Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
S/O Vegan Restaurants ok?
Previous  1  2  3  4

Cheiny  

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 2:58 pm
tulip3 wrote:
Of course they do and they ship all their food or bring a lot with them. Or they buy things with an o u in a store on vacation. How many average yeshivish in towners know about salmon and cut fruit? From my interactions and life, most don't know. And no, it's not

I just proved you wrong in my previous post re raw salmon in Aldi, for instance.

You’re right that you’ve drawn these baseless, false conclusions FROM YOUR INTERACTIONs, which are far from conclusive or evidence of anything. You see and believe what you choose to. But you’re quite wrong,

Cheiny

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 2:59 pm
tulip3 wrote:
I disagree. It's subtle and I think most ppl don't even realize why and what they are feeling.

Smile
Thankfully you do know what others are in fact feeling.

amother
  Cadetblue

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 3:04 pm
tulip3 wrote:
Haha! To think no one's jealous? It's cute how you think ppl are so holy and mamish care that much when someone sins.
Nope, I do what I want and I want to keep kosher fully so no jealousy here. If I didn't want to, I would stop.

If Im being honest here you sound jealous that you are not as passionate as others about all of klal yisroel keeping halacha...

tulip3

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 3:04 pm
Cheiny wrote:
You’re very presumptuous in that you think you know what others know and don’t know, what they’re educated on, what they believe is allowed and not allowed. You have very narrow minded views on this. It happens to be that tons of very frum people buy salmon from Aldi, for instance, with no hashgacha necessary.

So there goes your theory…

Well, when a food blogger from lakewood posted about buying salmon in aldi in her food haul, the amount of questions and comments on that were insane. Proof that theres lots of uneducated people.

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 4:10 pm
tulip3 wrote:
Well, when a food blogger from lakewood posted about buying salmon in aldi in her food haul, the amount of questions and comments on that were insane. Proof that theres lots of uneducated people.

Its actually proof that there are lots of EDUCATED women. If you would know how complicated it is you would understand why some people allow and some don't.
There's alot more to it than just scaled skin on pink fleshed fish.

amother
  Scarlet

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 4:18 pm
tulip3 wrote:
There's very little education on what's actually allowed. Ppl in tri state area just go to gourmet glatt and get everything in a kosher store not knowing that a side of salmon with skin on can be bought anywhere and cut up fruit from a big non kosher store can be eaten. There's so much out there if you educate yourself and that includes vegan restaurants. I remember reading about rice from the rice cooker could be ok bec just rice is made in it but don't quote me, I have to research more. It's so easy to assur things then know intricacies and how to do things according to halacha.

When I lived in the tristate area, not long ago, anyone who I spoke to about it was aware that there are options of buying cut fruit or salmon outside of a kosher store. If they didn't know 5 years ago, then they found out as prices have been increased so drastically.
Some chose to do so and some did not, but it would surprise me to find many in my community who didn't know.

amother
Lightblue  

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 7:56 pm
Hold up you can buy cut up fruit in big non Jewish stores??
So Trader Joe’s Walmart Aldi target etcetera you can buy their cut up fruit?
I also always see people buying cut up spring mixes in Trader Joe’s is that allowed?
One thing I know isn’t allowed is using a full head of cauliflower, romaine, cabbage, etcetera as is. I see people using them whole or cut in chunks and there’s no way to clean them like that

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 8:07 pm
I was the DIL who started the thread about being angry that MIL was eating at this type of restaurant.
To the person who said that it comes from jealousy, you are way off.
I agree if there is a jew who is keeping Mitzvos is without believing in the truth of it then yes she may be jealous but I think this mostly comes from being sad to watch people so flippantly transgress g-d.

Thank you to the person who clarified that as a true Jew who is happy to keep the Torah to the best of my knowledge I don’t have any desire to eat questionable foods and compromise Halacha in any way and therefore I am not jealous of something that I don’t want.

amother
  PlumPink  

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 8:18 pm
amother Lightblue wrote:
Hold up you can buy cut up fruit in big non Jewish stores??
So Trader Joe’s Walmart Aldi target etcetera you can buy their cut up fruit?
I also always see people buying cut up spring mixes in Trader Joe’s is that allowed?
One thing I know isn’t allowed is using a full head of cauliflower, romaine, cabbage, etcetera as is. I see people using them whole or cut in chunks and there’s no way to clean them like that

Ask your rav. Depends on so much like are they only cutting fruit or do they have a whole kitchen where they prepare treif and use the knife too…

amother
  PlumPink

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 8:19 pm
tulip3 wrote:

So you once saw a food blogger get questions you didn’t understand and that helped you come to your insane conclusions? You need to get out more.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 8:21 pm
I’ve learned from imamother that some people believe that being nonjudgemental and accepting of others is mitzva #1 in the torah.

While we have a mitzva to be dan l’kaf zchus, it is far from the only mitzva. And DLKZ does not mean accepting behaviors that are unacceptable. I am not passing judgement on the person, but I can definitely pass judgment on the action. Vegan restaurants without hechsherim are not kosher.

This is not black and white thinking. It is torah thinking. We don’t have to be so open-minded that our brains fall out.

simcha12plus

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 8:25 pm
thriver wrote:
Not okay. Bishul akum. Bugs in salad.
People eat there because they don’t know better.

or don’t want to know better.
my husband had a direct conversation with the rabbi of IKC which gives a hechsher to many vegan restaurants.
he is “orthodox”.

he has twisted MANY kashrus rules.

“no one wants to eat bugs, so the workers would never put greens or berries with bugs in anything so they don’t need to check”

he had a long explanation of why his cooking/baking doesn’t require bishul/pas yisrael

he also has ideas about why dyes are ok, even though many hechsheirim wouldn’t allow them.

he has a lot of knowledge. he learns a lot of Torah. and he also has a lot of ideas.

anyone with yiras shamayim, should NOT eat in establishments with this hechsher- and they are all over the east coast.

no mashgiach anywhere either…

(and I am using my screen name, bec this is a VERY serious matter. not all the food is kosher)

amother
  Lightblue

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 8:35 pm
amother PlumPink wrote:
Ask your rav. Depends on so much like are they only cutting fruit or do they have a whole kitchen where they prepare treif and use the knife too…

Is seems like this is common knowledge to some so I would appreciate an answer/explanation other than ask your lor…thanks! My lor won’t know what happens in aldis or tjs kitchen and will tell me to find out elsewhere! I live in Tom’s river and if anyone knows anything about the local stores please share

galbis

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 8:43 pm
Let's Talk Kashrus has an episode discussing this:
https://youtu.be/vosGZEg5koA?s.....8V6lu

Hashem_Yaazor  

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 8:51 pm
tulip3 wrote:
I remember reading about rice from the rice cooker could be ok bec just rice is made in it but don't quote me, I have to research more. It's so easy to assur things then know intricacies and how to do things according to halacha.

Bishul akum is assur

mommyisbest

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 8:53 pm
amother Lightblue wrote:
Is seems like this is common knowledge to some so I would appreciate an answer/explanation other than ask your lor…thanks! My lor won’t know what happens in aldis or tjs kitchen and will tell me to find out elsewhere! I live in Tom’s river and if anyone knows anything about the local stores please share

Stop and shops bakery is kosher under the kvh! Not the fruit tho

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 8:55 pm
galbis wrote:
Let's Talk Kashrus has an episode discussing this:
https://youtu.be/vosGZEg5koA?s.....8V6lu

That's the rav that reinforces all my kashrus knowledge on a regular basis. I didn't know he had a video...Thanks for sharing!

Comptroller

Post Fri, Jun 21 2024, 2:53 am
amother PlumPink wrote:
You think all outrage is jealousy? That’s a very juvenile point of view. Outrage is usually because of passion. We are passionate about being frum and not seeing our Torah treated disrespectfully. I assume you don’t feel passionate about topics if you can’t fathom this concept.

I think outraged reactions about other people who may not keep the torah to your liking are not a good expression of your passion for the torah. That's exactly my point.

You can show love for torah without being holier than thou.

If a whole society is laced with those kinds of holier than thou reactions, it becomes toxic, in my view, and does not do a good job in representing torah in the sense of "deracheya darkey noam".

If so many users here have those kinds of outraged reactions or defend those kinds of outraged reactions, in my view, it does not bode well for the society they live in.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics