Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Swim diapers - cloth?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 2:23 am
I saw in Target reusable swim diapers. Do they work? This is the first time I'll be having regular pool access with a baby and I really don't love the idea of spending $200 on disposable garbage swim diapers. Please tell me what's the story with the reusable ones.

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 3:18 am
Reusable ones can be better than disposable as long as they fit well and have a good seal. No swim diapers are perfect. I request students to wear a double diaper because have had so many leaks.
Also keep in mind swim diapers don’t hold liquids, they only hold solids. (If your kid has a very liquidy bm it will come right through).

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 3:21 am
notshanarishona wrote:
Reusable ones can be better than disposable as long as they fit well and have a good seal. No swim diapers are perfect. I request students to wear a double diaper because have had so many leaks.
Also keep in mind swim diapers don’t hold liquids, they only hold solids. (If your kid has a very liquidy bm it will come right through).

Any tips on how to shop for a swim diaper with a good seal? And how to know what will fit? Baby is long and lean (not skinny, just has more length and less fluff). He weighs 21lb but has wearing size 4 diapers for a while which are ranked for 22lb and up because he was too big for size 3 even though theoretically within the range.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 3:21 am
What does that mean they don't hold liquid? We just assume all the pools are full of pee?!

amother
Whitewash

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 3:23 am
notshanarishona wrote:

They don’t hold liquids? So the pee goes through to the pool?

amother
Lightcoral

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 5:05 am
Yes, pee will go straight into the pool. That’s why kiddie pools need to be dumped nightly and big pools have chlorine.

Reusable swim diapers definitely do the job, but if your kid does poop in it then you gotta wash it instead of just tossing it- we use them at home but I don’t send them to daycare/camp because the counselors shouldn’t have to deal with that.

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 9:03 am
amother OP wrote:
What does that mean they don't hold liquid? We just assume all the pools are full of pee?!

Yes, I have seen kids standing up with swim diapers to pee and watched it come straight out. I require kids who are under 3 to wear swim diapers to be safe even if they are toilet trained.

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 9:04 am
amother OP wrote:
Any tips on how to shop for a swim diaper with a good seal? And how to know what will fit? Baby is long and lean (not skinny, just has more length and less fluff). He weighs 21lb but has wearing size 4 diapers for a while which are ranked for 22lb and up because he was too big for size 3 even though theoretically within the range.

It all depends on the brand but look based on weight and you want a snug fit.

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 9:05 am
amother Whitewash wrote:
They don’t hold liquids? So the pee goes through to the pool?

Yep, why we fill our pools with chlorine and based on the bather load will have chemicals on the higher end of normal. And also why you should shower after leaving a pool.

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 10:02 am
amother OP wrote:

We all experience a moment of horror when we find out how swim diapers work. It’s fun to see yours happening, ngl!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics