Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Ideas for making RHS/YK meaningful for kids

amother
OP

Post Yesterday at 11:04 pm
I have been home for RHS/YK with my kids for many years, B"H. Some years, making it meaningful to the kids is the furthest thing from my mind. (Singing "Dip the Apple" is the most that some little kids can get, and when I'm pregnant/postpartum, I need most of my strength just to focus on getting through the day.)

But now I have several not-so-little kids home with me (say, ages 10 down to toddler), and I'd like to make the days meaningful to them. On Tisha B'Av, we had a really meaningful day -- we had a kumzitz with a bunch of songs, many of which they knew, we made a kosel project, created a bein adam l'chavero
board game that really made them think, kept track of the mitzvos we did that day to try to rebuild the beis hamikdash, read Genendel Krohn's book about the day...I really felt that we made the most of the day.

Any ideas on what I can do on RHS/YK to really bring home the important parts of the day, while still entertaining them and not creating too much extra work for me? I'll start the list with ideas I already have, but I'm hoping some other creative moms can add to it...
    *read from Tishrei Tales, by Genendel Krohn (I love these books!)
    *maybe another kumzitz? Need songs for it, preferably songs that they know...The Teshuva Song from Marvelous Middos Machine, Ani L'dodi, Ki Karov, Avinu Malkeinu, B'rosh Hashana Yikaseivun...
    *Talk about teshuva? I feel like they've probably gotten so much of this from school, how can I make it engaging for them?
    *Something about making Hashem our king? Maybe we can act out what it's like when a king comes to town, how everyone gets so excited?

Really open to any other ideas!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur