Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
HS girl wearing the same dress as me
1  2  3  Next

If you’re 35 plus would you wear a dress you spotted on a teenager?
Yes  
 63%  [ 91 ]
No  
 36%  [ 52 ]
Total Votes : 143

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 6:24 pm
I always remind the saleswomen in stores that I don’t want to match my girls. Not even my married daughter. But it happened again. I spent $200 on a dress, went to a vort and a 14 year old girl was matching me. Do I bury in the back of my closet and never wear again?

hodeez

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 6:26 pm
Meh who cares as long as it looks good

amother
Melon

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 6:27 pm
Nowadays all ages wear the same thing. It’s not a big deal. I would not care.

amother
Butterscotch

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 6:31 pm
amother Melon wrote:
Nowadays all ages wear the same thing. It’s not a big deal. I would not care.

This
There’s no way to avoid it
Unless maybe you spend zillions of dollars bec HS girls aren’t spending that

mushkamothers

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 6:33 pm
I've bought dresses in kid sizes because it's cheaper and it fits me!

amother
Mintgreen

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 6:34 pm
I noticed before YT that the same exact fabric and pattern for a dress I tried on from 1 frum company was used to make toddler and baby clothing in another frum store.

That’s life these days. They’re all sourcing from similar Chinese factories.

If it looks good on me, I’d wear it. But would honestly also be a bit disappointed.

amother
Brass

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 6:34 pm
I try hard not to buy at Jewish shops, and if I do, to mix and match and accessorize differently. Hate looking exactly the same as everyone.

NechaMom

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 7:30 pm
No worries. That girl will never wear it again after seeing an old lady in it.

zaq

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 7:34 pm
Halevai I should fit into a dress I saw a 14-year-old wearing, but if I did, why would I care? SHE could say "OMG the kallah's GREAT-AUNT was wearing the same dress as me, I'll have to go into seclusion!" Maybe she has old-lady taste sophisticated beyond her years. In any case, thank goodness the fashion "rules" I grew up with have long since been repealed. As long as it looks good on you, wear whatever you like. If you're not sure, ask a friend whose taste, judgment and honesty you trust.

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 7:44 pm
Happened to me too. Will never wear that dress again.

amother
Cadetblue

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 7:49 pm
My 19 yo DD wore the same Mac Duggal dress to her friends wedding that the chasson’s aunt wore. Who shouldn’t have worn it?

amother
Steel

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 7:50 pm
I saw a 50 year old wearing the same dress as me (in my 20s) and I never wore it again. I just couldn’t unsee it on her.
I hope she continued wearing it…would be a shame if we put never wore it again.

amother
Cadetblue

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 7:58 pm
amother Steel wrote:
I saw a 50 year old wearing the same dress as me (in my 20s) and I never wore it again. I just couldn’t unsee it on her.
I hope she continued wearing it…would be a shame if we put never wore it again.

I’m laughing because I am 48 and my 21 and 23 year old DDs and I share clothes. And we have all gotten compliments on the items. But then again, I don’t live in Lakewood.

mommyhood

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 8:06 pm
In one Shabbos I saw 3 women in the same dress, ages around 60, 40 and 20. It actually looked age appropriate on all of them. The days of clothing being specific for an age are over. I can’t say I love walking into a simcha seeing someone 20+ years older or younger than me matching my clothing but I don’t stop wearing it.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 8:30 pm
When I was around 20 I stepped out do the dressing room in Junees and a 70 year old woman stepped out of the other dressing room at the same time trying on the same dress I was trying on.

amother
RosePink

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 8:32 pm
I saw a little girl wearing a dress in the exact fabric and pattern of my maternity top! It was too funny.

amother
Currant

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 8:33 pm
I don’t think it’s a big deal. My 20 yo sil and 50 yo mother have very similar taste and have a few of the same outfits! They live in different cities, I think it looks good on both of them! Also me and my grandma have some matching Wink. I love it. It’s either very casual stuff or very classic, like a plain black dress.

amother
RosePink

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 8:34 pm
amother SandyBrown wrote:
When I was around 20 I stepped out do the dressing room in Junees and a 70 year old woman stepped out of the other dressing room at the same time trying on the same dress I was trying on.

I don't think Junee's caters to 70 year old woman.....
I appreciate when stores are honest about this. I like to ask saleswoman if girls have bought the item I'm interested in. I can see when they're honest or not.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 8:36 pm
amother RosePink wrote:
I don't think Junee's caters to 70 year old woman.....
I appreciate when stores are honest about this. I like to ask saleswoman if girls have bought the item I'm interested in. I can see when they're honest or not.

TBH I was annoyed. Because the dress I tried on is for very young woman and teens not a grandmother/greatgrandmother.

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 8:36 pm
amother Cadetblue wrote:
I’m laughing because I am 48 and my 21 and 23 year old DDs and I share clothes. And we have all gotten compliments on the items. But then again, I don’t live in Lakewood.

At one brief point in history, when my mom had dieted herself into slimness, she and my sister shared clothes. Sis was in her teens, Mom in her late 30s. Nobody thought anything of it, and Mom was deliriously happy.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics