Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Sara schnenirer msw
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
  Mayflower  

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 7:38 pm
amother Celeste wrote:
They do and don't. A large chunk of the BA is seminary credit and some tests, but they do have real classes and work for all the basic things like English, writing, etc... I didn't do their BA, but it seems that it is definitely a better education than CLEPing your way to a BA with TTI.

There's no doubt that SS is a quickie BA. How many credits do you take in person there already - 24-40? That's a fraction of a regular college. Yes, seminary and CLEP type are the majority of the degree, which is exactly that - a quickie BA, which, ironically, they don't like for their MSW

amother
Caramel

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 8:01 pm
amother Lemonchiffon wrote:
Also, less than half is a real small percentage! That's how many applicants they have?

50% is actually a very large percentage when it comes to acceptance rates. The program I attended had an acceptance rate that was about half that.

amother
  Whitewash

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 8:02 pm
amother Caramel wrote:
50% is actually a very large percentage when it comes to acceptance rates. The program I attended had an acceptance rate that was about half that.

True. Did you attend a frum program?

amother
  Lemonchiffon  

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 8:31 pm
amother Caramel wrote:

In the secular world, yes. I thought with the frum programs the rate should be higher. There aren't so many women going into this field as there are in the world out there.

amother
Cognac  

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 9:27 pm
Hi I’m currently in their program.. I’m in my low 20’s. They put a big emphasis on being vulnerable and therefore I had an automatic acceptance. I was open about the hardships I have been through and how that has impacted my desire for social work.
They assume that most people are doing this to become a therapist but of course social work is very broad and there are many classes that address policy issues etc

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 9:35 pm
amother Cognac wrote:
Hi I’m currently in their program.. I’m in my low 20’s. They put a big emphasis on being vulnerable and therefore I had an automatic acceptance. I was open about the hardships I have been through and how that has impacted my desire for social work.
They assume that most people are doing this to become a therapist but of course social work is very broad and there are many classes that address policy issues etc

Can you describe the program more.. what the school work is like

amother
Currant  

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 9:39 pm
Are other programs not about being vulnerable?

amother
  Cognac

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 9:41 pm
From BA to Masters 27 months.
The professsors are top in the field. Brilliant and they have a lot of insight. The work is a lot of research and writing. Not so much studying (except the first 60 credits which you take on your own, or less if u already have Sem credits)
The workload is a lot and intense . But it’s doable . There are ppl in my class from 19-55 in all stages of life.
Honestly, over the course of the semesters some individuals were told they would do better elsewhere. Like I said they place a strong emphasis on being vulnerable and not everyone is there. It’s controversial. Like honestly the students don’t owe the school an explanation. But I think it’s possibly because they may have been burnt in the past by students who started interning and lacked emotional maturity and depth… so they weed them out.

I went off on a tangent there.
The work is enjoyable. Again lots of research and writing. There is a writing center that you can schedule with for free to help you. The school also helps with internships and sometimes supervision. There is a lot of support and your cohort becomes tight.
If you have any other specific questions feel free to reach out again

amother
  Lemonchiffon  

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 9:47 pm
amother Cognac wrote:
The professsors are top in the field. Brilliant and they have a lot of insight. The work is a lot of research and writing. Not so much studying (except the first 60 credits which you take on your own, or less if u already have Sem credits)
The workload is a lot and intense . But it’s doable . There are ppl in my class from 19-55 in all stages of life.
Honestly, over the course of the semesters some individuals were told they would do better elsewhere. Like I said they place a strong emphasis on being vulnerable and not everyone is there. It’s controversial. Like honestly the students don’t owe the school an explanation. But I think it’s possibly because they may have been burnt in the past by students who started interning and lacked emotional maturity and depth… so they weed them out.

The work is enjoyable. Again lots of research and writing. There is a writing center that you can schedule with for free to help you. The school also helps with internships and sometimes supervision. There is a lot of support and your cohort becomes tight.

Are you doing the BA and Master at once?
What do you mean by "some individuals were told they would do better elsewhere"? They kick people out in the middle of the program?

amother
  Celeste  

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 10:17 pm
amother Cognac wrote:

Around how many hours a week do you spend on schoolwork in addition to classroom hours? Wondering if this at all doable with a family.

amother
Blonde  

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 10:39 pm
I'm also a student. Masters only.
I love the program, love the professors. Each one has something different to offer, but they are all practicing clinicians with real-life clinical experience, not career professors. The classes are interesting and thought-provoking.
Some assignments require vulnerability, or at least exploration of personal experiences. I think that's a good thing. How can anyone be a good therapist if they don't know themselves well, understand their own background, their triggers and biases. A therapist brings herself to the room and this knowledge is crucial. No one is pushy or forcing anyone to share. You share what you want whether in class or assignments, but self-reflection is certainly encouraged.
The work is hard but doable. No memorization really, but rather research, critical thinking, and such.
I'd highly recommend their program.

amother
  Blonde  

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 10:42 pm
amother Celeste wrote:
Around how many hours a week do you spend on schoolwork in addition to classroom hours? Wondering if this at all doable with a family.

It's certainly doable but you need to be focused and ambitious. You will work hard. Your family should also be supportive and on board, so they understand if you cut corners around mid-terms or finals or just need a breather some days.

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 10:58 pm
Can anyone share what they are like in terms of being flexible, doing part time

amother
  Blonde  

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 11:12 pm
amother OP wrote:
Can anyone share what they are like in terms of being flexible, doing part time

Yes, it's an option. If you want a lighter load at some point, you can take fewer classes. You would then need to stay for another semester to make up the missed classes.

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 8:49 am
amother Currant wrote:
Are other programs not about being vulnerable?

Maybe therapy isn’t for you.

amother
  Crystal  

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 8:59 am
amother Blonde wrote:
I'm also a student. Masters only.
I love the program, love the professors. Each one has something different to offer, but they are all practicing clinicians with real-life clinical experience, not career professors. The classes are interesting and thought-provoking.
Some assignments require vulnerability, or at least exploration of personal experiences. I think that's a good thing. How can anyone be a good therapist if they don't know themselves well, understand their own background, their triggers and biases. A therapist brings herself to the room and this knowledge is crucial. No one is pushy or forcing anyone to share. You share what you want whether in class or assignments, but self-reflection is certainly encouraged.
The work is hard but doable. No memorization really, but rather research, critical thinking, and such.
I'd highly recommend their program.

How about if they know themselves well, are emotionally deep and mature, but don't care to share their personal life experiences with the person interviewing them? A therapist has to know her boundaries, and my daughter felt a distinct lack of that with the SS interview process.

My daughter found the bolded to be an absolute lie and a violation of personal privacy. The interviewer most definitely was pushy, and she was very turned off by that.

amother
Blueberry  

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 9:33 am
Where I work I can see the huge difference in the quality of the employee between the “quick” degrees and the ones who take the longer process. There is a difference in the Quality of the social worker/therapist, ability to write decent notes etc as well as some softer traits. Basic spelling, grammar, and writing ability are needed. Those who went for the quick programs in my workplace are the ones who can’t cope working during Nissan or Tishrei. They just use the YT excuse. Sorry, but we not only have a contract to do specific work a certain number of times a week for our clients (not school based) but also a responsibility to our clients to give them their full services. The ones who went to the state school or private not Frum program managed to juggle life plus work. And they are just as Frum. The Frum program graduates fell apart when told they have to work the day after YT. Or they “have to make challah then”. Somehow those who graduated from typical programs didn’t give those excuses.
We hire a lot of Frum social workers and therapists so this isn’t about one or two staff members. We notice and we don’t want to hire graduates from programs like Bulka, SS…
Just my two cents…

ssspectacular  

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 10:08 am
amother Blueberry wrote:
Where I work I can see the huge difference in the quality of the employee between the “quick” degrees and the ones who take the longer process. There is a difference in the Quality of the social worker/therapist, ability to write decent notes etc as well as some softer traits. Basic spelling, grammar, and writing ability are needed. Those who went for the quick programs in my workplace are the ones who can’t cope working during Nissan or Tishrei. They just use the YT excuse. Sorry, but we not only have a contract to do specific work a certain number of times a week for our clients (not school based) but also a responsibility to our clients to give them their full services. The ones who went to the state school or private not Frum program managed to juggle life plus work. And they are just as Frum. The Frum program graduates fell apart when told they have to work the day after YT. Or they “have to make challah then”. Somehow those who graduated from typical programs didn’t give those excuses.
We hire a lot of Frum social workers and therapists so this isn’t about one or two staff members. We notice and we don’t want to hire graduates from programs like Bulka, SS…
Just my two cents…

Blueberry, can I PM you with a question? I am in grad school in a regular counseling program .

amother
  Lemonchiffon  

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 10:52 am
amother Blueberry wrote:
Just my two cents…

The reason I, and I assume many others, are looking for a frum program, isn't about the calendar and easier work. I want a frum program because of the hashkafa part. I am fully in to working hard and doing it the best way possible. I know that for me to take a social work degree in a secular school is a no no, so my only option is a frum program.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 11:09 am
Same. Is there any other real frum program? I didn’t really get that impression from touro or tti. Maybe I am mistaken though.
Page 3 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics