Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Induction or gas cooktop?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP  

Post Tue, May 28 2024, 7:33 pm
If you had to make the decision, what did you choose and why?
It’s so confusing, both have equal pros and cons, making it so hard to decide.

amother
Freesia

Post Tue, May 28 2024, 7:35 pm
I have both (one for dairy, one for meat) and hate the induction cooktop

amother
Gold

Post Tue, May 28 2024, 7:36 pm
It’s a preference thing. I absolutely hate not having a fire. I don’t care how much sleeker it looks.
You have to try both.

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, May 28 2024, 7:44 pm
I’ve never used induction before, have no idea how it cooks. But apparently, according to the salesman, this is what is sold most today. I’ve heard so many pros and cons from both sides and they’re all really valid. Tough choice.

cutewife

Post Tue, May 28 2024, 7:57 pm
I have induction for milchig and I love it

amother
cornflower  

Post Tue, May 28 2024, 8:00 pm
Induction takes a bit to get used to but in terms of actually cooking it is better than gas in many ways and far superior to standard electric glass top stoves.

It is super easy to keep clean because it never gets hot which also makes it very safe for anyone - especially kids. By never getting hot nothing can get baked or heated onto the surface.

In some areas gas is being banned because of pollution especially in modern homes which are insulated so well that gas effluents are a health issue.

The drawback is that because of the way it operates, it can't be used on Shabbos

amother
Daffodil

Post Tue, May 28 2024, 8:48 pm
I have both. I have induction for dairy and gas for meat. If I could only have one in my house I would definitely go with gas. Food cooks better, and you have more flexibility with the gas. I like the induction basically for pasta because it boils the water very quickly.
Head to head, even scrambled eggs come out better with gas.
Also you can’t kasher induction acccording to my rav so can’t use it for Pesach. That alone would be a deal breaker for me.

simcha12plus

Post Tue, May 28 2024, 8:52 pm
I have both.
induction is a pleasure to use.
however, to get a lot of power, like the amount needed to cook two or three medium to large pots at the same time, you need an EXPENSIVE induction cooktop.
I used to have a powerful induction cooktop. now I have induction only for milchigs, which I don’t need a lot of pots for at once. For fleishigs, I couldn’t afford what would be equivalent in power to a good gas range, so I had to get gas.
(after so many years of making YT without gas, I am used to using plug in burners for YT and I don’t find that a big deal)

amother
SandyBrown  

Post Tue, May 28 2024, 8:53 pm
Gas. Don't induction tops need special kinds of pans?

amother
Eggshell

Post Tue, May 28 2024, 8:56 pm
Excuse my ignorance. I heard of two sinks but why 2 stoves?

amother
Opal  

Post Tue, May 28 2024, 9:33 pm
amother OP wrote:
If you had to make the decision, what did you choose and why?
It’s so confusing, both have equal pros and cons, making it so hard to decide.

This was one of my hardest decisions to make when we were building. I ended up going with induction and I am so so happy! The easy cleanup and safety are the biggest pros for me. Not using it on yt is the biggest con but we figured it out. It's just a few times a year.

amother
  Opal  

Post Tue, May 28 2024, 9:36 pm
amother Daffodil wrote:
I have both. I have induction for dairy and gas for meat. If I could only have one in my house I would definitely go with gas. Food cooks better, and you have more flexibility with the gas. I like the induction basically for pasta because it boils the water very quickly.
Head to head, even scrambled eggs come out better with gas.
Also you can’t kasher induction acccording to my rav so can’t use it for Pesach. That alone would be a deal breaker for me.

In what way does the food cook better with gas? I didn't notice any difference.

amother
  OP

Post Tue, May 28 2024, 9:39 pm
amother Opal wrote:
This was one of my hardest decisions to make when we were building. I ended up going with induction and I am so so happy! The easy cleanup and safety are the biggest pros for me. Not using it on yt is the biggest con but we figured it out. It's just a few times a year.

Thanks for the validation Wink . I’m feeling so one track minded and petty for making such a big deal and not being able to decide. I chose my tiles faster than it’s taking me to make this decision. Some swear by induction and some swear against, and the pros and cons of both are equally strong…

amother
Offwhite

Post Tue, May 28 2024, 9:43 pm
I have a 2 burner induction for Milchigs and gas cooktop for fleishigs.
I figured it out for Milchigs - would not do it for fleishigs.
I find the cooking part hard on it - simmering … boiling that it shouldn’t overflow the top of the pot (which it has)
Gas you have much more control over the flame.
Also my induction top is glass and can’t be koshered for pesach.

amother
  SandyBrown

Post Tue, May 28 2024, 9:46 pm
amother Eggshell wrote:
Excuse my ignorance. I heard of two sinks but why 2 stoves?

I have 2 stove tops. Not technically necessary by any means, but easier.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 12:16 am
So what do you do for cooking on yom tov and what do you use for shabbos?

amother
  Opal

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 1:31 am
amother Aubergine wrote:
So what do you do for cooking on yom tov and what do you use for shabbos?

Yt - plug in burner on a timer or the oven on shabbos mode. Shabbos - hot plate, crock pot.

rivkie123  

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 1:39 am
I love my induction stove! It heats up super fast so boiling water goes so much faster! And the clean up is so easy. Also love how it's safer around kids. I can lock it so they can't turn it on but even if they do - if there is no pot on the burner, it won't turn on.

And just some comments based on the cons other people mentioned...

Most pots these days work for induction too, I only needed to replace two I think. You can test your existing pots and pans with a magnet on the bottom.

We used a special silicon cover to cover it for pesach and it was great and super easy.

I have used all 5 burners at once and it works great, mine is definitely not the most expensive out there (but not the cheapest either) but I think as long as your house has the right electric setup then you should be good

I haven't had any issues with control over the temp. On mine there is 1-14 heat settings so lots of options. And I haven't noticed food tasting different bc of not having a fire.

Yom tov is the one real con in my book but I prefer not to cook on chag anyway (but I'm in Israel so it's usually one day). But my plan is to buy a single electric burner to put on a timer if I think I will need to use it on chag. (And I use an electric Plata, not a blech so shabbos isn't an issue)

rivkie123  

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 2:09 am
https://siliplus.co.il/

This is the cover I use. You can see some rabbis that approved of it lichatchila to use on pesach. There might be similar options you can buy in the US. Definitely worth looking into if getting induction!

dats me

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 3:12 am
rivkie123 wrote:
I love my induction stove! It heats up super fast so boiling water goes so much faster! And the clean up is so easy. Also love how it's safer around kids. I can lock it so they can't turn it on but even if they do - if there is no pot on the burner, it won't turn on.

And just some comments based on the cons other people mentioned...

Most pots these days work for induction too, I only needed to replace two I think. You can test your existing pots and pans with a magnet on the bottom.

We used a special silicon cover to cover it for pesach and it was great and super easy.

I have used all 5 burners at once and it works great, mine is definitely not the most expensive out there (but not the cheapest either) but I think as long as your house has the right electric setup then you should be good

I haven't had any issues with control over the temp. On mine there is 1-14 heat settings so lots of options. And I haven't noticed food tasting different bc of not having a fire.

Yom tov is the one real con in my book but I prefer not to cook on chag anyway (but I'm in Israel so it's usually one day). But my plan is to buy a single electric burner to put on a timer if I think I will need to use it on chag. (And I use an electric Plata, not a blech so shabbos isn't an issue)

Can I ask what company cooktop you have?
I’m also in Israel and looking for recommendations.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics