Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Front loader vs top loader machine

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 21 2024, 9:15 am
I've had 2 front loader washing machines break down in the last 14 years. Both were good expensive machines. I'm debating wether to get a top loader now & wondering if it lasts longer than 5-7 years. My current machine is less than 5 years old and needs expensive repairs. It's crazy.
Will a top loader last longer? TIA

amother
Smokey

Post Fri, Jun 21 2024, 9:20 am
I have my LG front loader for 12 years ba"h, have never had a repair needed. Maybe there's a certain way you're using it that's making it break? Has the repairman suggested any ideas of what could have caused the issues? I don't think 5-7 years is a normal time frame for such an appliance to break

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 21 2024, 9:25 am
amother Smokey wrote:
I have my LG front loader for 12 years ba"h, have never had a repair needed. Maybe there's a certain way you're using it that's making it break? Has the repairman suggested any ideas of what could have caused the issues? I don't think 5-7 years is a normal time frame for such an appliance to break

I currently have an LG machine. I'm using it correctly. The repairman said that the water draining pump needs to be replaced & that it's a common issue with front loaders. I have a warranty on the machine, but this specific part isn't covered. It's an expensive repair & I'm thinking that maybe it pays to rather get new machine.

amother
Chocolate

Post Fri, Jun 21 2024, 9:42 am
My LG top loader lasted about 10 years.

amother
Smokey

Post Fri, Jun 21 2024, 9:46 am
Interesting. Just from googling, it seems like the drain punps in machines nowadays are made from pretty low quality material.
Doesn't seem like a top loader would have any benefit over that

some of the reasons why the drain pump can wear down
1) overloading the machine, making it work harder than it should be
2) hard water
3) and of course, just wear and tear over time

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 21 2024, 9:52 am
amother Smokey wrote:
Interesting. Just from googling, it seems like the drain punps in machines nowadays are made from pretty low quality material.
Doesn't seem like a top loader would have any benefit over that

some of the reasons why the drain pump can wear down
1) overloading the machine, making it work harder than it should be
2) hard water
3) and of course, just wear and tear over time

I'm very careful with not overloading the machine. Our water is filtered. Perhaps it's just wear & tear but it's only afew years. So frustrating.
I wonder if the warranty covers just parts that the company knows don't usually break....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry