Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
If you’re a guest at someones house
Previous  1  2

flowerpower

Post Sun, Sep 24 2023, 12:26 pm
amother Cerise wrote:
On the same note, I was once asked to strip linen when I was a guest.
OMG the Duvet, pillows a d mattress underneath were vomit worthy. We were absolutely disgusted that we slept on that.

Please please as a host:
Either spend a few dollars to replace bedding and mattress pads (you can find everything for cheap these days), or do not ask your guests to strip the linens!

I got new beds, matresses, pillows, linen, and the best blankets for my guest room so I am not embarrassed. I like made beds though at all times… it’s easy to ask- “would you like your linen stripped” ?

Ema of 5  

Post Sun, Sep 24 2023, 12:28 pm
flowerpower wrote:
I got new beds, matresses, pillows, linen, and the best blankets for my guest room so I am not embarrassed. I like made beds though at all times… it’s easy to ask- “would you like your linen stripped” ?

I ask every time, even if it’s someone I’ve gone to before and I already know what they will say. Not that we go away very often….

amother
DarkKhaki  

Post Sun, Sep 24 2023, 12:33 pm
I once stayed at someone's home and realized that the linen I was sleeping on was not fresh...it had been slept on before (in the light of morning I could see hair etc on the pillow case and sheets). Probably the hostesss had asked her guests previously not to strip the linen and just forgot to get to it herself. So just an fyi, sometimes "out of sight out of mind" if a bed looks made that doesn't mean it is clean!!
(Personally I am happy if guests strip the linen. I like to get the chore of washing taken care of, and seeing that linen heaped up is a good reminder to get it done!)

Ema of 5  

Post Sun, Sep 24 2023, 1:44 pm
amother DarkKhaki wrote:
I once stayed at someone's home and realized that the linen I was sleeping on was not fresh...it had been slept on before (in the light of morning I could see hair etc on the pillow case and sheets). Probably the hostesss had asked her guests previously not to strip the linen and just forgot to get to it herself. So just an fyi, sometimes "out of sight out of mind" if a bed looks made that doesn't mean it is clean!!
(Personally I am happy if guests strip the linen. I like to get the chore of washing taken care of, and seeing that linen heaped up is a good reminder to get it done!)

Any chance it could have been hair that shed from the hostess’s head when she made the bed? Otherwise….eeeeeewwwww!!!!

doodlesmom

Post Sun, Sep 24 2023, 1:50 pm
I sometimes put my little kids to sleep right on the guests used linen especially if it’s at night and it was my sibling.

And I then wash it when it works for me.

amother
  DarkKhaki

Post Sun, Sep 24 2023, 2:20 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
Any chance it could have been hair that shed from the hostess’s head when she made the bed? Otherwise….eeeeeewwwww!!!!

No, the hostess had short straight hair (under her sheitel) and these were long wavy strands. Not mine, either. I really think she just forgot--saw a bed that was made up and didn't realize it hadn't been changed since the last guest.

amother
Thistle

Post Mon, Sep 25 2023, 10:36 am
I also prefer not to have linens sitting on the floor of the guest suite until I get to it. I'd rather leave everything on the bed, even not properly made and strip it when I am ready to wash it.

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Mon, Sep 25 2023, 1:05 pm
I don't like leaving my dirty linen on
What's the obsession with bedrooms looking perfectly made up until you're ready for the linen to be washed? It isn't perfect it's actually DIRTY

amother
Navyblue

Post Mon, Sep 25 2023, 2:27 pm
My husband was just staying somewhere for yom kippur and he told me he eould never think to strip the beds but he did it just for me!

Ew! would never want my guests used linen sitting on the bed until I can clean it...
Yes it looks neater but its my guests used bedding!...
Id rather it off the bed on a messy pule on the floor all week until I can wash it.

If I would ever ask to strip the bedding my host would just say leave it I.e theyl do it themselves.
Never ever thought not to strip, I always felt its impolite not to.

Is this an American thing?

amother
Feverfew

Post Mon, Sep 25 2023, 3:59 pm
Well I'm British and I wouldn't dream of leaving my bedding on, and then leaving my host.
It's going on the washing I hope, let me take it off.
If I ask, most hosts will say not to bother and they'll/their cleaner take it off.
Agree with above poster - what's with needing to keep old guests bedding on to keep the room looking neat till you get round to laundry day?!
Nope, bedding off and ready to be washed

Ema of 5  

Post Mon, Sep 25 2023, 5:39 pm
amother Bluebonnet wrote:
What's the obsession with bedrooms looking perfectly made up until you're ready for the linen to be washed? It isn't perfect it's actually DIRTY

Why is someone liking something different than you an obsession? No one sees my guest room, it’s on a separate floor and the door is always closed. No obsession here, just something different than you.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Sep 25 2023, 5:40 pm
amother DarkKhaki wrote:
No, the hostess had short straight hair (under her sheitel) and these were long wavy strands. Not mine, either. I really think she just forgot--saw a bed that was made up and didn't realize it hadn't been changed since the last guest.

Oops….

amother
Dustypink

Post Mon, Sep 25 2023, 6:10 pm
flowerpower wrote:
And use their private guest apartment( that is part of their house)
1- ASK before you take off the linen
2- let them know when you leave

I was thinking of posting exactly this this week.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Mon, Sep 25 2023, 6:32 pm
flowerpower wrote:
And use their private guest apartment( that is part of their house)
1- ASK before you take off the linen
2- let them know when you leave

Everyone's focusing on the linen but #2 is so important too! I just had my neighbor's guests that didn't tell me when they left and I was afraid to go in and clean up... because the last time I did that it turned out that they hadn't left!! Surprised TMI Nobody bothered to tell me that they were staying another night.

amother
Bergamot

Post Mon, Sep 25 2023, 6:35 pm
amother Lightpink wrote:
Yeah, I’ve always wondered why someone wouldn’t want it stripped too

Lots of people’s mattresses aren’t in great condition with stains etc. maybe that’s why.

amother
  Yolk

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 11:58 am
amother Bluebonnet wrote:

I don't consider it dirty just because someone slept on it for a few nights. My personal linen isn't dirty between washing. If it's truly unclean, sure I'll wash it right away. If it's just been slept on normally, I'd rather it stay neat and then wash once before the next guests come for hygiene and freshness.

amother
Holly

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 12:32 pm
amother Camellia wrote:
Let's say laundry day is not til Thursday, and it's a room they actually use for whatever reason. (My baby sleeps in my guest room.) So now they have to look at ugly stripped beds all week, whereas otherwise they would have the cleaning lady strip it, wash it, dry it, and put it back on (or do that themselves, whatever). Point is, not everyone washes their linen immediately Sunday morning and they would rather see a clean neat room than bare beds.

This. My guestroom is my office and I hate having an ugly stripped bed next to me while I work. I don't wash the bedlinens until I have another guest. It really irritates me when guests strip without asking, so I try to head them off before they leave and tell them not to strip the beds.

I like the idea posted upthread of the "house rules" plaque. I think I'm going to make one when I have a few minutes.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette