Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Why would anyone want a Tesla?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

GLUE  

Post Sat, Dec 30 2023, 10:40 pm
Cars need fuel. That's like saying why would you want a regular car if yoy have to find a gas station every time it's low on fuel? At least with a tesla you can charge it overnight while you sleep (if you have the charging set up) and not have to schlep out to refuel. How long does it take to recharge? There has been plenty of times over the years when I had to shelp out at night for some reason or another.
Will it be recharging if I need it for some reason or another at night?

Pretty sure trying to change the software on any car will void the warranty.
If I chance the software on my car it will still run can you say the same for a Tesla?

amother
Pewter

Post Sat, Dec 30 2023, 10:44 pm
We own one. It's cheaper than half of the frum cars you see out there (Acura, Infinity).

The software you refer to might be the self driving? We don't even have that. It's an optional upgrade, totally not necessary.

I don't know what you mean about a car not available to drive at all times? The charge lasts a long time. And when you need to charge it, you do. If you need to drive it while it iss charging, you drive it. And then start charging again. Takes 30 seconds.

HappyMamma

Post Sat, Dec 30 2023, 11:44 pm
devo1982 wrote:
Between federal and state rebates and Tesla’s recent price cuts, it’s coming out to 25,000 and it’s enough for my husband to seriously consider it at that price point (I am very not happy about this idea).

Make sure with your accountant that the state and government rebates are still available. For 2022 there was a certain amount of new owners that were able to get the rebate and once that limit passed, that was it.

amother
Obsidian

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 12:47 am
I don't know... Tesla wasn't very cost effective for me. Been driving the same Toyota Corolla for over a decade. So I just do oil changes, gas etc.

Runs amazingly. Battery replacement isn't too expensive either.

Tesla insurance is way higher than my car too.

Tesla is worse for the environment. Where does the electricity come from? Odds are coal. Then the battery creation also requires rare earth metals, it doesn't decompose and goes straight to landfills, and requires a ton of energy to create.

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 12:52 am
In the height of the rebates it was $350/400 to lease the cheapest model . The small one . And no gas or money down

amother
  Burlywood  

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 1:13 am
GLUE wrote:
Cars need fuel. That's like saying why would you want a regular car if yoy have to find a gas station every time it's low on fuel? At least with a tesla you can charge it overnight while you sleep (if you have the charging set up) and not have to schlep out to refuel. How long does it take to recharge? There has been plenty of times over the years when I had to shelp out at night for some reason or another.
Will it be recharging if I need it for some reason or another at night?

Pretty sure trying to change the software on any car will void the warranty.
If I chance the software on my car it will still run can you say the same for a Tesla?

How do you change software on your car? Anytime you modify the built in software running on an electronic device you run the risk that it won't work properly. Do you want to take that risk on a car? Like jailbreaking a phone. You might get more features but you're adding security risks. So who would want to add unauthorized software to their car and void the warranty and risk making it unstable and unsafe?

amother
Hibiscus

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 1:53 am
Quiet ride
Smooth pickup
People like technology
People feel that EVs are the future
Not expensive
Loyalty to a brand

GLUE  

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 1:58 am
amother Burlywood wrote:
How do you change software on your car? Anytime you modify the built in software running on an electronic device you run the risk that it won't work properly. Do you want to take that risk on a car? Like jailbreaking a phone. You might get more features but you're adding security risks. So who would want to add unauthorized software to their car and void the warranty and risk making it unstable and unsafe?

I hear what you are saying the problem is you can't get rid of unnecessary software either. There is plenty of software that the Tesla has that drains the battery and has nothing to do with running the car. If you try to remove it the car could stop.

Look at the whole thing with people trying to get rid of there unfiltered internet.
That's anther thing your car is hooked up to the internet and you can't get rid of it.

GLUE  

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 1:59 am
Has anyone been using your Tesla after the battery's warranty ran out?
How does it drive?

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 2:17 am
amother Coral wrote:
The Tesla image days are long over. It’s not considered especially fancy anymore- in Lakewood it’s basically the new Camry. After price cuts and all the grants it’s a relatively affordable option.

Exactly. It’s basically a “yeshivish” car at this point. That and the genesis are the most typical Lakewood cars after the minivan.

amother
  Burlywood  

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 7:17 am
GLUE wrote:
I hear what you are saying the problem is you can't get rid of unnecessary software either. There is plenty of software that the Tesla has that drains the battery and has nothing to do with running the car. If you try to remove it the car could stop.

Look at the whole thing with people trying to get rid of there unfiltered internet.
That's anther thing your car is hooked up to the internet and you can't get rid of it.

That's a safety feature. No one says anyone has to buy a tesla but it is for your own safety not to be able to modify the software. Especially a car like Tesla that is so heavily dependent on software.
Again, even if other cars will run with software changes, it voids the warranty, and for good reasons. If you want a car without internet, buy a car without internet.

amother
Strawberry

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 7:40 am
I've never researched myself. But of my three friends that have Teslas, one just replaced with another car - she hated everything about it. Two say they wouldn't do it again, one is selling to her married son.
They claim the charging is a pain. When one had to temporarily relocate from her home after a fire, it meant finding a local tesla dealer to charge at. Closest location was a 15 to 20 min drive. It's cool for 5 minutes. That Era passed already.

amother
Garnet  

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 9:24 pm
In the news a woman
Was charging her Tesla and it locked she had to break windows to get baby
This was in the news before

amother
Gardenia

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 9:48 pm
Ok lady
Whats your point
You bumped up 10 diff tesla threads from 5 years ago to repeat the same thing
Ppl lock their gas cars with kids inside by mistake as well

Magnolia72

Post Fri, Sep 13 2024, 1:33 am
amother Bottlebrush wrote:
Omg imamother loves to hate on tesla owners. We got it bec it was cheaper than getting a standard Hinda or Toyota

Same!!!!

GLUE  

Post Fri, Sep 13 2024, 2:06 am
amother Burlywood wrote:
That's a safety feature. No one says anyone has to buy a tesla but it is for your own safety not to be able to modify the software. Especially a car like Tesla that is so heavily dependent on software.
Again, even if other cars will run with software changes, it voids the warranty, and for good reasons. If you want a car without internet, buy a car without internet.

Since someone bumped this thread up, I will respond to your question.

Nope it is not a safety feature it is a $$$$ feature.

As the right to repair movement has pointed out, when Co. say it's a safety feature what it really means that if people have the right to change stuff on the products that they own with out it combusting or not working, the Co. loses a lot of money.

Look at apple for years apple made it difficult for anyone to repair their products out side of their own repair stores. Apple claimed it was a safety issue, what do you know after they lost the law suit and had to provide tools and parts for people to repair there own apple products the Co. lost a lot of $$$$.

Go read up on the right to repair movement and you will find apple is not alone with that, every Co. that cried it was a safety feature so that is why you can't change or repair the product that you own. After losing a law suit and having to let people do their own repairs ect.. lost $$$ because it's not a safety feature as much as a $$$$ feature.

That is why I don't think it's for Tesla uses safety that the car that someone owns will stop working if they modify the software. In Tesla it's not a matter of voiding the warranty many times if you try to change the software the car will not run because of a kill switch in it that will activate if you try to change the software.

amother
  Burlywood  

Post Fri, Sep 13 2024, 6:38 am
GLUE wrote:
Since someone bumped this thread up, I will respond to your question.

Nope it is not a safety feature it is a $$$$ feature.

As the right to repair movement has pointed out, when Co. say it's a safety feature what it really means that if people have the right to change stuff on the products that they own with out it combusting or not working, the Co. loses a lot of money.

Look at apple for years apple made it difficult for anyone to repair their products out side of their own repair stores. Apple claimed it was a safety issue, what do you know after they lost the law suit and had to provide tools and parts for people to repair there own apple products the Co. lost a lot of $$$$.

Go read up on the right to repair movement and you will find apple is not alone with that, every Co. that cried it was a safety feature so that is why you can't change or repair the product that you own. After losing a law suit and having to let people do their own repairs ect.. lost $$$ because it's not a safety feature as much as a $$$$ feature.

That is why I don't think it's for Tesla uses safety that the car that someone owns will stop working if they modify the software. In Tesla it's not a matter of voiding the warranty many times if you try to change the software the car will not run because of a kill switch in it that will activate if you try to change the software.

Modifying the software is very different from repairing equipment. Right to repair neans being able to fix it when it is broken. Not modifying it so it functions differently than it originally did.

Modifying a car or even an iphoneso it works differently than originally intended can introduce a lot of issues. Security issues for sure, and safety issues when you're dealing with a car.

GLUE  

Post Fri, Sep 13 2024, 6:44 am
amother Burlywood wrote:
Modifying the software is very different from repairing equipment. Right to repair neans being able to fix it when it is broken. Not modifying it so it functions differently than it originally did.

Modifying a car or even an iphoneso it works differently than originally intended can introduce a lot of issues. Security issues for sure, and safety issues when you're dealing with a car.

I hear what you are saying,
The reason I don't believe it is because every time a Co. said it's because of saftey the real reason was $$$$

amother
Banana

Post Fri, Sep 13 2024, 6:49 am
while we don't want an electric vehicle for many reasons
if we did we would get a Tesla
and we do appreciate Elon Musk
guy is a genius
and a free market free speech guy
so rock on Elon!

so predictable how now that he has come out in favor of free speech and put his money where his mouth is suddenly all the top down narrative about him has changed about him and for his products
as it does for everyone and anyone who doesn't march in lockstep
B"H for freedom of opinion and speech

amother
  Burlywood  

Post Fri, Sep 13 2024, 7:09 am
GLUE wrote:
I hear what you are saying,
The reason I don't believe it is because every time a Co. said it's because of saftey the real reason was $$$$

For most equipment it wouldn't be a safety issue. But you don't see how ot would br a safety issue for a car to malfunction while you're driving 65 mph on the highway?

But it is a very well known fact amongst people who modify their electronics that there is a good chance your device will not function properly or might be totally destroyed in the process of trying to modify it.

I really think you're confusing repairing with modifying and they're two very different things with very different issues.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics