Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
Best Credit Card for Getaway

lolymom

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 4:20 pm
So I really would love to get away with my husband this summer but finances are really tight. I was never into credit cards and points. Is it too late for me to sign up for a credit card and get some bonus introductory offer so we can go away for a few nights this summer. Any tips and tricks would be so appreciated!

doctorima

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 7:39 pm
If you sign up now and get the card next week and meet the spending sign-up bonus by the end of the first billing cycle, the points should post in time for you to be able to use them. The question is what type of vacation you want to take, which will determine what kind of points you need (airline, hotel, or general travel expenses)? Also, how much you can realistically spend on the card in the next 3-4 weeks, which will determine which sign-up bonus you'll be able to meet in time?

readreread

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 7:46 pm
I have Chase Sapphire Preferred for this exact reason. I just got a $2000/night hotel room booked in Mexico FOR FREE using my points. (Did the same thing with an expensive hotel in Israel a few years ago!) Highly recommend.

lolymom

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 9:50 pm
doctorima wrote:
If you sign up now and get the card next week and meet the spending sign-up bonus by the end of the first billing cycle, the points should post in time for you to be able to use them. The question is what type of vacation you want to take, which will determine what kind of points you need (airline, hotel, or general travel expenses)? Also, how much you can realistically spend on the card in the next 3-4 weeks, which will determine which sign-up bonus you'll be able to meet in time?

No airfare, I would go locally, no exotic places so let’s say somewhere in New England, or Lake George area.

lolymom

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 9:54 pm
doctorima wrote:

In terms of how much we can spend in the next 3-4 weeks, we usually spend 3-4k a month on expenses not taken directly from my bank.

lolymom

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 9:54 pm
readreread wrote:
I have Chase Sapphire Preferred for this exact reason. I just got a $2000/night hotel room booked in Mexico FOR FREE using my points. (Did the same thing with an expensive hotel in Israel a few years ago!) Highly recommend.

Thank you! Do you know how much you had to spend to get those points?

lolymom

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 10:32 am
Bumping this up again.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains