenity of a sort, but you can't fool your heart, lungs, kidneys, liver, joints, arteries etc. They contribute in a big way to the quality--and length--of your life, and your body will eventually take revenge in many different ways for the abuse it's enduring.

You don't need to have your whole life revolve around your weight, no. Start off slowly, making just one small change at a time. If you drink juice or soda five times a day, try switching to water two of those times. Or get off the bus one stop early on the way to work. Then after a week or three, make another small change, like switching to whole-wheat pretzels instead of white-flour ones, or preparing cucumber spears to keep in the fridge to munch on instead of pretzels. Little changes make a big difference over time. If it takes you a year, or five years, to get to the point you want to be at, so what? At least you get there. And reliable experts say that losing as little as 5%-10% of your weight--that's just 10-20 lbs. if you weigh 200 lbs.--provides significant health improvement. Not that there's anything "just" about losing 10-20 lbs, it's an effort any way you look at it, but the point is you don't have to get back to your high-school weight to reap significant health benefits.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise