Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
DD keeps having accidents

amother
OP  

Post Sun, Jul 16 2023, 8:14 pm
from swimming! #2!!

She's 8. We went thru a stage at about 4 yrs old that she had random accidents but that's long since past.

I've been very strict about her sitting on the toilet for a good 10 min before we go swimming but it doesn't always help. And she doesn't always end up going then...

she tells me she can't do that at day camp anyway since the line to the bathroom is too long.

I don't know what to do! Any advice?!

paperflowers

Post Sun, Jul 16 2023, 8:17 pm
Can she get out of the pool after 5-10 minutes for a bathroom break?

amother
Tuberose

Post Sun, Jul 16 2023, 8:29 pm
If you said she started having accidents I would say test for strep right away. But it seems ur saying only during pool. Could it be a reaction to the chlorine? Does she haveto go after a bath the same way? Something doesn’t make sense

amother
Eggplant

Post Sun, Jul 16 2023, 8:48 pm
Is your daughter constipated?

My daughter used to have this, but when she was like 4/5yrs. She was also always a bit constipated, and my theory was that kicking her feet so much helped move things down her digestive tract. As we got her digestion under control she matured out of it.

amother
Ivory  

Post Sun, Jul 16 2023, 8:50 pm
She needs a clean out. And once she’s totally empty have her sit on the toilet every night for 20 minutes. This is typical of constipation.

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Jul 16 2023, 8:58 pm
Maybe she can use a different bathroom in camp, not right near the pool?
(I guess it’s not always possible depending on the camp and where the pool they use is etc… I remember as a girl in day camp I used to go change in a bathroom on a different floor a few minutes before we had to go to swimming so I’d be basically ready when we got to the pool area)

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Jul 16 2023, 11:45 pm
maybe it is constipation. I don't know. Today she went into our pool twice. once in the morning. she tried going before we went in but said she didn't need to. 5 minutes into swimming she ran inside and already got her bathing suit dirty!

Then later in the afternoon, before we went in again, she went to the bathroom and did her thing for a good 5 minutes. but when she came in after swimming I saw her bathing suit was a bit dirty.

It was really bad last week, then during the week in camp She didnt' have any problem and now today again!

I honestly don't know what to do!

amother
  Ivory

Post Sun, Jul 16 2023, 11:51 pm
Sitting in water loosens constipation. Do what I suggested above do a full clean out. Then get her on a good schedule. She needs to sit longer and at a non stressful time every day the same time. I’ve been there done that it’s the only way to fix it.

amother
Almond

Post Sun, Jul 16 2023, 11:56 pm
I would run it by the pediatrician. One of my kids used to have a condition called encopresis, which is basically a severe backup that leads to the colon not getting the appropriate signals. It’s medical, not behavioral, which is why no sticker chart in the world worked for us at the time.
I’m not saying that’s what’s going on with your daughter, but might be worth looking into.

amother
Brickred

Post Mon, Jul 17 2023, 12:24 am
Some of my children have this too. The pool causes loose stools and diarrhea. I assumed they accidentally swallowed water and are more sensitive to the chlorine and germs.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I should probably give them daily probiotics.

amother
  OP

Post Mon, Jul 17 2023, 9:40 pm
amother Ivory wrote:
Sitting in water loosens constipation. Do what I suggested above do a full clean out. Then get her on a good schedule. She needs to sit longer and at a non stressful time every day the same time. I’ve been there done that it’s the only way to fix it.

THank you!
we had her sit for 20 mintues this morning after breakfast. she went and then no issues when she swam this morn.
she said she also went after swim in camp.
then she came home and went again before she went into the pool afternoon.

no accidents today bh

I'm gonna have her try to do a full cleanout though...

amother
NeonYellow  

Post Mon, Jul 17 2023, 10:32 pm
My daughter is having similar issues. Any ideas how to get her to do a full clean out?

amother
Maize  

Post Mon, Jul 17 2023, 10:39 pm
Daily enema should help. Or you can try Miralax if you want to avoid the edema. But it doesn't work as well

amother
Daffodil  

Post Mon, Jul 17 2023, 10:41 pm
Hey OP, just wanted to send some empathy your way. We had this issue with my DS for a long time. So stressful! For him, for a while he would have accidents in the bath (and otherwise, but bath was often a trigger).

Like others have said it's likely constipation, even if she goes every day. Miralax and/or daily enemas are often recommended but what we found actually helped the most was pelvic floor physical therapy.

amother
  Maize  

Post Mon, Jul 17 2023, 10:43 pm
amother Daffodil wrote:
Hey OP, just wanted to send some empathy your way. We had this issue with my DS for a looking time. So stressful! For him, for a while he would have accidents in the bath (and otherwise, but bath was often a trigger).

Like others have said it's likely constipation, even if she goes every day. Miralax and/or daily enemas are often recommended but what we found actually helped the most was pelvic floor physical therapy.
really? where did you find a therapist?

amother
  Daffodil

Post Mon, Jul 17 2023, 11:07 pm
amother Maize wrote:
really? where did you find a therapist?

I actually called a practice I had gone to for pelvic floor PT myself! They did not see children, but they were able to give me recommendations for other practices that did.

amother
  Maize

Post Tue, Jul 18 2023, 4:37 pm
amother Daffodil wrote:
I actually called a practice I had gone to for pelvic floor PT myself! They did not see children, but they were able to give me recommendations for other practices that did.
Oh wow. I wonder if I should try it. Dd is having enuresis issues.

amother
  NeonYellow

Post Tue, Jul 18 2023, 7:36 pm
amother Maize wrote:
Daily enema should help. Or you can try Miralax if you want to avoid the edema. But it doesn't work as well

Thank you
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics