Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Starting a gemach-ideas please

amother
OP  

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 7:16 am
I was advised by a Rav to start a gemach in the zechus of something challenging going on in our lives.
I would have $1000 to put toward it. I live in Monsey.
Can anyone suggest anything that they believe would be a benefit? I would like to be able to purchase items and lend them out.
If you have any suggestions, I would appreciate it.
Thank you.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 7:26 am
Baby head phones
Minifridge
Billirubin equipment
Moving boxes
Coat rack
Mezuzos

amother
Steelblue  

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 7:34 am
Wishing you much hatzlacha!
Before you invest money and time into a specific area , may I suggest you check out the gemachim already in monsey so you don’t duplicate and that way you can meet a real need. The local papers - Monsey mevaser, the view, the community connections Gemach listings in the back are good places to start. Hatzlacha

amother
Birch

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 7:42 am
Bris equipment - pillow, creams and gauze pads

amother
Khaki  

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 8:04 am
Power tools, doona gemach (for more than 6 weeks at time) baby stretchies

amother
  OP

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 8:10 am
amother Steelblue wrote:
Wishing you much hatzlacha!
Before you invest money and time into a specific area , may I suggest you check out the gemachim already in monsey so you don’t duplicate and that way you can meet a real need. The local papers - Monsey mevaser, the view, the community connections Gemach listings in the back are good places to start. Hatzlacha

Thank you I did that. That’s a good idea.
I’m leading toward the baby headphones. I only see one other baby headphones gemach listed. Apparently there is a real need for that.

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 8:11 am
Power tools is a good idea if there isn’t any! I never thought of it! it would open up a lot of people to do small projects on their own.

amother
  Khaki  

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 8:13 am
amother Natural wrote:
Power tools is a good idea if there isn’t any! I never thought of it! it would open up a lot of people to do small projects on their own.

We are moving and my dh keeps saying he hopes ppl in community have certain tools that we can't afford but will need once in a while. I would love to open gemach for that one day

amother
Hyacinth  

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 8:15 am
I think a power tool is a cool idea.
If you’re spending $1000, do research which one is in that range and useful.
Good luck! Hatzlacha with whatever’s going on, wishing you Brachos ❤️

amother
  Hyacinth

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 8:15 am
amother Khaki wrote:
We are moving and my dh keeps saying he hopes ppl in community have certain tools that we can't afford but will need once in a while. I would love to open gemach for that one day

Which tool? Can you ask him?

amother
  Khaki

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 8:18 am
at the top of my head I know we needed to call plumbers (at least $100 to come down) just to snake drains bc kids throw stuff there.
Would love to own a snake..
we have a cordless drill we lend out a lot..
we would want a table saw to do small projects like shelving..
we would want a lawn mower to borrow and snow blower...
I'll ask him later for more specifics

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 9:13 am
This is my idea- I have never seen it done but not sure why:

Tzitzit, yarmulka and white shirt gemach. Contact your local Jewish boys schools and ask if you can donate a box with the above items in various sizes. If a boy forgets or loses any of the items one day (white shirts for Rosh chodesh), he can borrow from the gemach and return, washed, within a week or whatever. Make sure to label everything and have a sign out sheet. Go in person once every few months to check on it and replenish or make calls for returns.

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 9:30 am
Folding chairs/table
Vases/centerpieces for simchos
baby gear
Bentchers
Air/folding mattresses
Air pump
Moving containers/boxes

amother
Snowdrop

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 10:39 am
Benchers
Machzorim
White shoes/sneakers for kallah
Kallah headpieces
Silk Flowers
Crockpots for simchas
Candy for shalom zachor
Jewish videos

Maybe you can go through some gemach lists and see if you have them in your neighborhood-

https://thesimchacenter.com/ci.....achs/

GLUE

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 11:09 am
amother Blush wrote:
This is my idea- I have never seen it done but not sure why:

Tzitzit, yarmulka and white shirt gemach. Contact your local Jewish boys schools and ask if you can donate a box with the above items in various sizes. If a boy forgets or loses any of the items one day (white shirts for Rosh chodesh), he can borrow from the gemach and return, washed, within a week or whatever. Make sure to label everything and have a sign out sheet. Go in person once every few months to check on it and replenish or make calls for returns.

My little guy school has such a Gemach it's called the lost and found box
The school does not want any of the yarmulka, Tzitzit, white shirts, winter coats, scooters ect.. that they give out back, they have to much of them.

amother
  Steelblue

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 11:10 am
amother Natural wrote:

There was definitely a power tool Gemach in monsey for a long time and still in existence as of a few years ago, maybe check if it’s still around .

amother
Leaf

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 11:15 am
I run a table and chairs gemach in Monsey. You have to see how busy you would like to be with it. For example, I am not really busy with it. People just really text me and I just reserve for them and they come and pick it up and return it. However, if you have, let's say at tablecloths or centerpiece gemach then you really need to be busy with that. People want to come and see. I am the only one that has round tables so those are always reserved pretty fast. Headphone gemach is a good idea I happen to have blocked bought when my kids were born as I think it's important but people ask all the time.

Another thing I have lent out a lot is a knee scooter.
Blow up beds are always asked for. Siddurim.

amother
Skyblue

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 11:25 am
I have a Tens machine Gemach for labour and back pain.

Often it's in high demand, I have 5 machines and not the only Gemach (but was the first) in my neighborhood.
The other is an old neighbour who took it from me for their 5th birth and was amazed by it and wanted to make sure there was enough for the neighborhood.

It's low maintenance and I love wishing the users B'shaa Tova and Mazal Tovs.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics