Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
I`m from Stamford Hill, London AMA
  Previous  1  2  3 12  13 14  15  16  Next

Debbie

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 9:02 am
amother Sage wrote:
I am allowed to ask on here where I can get a ful black slip in stamford hill?

cotton top and the rest slip material?

Maybe Finx Housecoats 164 Stamford Hill or perhaps American Dry Goods (Weiners) 41 Oldhill Street
also Complete Comfort 91 Dunsmure Road Dominion House; I can't remember which buzzer but it should say somewhere.

amother
  Valerian  

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 9:15 am
amother Papayawhip wrote:
You must be my classmate then 😜

Really? No way! So have you figured out who I am yet?

Ruchi  

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 12:47 pm
No offence but being chassidish and wearing black tights is a paradox.
Once upon a time, women were proud to be chassidish and stuck to the chassidish mesorah in dressing, hosiery etc.. Nowadays, when you see women, you can't tell the difference who is chassidish and who isn't.

amother
  Linen  

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 12:52 pm
Ruchi wrote:
Once upon a time, women were proud to be chassidish and stuck to the chassidish mesorah in dressing, hosiery etc.. Nowadays, when you see women, you can't tell the difference who is chassidish and who isn't.

Most people who stick to chassidish dress codes today have no mesorah for it, they adopted it in the last 20 years and now their children are rejecting it.

Ruchi  

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 12:58 pm
amother Linen wrote:
Most people who stick to chassidish dress codes today have no mesorah for it, they adopted it in the last 20 years and now their children are rejecting it.

This decline actually started around 20 years ago.

amother
  Linen  

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 1:06 pm
Ruchi wrote:
This decline actually started around 20 years ago.

30 years ago many people who wear a shtreimel now didn't,
Women who shave their hair, their mother's didn't
Women who wear bands on their sheitels, their mother's didn't.
Many women who would never drive today whereas their mother's did.
A lot of these minhagim have no strong chassidish mesorah, they were more recently adopted by the masses.

Ruchi  

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 1:29 pm
amother Linen wrote:
30 years ago many people who wear a shtreimel now didn't,
Women who shave their hair, their mother's didn't
Women who wear bands on their sheitels, their mother's didn't.
Many women who would never drive today whereas their mother's did.
A lot of these minhagim have no strong chassidish mesorah, they were more recently adopted by the masses.

Some are also tne very opposite nowadays. Women whose mothers shave, don't shave, the same goes for driving, black tights and other things.

piz1

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 1:31 pm
After she was headmistress in Yesodei Hatora senior school she may have gone to elsewhere....

amother
Hosta  

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 1:48 pm
Is it true that the totenham eiruv is being expanded to the rest of SH?

amother
  Papayawhip

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 1:58 pm
amother Valerian wrote:
Really? No way! So have you figured out who I am yet?

Does your name begin with an f?

amother
  Navy  

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 2:15 pm
Even the bocherim that go with Samet hats most of their fathers go with normal krach hitten

amother
  Navy  

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 2:21 pm
I never knew that Mrs Mandel was head of YHS? As far back as I remember it was always Mrs Pinter OH

amother
Firethorn

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 3:54 pm
Ruchi wrote:

Hard disagree. But the way you said it reflects what Chasidus has become. It used to be that chasidus was a way of living, an internal way of serving Hashem. Coming from a Chasidish family that roots back to before the war, I know this. I also know that there was less of a fuss on how the woman were dressed. And on how the men were dressed.
Now, (in Stamford Hill), if a man/bucher wears his peyos up, and his wife wears black tights, they are not chasidish. They can be running a fully chasidish home, but it's all about the externals.

But wait, someone else who just looks the part is 'chasidish'. What makes them chasidish? Is it only the way they look?

amother
  Valerian  

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 5:22 pm
amother Papayawhip wrote:
Does your name begin with an f?

Yup. With the details I shared on here, I gave you an easy time... Can't Believe It
Wish I knew who you were!!

amother
  Valerian  

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 5:27 pm
amother Firethorn wrote:
Hard disagree. But the way you said it reflects what Chasidus has become. It used to be that chasidus was a way of living, an internal way of serving Hashem. Coming from a Chasidish family that roots back to before the war, I know this. I also know that there was less of a fuss on how the woman were dressed. And on how the men were dressed.
Now, (in Stamford Hill), if a man/bucher wears his peyos up, and his wife wears black tights, they are not chasidish. They can be running a fully chasidish home, but it's all about the externals.

But wait, someone else who just looks the part is 'chasidish'. What makes them chasidish? Is it only the way they look?

Completely agree firethorn. Yes, there are some chassidus-s that always had more stringent rules, but others like vishnitz have become way frummer in the last 15yrs or so, requiring sheitel covering, etc.
Sadly, without it reflecting on more substance or erlichkeit inside.

Perhaps this explains why so many young chassidish girls are going downhill. Something that's merely external doesn't talk much to them.

amother
  Valerian  

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 5:31 pm
Ruchi wrote:

Can you explain the paradox to me? If someone's chassidus requires this as mesora- which I know satmar does, and Belz, maybe more... then you have a case; but this is a new 'thing' for most. And to rest so much weight upon this-- seems somewhat laughable.

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 6:23 pm
amother Brickred wrote:
Would you look to move to one of the new areas, westcliff or canvey?

I prefer not to. I am a city girl at heart, and need the busyness of city life in order to thrive.

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 6:34 pm
amother DarkMagenta wrote:
Was terribly bullied by her all 5 years of seniors, and I am not the only one. Cant forgive yet, maybe 1 day I will. Was so so painful.

I don`t think anyone meant to ask the name of who bullied DarkMagenta. They probably mean to ask if it was a classmate or a teacher, headmistress etc.

I feel for you DarkMagenta! Sorry for what you went through.

Ruchi  

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 6:36 pm
amother Valerian wrote:
Can you explain the paradox to me? If someone's chassidus requires this as mesora- which I know satmar does, and Belz, maybe more... then you have a case; but this is a new 'thing' for most. And to rest so much weight upon this-- seems somewhat laughable.

Yes, I am referring to those chassidus plus Skver, Monsey Viznitz...

Ruchi  

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 6:39 pm
amother OP wrote:
I don`t think anyone meant to ask the name of who bullied DarkMagenta. They probably mean to ask if it was a classmate or a teacher, headmistress etc.

I feel for you DarkMagenta! Sorry for what you went through.

But she's not Satmar, just happened to teach there.
You have been through a lot of pain and that is terrible.
I totally understand you for not being able to forgive.
I was also once badly bullied by a teacher. I won't ever forget it.
Page 13 of 16   Previous  1  2  3 12  13 14  15  16  Next Recent Topics