Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Fixing a tough roast
1  2  Next

amother
OP  

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 12:00 am
I made my french roast on 275 for 5 hours, after which the meat thermometer read very high, though it seemed kinda hard to cut, so I sliced and froze. I reheated in the oven and it stayed there for maybe 3 hours, and though it was definitely edible, it was tough as a steak to cut, def not the soft meat I was looking for.

I have a half a pan if this left in my fridge and 2 more pans in the freezer! Was 7+ pounds! What do I do with it?

amother
Watermelon  

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 12:04 am
(Your oven temp was way too low IMO)

amother
Offwhite

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 12:11 am
I'm in the US and I find when I buy imported meat, it's tough. No matter how long in the oven or what temp, I've never figured out how to get it soft.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 11:02 am
No one?

I got 3 chunks of meat together and the other two came out great so don't think it was just a bad batch.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 11:09 am
I think you cooked it for too little. 7 pounds is huge. I would have done way more hours.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 11:10 am
Would it be fixed with baking longer? If so how?

Iymnok

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 11:11 am
Did you add liquid?

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 11:13 am
Iymnok wrote:
Did you add liquid?

I used my mothers recipe.

I spread it with onion soup mix, duck sauce, teriyaki, marinated few hours, covered with thin onions slices, baked on low for 5 hours

ettilou

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 11:13 am
At this point, I’d be sure there lots of liquid in the pan, drizzle some fat/Olivie oil on top if there’snot enough fat in the meat and leave in oven at 250 for 10 hours overnight

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 11:21 am
ettilou wrote:
At this point, I’d be sure there lots of liquid in the pan, drizzle some fat/Olivie oil on top if there’snot enough fat in the meat and leave in oven at 250 for 10 hours overnight

Thanks! Ill try that.

amother
Lightpink

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 11:38 am
Slice it thin when chilled.
Before a YT meal, rewarm it in sauce until soft and tender.

Rappel

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 12:09 pm
Add garlic. It's a great tenderizer

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 2:59 pm
Put it in the crock pot, and make pulled beef.

ddmom

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 3:07 pm
ettilou wrote:

This!
Add wine and make sure it's well covered!

egam

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 3:16 pm
amother Watermelon wrote:
(Your oven temp was way too low IMO)

Absolutely not. These cuts of meat should be made on low and slow. I sometimes make a brisket for Shabbos day and I set my oven for 225.

amother
  Watermelon

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 3:29 pm
egam wrote:
Absolutely not. These cuts of meat should be made on low and slow. I sometimes make a brisket for Shabbos day and I set my oven for 225.

Yes but if you do you cook it for 18 hours. She cooked it for 5. I meant too low for that duration of time

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 6:28 pm
ettilou wrote:

Checked after every few hours and took out after 5 (13 altogether!) And seems soft now!

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 6:35 pm
amother SandyBrown wrote:
I think you cooked it for too little. 7 pounds is huge. I would have done way more hours.

I would have done it at 225 for about 10 hours. 7 lbs is large

amother
Viola

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 10:29 pm
amother OP wrote:
I used my mothers recipe.

I spread it with onion soup mix, duck sauce, teriyaki, marinated few hours, covered with thin onions slices, baked on low for 5 hours

Thank you so much for sharing this with us! Your recipe sounds incredibly intriguing, and I'm excited to give it a try. Could you kindly share the ratio of the ingredients with us?

When you mentioned spreading it with onion soup mix, did you mean using it as a meat rub, or did you sprinkle a generous tablespoonful onto the meat? Additionally, are the sauces measured in common U.S. measurements, or is there a way you could convey them so that a novice can replicate a similar recipe at home?

Thank you so much for your time. 😊

amother
  OP

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 11:14 pm
amother Viola wrote:
Thank you so much for sharing this with us! Your recipe sounds incredibly intriguing, and I'm excited to give it a try. Could you kindly share the ratio of the ingredients with us?

When you mentioned spreading it with onion soup mix, did you mean using it as a meat rub, or did you sprinkle a generous tablespoonful onto the meat? Additionally, are the sauces measured in common U.S. measurements, or is there a way you could convey them so that a novice can replicate a similar recipe at home?

Thank you so much for your time. 😊

I just shook some soup mix all over and smeared sauces all over. Measuring isn't useful for meat with this method as all are different sizes.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics