Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Near accident

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 1:36 pm
There was a video posted by Boro Park scoop of a child that was almost hit by a car in an intersection.
I don't know how to link it but it clearly shows the CHILD at fault. The child ran into the intersection without stopping to look. The car already made the legal turn and another car parked illegally in the crosswalk blocked the drivers view.
I am bringing awareness to this because this time of year when the weather is nicer kids are playing outside more and are less careful with the street. Parents need to supervise and/or educate their children with proper street safety.
As an aside, when accidents do happen people on here are very judgmental and jump to blame the driver. That's not always the case!

stillnewlywed

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 1:41 pm
I almost hit a 3 year old who was crossing the street on her own yesterday. Please supervise your kids!

patzer

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 1:46 pm
If a car was parked illegally, blocking a crosswalk, wouldn't it be at least partially that driver's fault?

groovy1224

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 1:47 pm
Im not disagreeing with you at all that parents need to educate their children on basic safety.

However, as a driver, if something is blocking your view -even someone parked illegally- you must proceed with extreme caution until your view is clear.

Even children who do know how to be safe sometimes may do stupid things because..they're kids. The burden of caution will always be primarily on the driver.

happy chick

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 1:47 pm
patzer wrote:
If a car was parked illegally, blocking a crosswalk, wouldn't it be at least partially that driver's fault?

Very well could be. But nobody wants to be the driver hitting a kid, r"l and blaming it on someone else.

patzer

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 1:52 pm
happy chick wrote:
Very well could be. But nobody wants to be the driver hitting a kid, r"l and blaming it on someone else.

Of course not. But the original poster mentioned that the child was to blame, and I'm wondering why she would say that.

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 2:06 pm
The child clearly ran into the street from between 2 cars without stopping, without looking.
The driver made the turn legally and was bh going slow enough to stop in time.
Why would the driver be at fault he made a legal turn?
The car blocking his view could have enabled him to see the kid coming from further back but if the kid wasn't in the street when he made the turn the driver had the right of way. The kid literally ran into the oncoming car

ImmaBubby

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 2:10 pm
It just takes awareness on EVERYONE’s part.
Nobody gains by passing the buck in these situations…

giftedmom

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 2:13 pm
There are so many of these near accidents, just yesterday a child was mildly injured close to where I live. We only hear when there’s a tragedy.

Ruchel

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 2:34 pm
Please parents
Helmets
It's so hard being that mom

amother
Cognac

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 3:01 pm
I saw the video. The kid came out between 2 parked cars. The fact that it was at an intersection doesn’t make much of a difference because unfortunately kids do this all the time, intersections or not. We need to teach our kids how to cross safely!

amother
Snow

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 3:12 pm
patzer wrote:
Of course not. But the original poster mentioned that the child was to blame, and I'm wondering why she would say that.

If the child crossed the street without checking for traffic, then the child is to blame. Even if there was a car illegally parked. It has nothing to do with a child walking in to traffic.

ImmaBubby

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 7:36 am
During Chol HaMoed I avoided an accident, C"V, by driving well below speed limit on a usually active street. It was early in the morning, and as I meandered down the street, a small child of 3-4 just walked nonchalantly across the street, right in front of me and out of nowhere, with no adult in sight. ANYWHERE. For a while. I don't know where the child was headed on his own- maybe a park nearby?
Later on in the day, there were 2 post on our neighborhood whatsapp chat about missing kids. BH they were found and returned to their families.
My takeaways:
1) Lock your doors even when everyone is home! Little ones love helping themselves to the outdoors when no one is looking.
2) ALWAYS have someone responsible- and not on their phones- watch these little ones!

Car seats have millions of directions and weight limits. We need the same vigilance when our kids are out of the cars!

amother
Cognac

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 10:08 am
There’s another video going around of a child who looked to be around 3-4 years old coming out between 2 cars and nearly getting hit. Mothers please watch your children!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics