Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
New ASD diagnosis for 19 month old
1  2  Next

amother
OP  

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 3:08 pm
My child just got diagnosed this week. It's been really hard on us, and I'm especially struggling today seeing all of the videos from daycare of all the children playing and dancing together while my child sits in the corner doing his repetitive behaviors.

Can someone give me some words of reassurance, or stories of positive experiences with the NYC early intervention program? I really need uplifting right now.

amother
Dandelion

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 3:14 pm
Yeled V’yalda
Step by step
Atideinu
Yaldeinu

#BestBubby  

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 3:19 pm
This is controversial.

But there are stories of children who recovered with biological interventions

Such as gluten free dairy free diets

No artificial colors

Supplements

Search online.

In addition to aba therapy.

Read the book "let me hear your voice"

An easy read about by a mother whose two autistic children recovered through ABA.

amother
Periwinkle  

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 3:33 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
This is controversial.

No artificial colors

Supplements

Search online.

An easy read about by a mother whose two autistic children recovered through ABA.
I second this. There is hope for recovery. It's not an easy or straightforward path, but it can be done and there are so many resources these days.

amother
Seashell

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 3:36 pm
I work as a Floortime therapist and I've seen incredible transformations.

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 3:48 pm
19 months is a baby. Do the interventions now and your kid will be a different person in a few short years. As opposed to the parents in denial who first start seeking help at age 4 or 5 (or even later) when it's much harder. You are off to an incredible start already and you're giving your child the very best chance by dealing with it now.

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 3:51 pm
amother OP wrote:
My child just got diagnosed this week. It's been really hard on us, and I'm especially struggling today seeing all of the videos from daycare of all the children playing and dancing together while my child sits in the corner doing his repetitive behaviors.

Can someone give me some words of reassurance, or stories of positive experiences with the NYC early intervention program? I really need uplifting right now.

Please stop vaccinating immediately. Look into biomedical interventions the earlier the better you need to rule out genetics, mold, viruses etc
The earlier you work on this the more likely you can get your child better

#BestBubby  

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 4:38 pm
I second to stop vaccinating.

amother
Red

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 5:29 pm
OP the first thing you should do is get a second opinion. I've compared evaluations outside early intervention and private and the private ones were much better. The early intervention ones are usually rushed and many times the evaluation is not accurate. A speech evaluation I saw for example lasted 30 minutes while the private one lasted almost 3 hours. Before jumping the gun go to a private psychologist and see if it's confirmed.

amother
DarkKhaki  

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 5:39 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
This is controversial.

No artificial colors

Supplements

Search online.

can this be true for a high functioning asd child as well? Blake came white thinking, rigidness, and missing some social skills?

amother
Lotus

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 7:58 pm
OP that’s really hard new to get. Get as many services as possible while he’s so little. NYC is one of the best places to be they give a ton for ASD.

amother
  Periwinkle  

Post Sat, May 18 2024, 9:52 pm
amother DarkKhaki wrote:
can this be true for a high functioning asd child as well? Blake came white thinking, rigidness, and missing some social skills?
Of course

amother
  DarkKhaki  

Post Sat, May 18 2024, 10:07 pm
amother Periwinkle wrote:
Of course
even though it's definitely genetic? He's a copy from my dh with all his symptoms and some cousins have this too.

amother
  Periwinkle  

Post Sat, May 18 2024, 10:10 pm
amother DarkKhaki wrote:
even though it's definitely genetic? He's a copy from my dh with all his symptoms and some cousins have this too.
There may be genetic predispostions, even very strong ones, but these genes don't define his destiny and they could be turned off. It will probably take a lot of hard work, but there is hope.

amother
  DarkKhaki  

Post Sat, May 18 2024, 10:13 pm
There may be genetic predispostions, even very strong ones, but these genes don't define his destiny and they could be turned off. It will probably take a lot of hard work, but there is hope.
please elaborate. I would do anything in the world his future wife shouldn't suffer and feel as lonely and sad as a spouse with an asd husband can feel

amother
  Periwinkle  

Post Sat, May 18 2024, 10:15 pm
amother DarkKhaki wrote:
please elaborate. I would do anything in the world his future wife shouldn't suffer and feel as lonely and sad as a spouse with an asd husband can feel
I don't want to hijack OPs thread do you want to start a new one?

amother
  DarkKhaki  

Post Sat, May 18 2024, 10:22 pm
I don't want to hijack OPs thread do you want to start a new one?
hadn't realized. thanks for bringing it too my attention. Will do.

amother
  Periwinkle

Post Sat, May 18 2024, 10:28 pm
amother DarkKhaki wrote:
hadn't realized. thanks for bringing it too my attention. Will do.
Unless OP is OK discussing it here. It's a little controversial like bestbubby said, and some people find it offensive

#BestBubby

Post Sat, May 18 2024, 11:17 pm
amother DarkKhaki wrote:

I heard people do the same interventions for adhd and saw improvement.

Worth trying.

The diet gluten free, dairy free is hard

But giving supplements and probiotic is easy.

Last edited by #BestBubby on Sun, May 19 2024, 8:55 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Fern  

Post Sat, May 18 2024, 11:30 pm
For Early Intervention go to eis laasois/ step by step, they have a really warm and knowledgeable BCBA supervisor. She really helped me with the whole process and made us feel so supported. She was very intune and was able to guide our therapist and smooth out bumps. She also told me about Ezreinu and CARE, they are so helpful with guiding where to go, what's out there etc this is Ezreinu number 7187501010
If you live in Flatbush/Syrian you can also call CARE they are so amazing, have guidance and really support have events. Look into My Playroom in BP for when you are ready to send out to playgroup age, warm ABA center, they really care about your child, the whole picture
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)