Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Salads & Dips
Sephardi Spicy Cabbage With Tomatoes and Peppers

Amarante

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 11:48 am
My background isn't Sephardic so I don't know if this is "authentic". I do like cooked cabbage and I thought this was an good preparation of it.

Sephardi Spicy Cabbage With Tomatoes and Peppers

Excerpt From: Marlena Spieler. “Kosher and Traditional Jewish Cooking: Authentic Recipes From a Classic Culinary Heritage: 130 Delicious Dishes Shown in 220 Stunning Photographs

This dish of humble cabbage is far more exciting than you could imagine and not one to pass by. The leaves become silky, from being thinly sliced and par-boiled, and spicy and complex when cooked with Yemenite-inspired spicing.

SERVES 4–6

1 green or white cabbage, thinly sliced
30–60ml/2–4 tbsp olive oil
2 onions, chopped
5–8 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 green (bell) pepper, chopped - I used red as I don’t like green peppers
2.5ml/1/2 tsp curry powder
2.5ml/1/2 tsp ground cumin
2.5ml/1/2 tsp ground turmeric
seeds from 3–5 cardamom pods
1 mild fresh chilli, chopped
400g/14oz can tomatoes
pinch of sugar
juice of 1/2–1 lemon
45–60ml/3–4 tbsp chopped fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves

1 Cook the cabbage in a large pan of boiling water for 5–8 minutes, or until tender. Drain the cabbage well and set aside.

2 Meanwhile, heat the oil in a frying pan, add the chopped onion and fry until softened, then add half the garlic and the green pepper and cook for 3–4 minutes, or until the pepper softens but the garlic does not turn brown.

3 Sprinkle all the spices into the pan, stir and cook for 1–2 minutes to bring out their flavour. Add the cabbage, the tomatoes and sugar, cover and cook over a low heat for 15–30 minutes until the sauce is thick.

4 Add the lemon juice and remaining garlic and cook for about 10 minutes. Stir in the chopped coriander and serve immediately.

Nutritional information per portion: Energy 81kcal/338kJ; Protein 1.9g; Carbohydrate 9.6g, of which sugars 8.3g; Fat 4.1g, of which saturates 0.6g; Cholesterol 0mg; Calcium 43mg; Fibre 2.7g; Sodium 12mg.

zaq

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 1:19 pm
Thank you, Amarante! I'm trying to include more veggies in our diet and this sounds like a fine alternative to coleslaw. I may have to wait till next week to try it, though, as we are in the midst of heat wave and I'm avoiding cooking as much as possible.

Amarante

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 1:30 pm
zaq wrote:
Thank you, Amarante! I'm trying to include more veggies in our diet and this sounds like a fine alternative to coleslaw. I may have to wait till next week to try it, though, as we are in the midst of heat wave and I'm avoiding cooking as much as possible.

This is one of my absolute favorite recipes. I have been making it for years and like to have it available in the refrigerator as it is the perfect way to enjoy vegetables in hot weather

I sometimes double the recipe

Mom's Gazpacho
Source: Epicurious

· My recipe serves eight, and it's not worth the trouble to prepare this soup for one. But like homemade tomato sauce, its flavor improves with age—you can store it in the refrigerator and eat it for about a week.

· Why mash the garlic with egg and salt? To make a garlic-infused paste that adds body and substance to the tomato broth.

· Use kosher salt to bring out the flavors of the vegetables.

· Try to chop the vegetables so that they're small but not minced or pulverized, and don't worry if the sizes aren't uniform. The pieces should be small enough to chew but big enough to recognize.

· If you prefer a more elegant presentation, emulsify the chilled mixture before serving. Seasoning is a very personal matter. I tend to like my gazpacho pungent and sharp, with salt, lemon, and onion flavors lingering on the palate. If you prefer milder soup, reduce the onion, garlic, and vinegar quantities by half. If you want a spicier soup, add 2 teaspoons of minced jalepeño peppers. To make vegetarian gazpacho, substitute vegetable broth for beef broth.

Yield Makes 8 servings

Ingredients

1 egg
2 cups chopped fresh plum tomatoes
1/2 cup chopped green or yellow pepper - I used red or yellow
1 cup chopped cucumber, seeds removed
1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
2/3 cup olive oil - can use a bit less
Juice of 1/2 lemon
2 cups beef broth (optional) - can sub veggie broth to make pareve - beef broth gives is a heartier taste
1/4 cup red wine vinegar - I use balsamic or sherry vinegar
1/4 cup finely minced parsley
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 tablespoons Worcestershire
Pepper, coarsely ground
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
Salt
1 46-ounce can tomato juice
1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
Tabasco, to taste
Garnish (optional): chopped parsley, minced red onion, chopped olives

Preparation

Place egg in small pot of cold water, bring to boil, and let simmer for 10 minutes - I don't cook for this long as I prefer it soft boiled but not super runny

In a pot or large bowl, combine tomatoes, pepper, cucumber, red onion, olive oil, lemon juice, cold beef broth (optional), red wine vinegar, parsley, oregano, Worcestershire, and coarsely ground black pepper to taste. Stir.

Sprinkle garlic with a pinch of salt, and set in bowl.

When egg is finished cooking, run under cold water, remove shell, add to garlic and salt mixture, and mash together with fork.

Pour tomato juice into large pot or bowl with vegetables, and add garlic, egg, and salt mixture. Add bread crumbs and stir so that they dissolve into liquid.

Taste for seasoning and add salt, pepper, and Tabasco to taste. Chill for at least 4 hours and serve.

Garnish with chopped parsley, minced red onion, and chopped olives if desired.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics