Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Sara schnenirer msw
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Seagreen  

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 8:12 am
Can u give me an example of an assignment?

amother
  Celeste  

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 8:44 am
amother Blueberry wrote:
Where I work I can see the huge difference in the quality of the employee between the “quick” degrees and the ones who take the longer process. There is a difference in the Quality of the social worker/therapist, ability to write decent notes etc as well as some softer traits. Basic spelling, grammar, and writing ability are needed. Those who went for the quick programs in my workplace are the ones who can’t cope working during Nissan or Tishrei. They just use the YT excuse. Sorry, but we not only have a contract to do specific work a certain number of times a week for our clients (not school based) but also a responsibility to our clients to give them their full services. The ones who went to the state school or private not Frum program managed to juggle life plus work. And they are just as Frum. The Frum program graduates fell apart when told they have to work the day after YT. Or they “have to make challah then”. Somehow those who graduated from typical programs didn’t give those excuses.
We hire a lot of Frum social workers and therapists so this isn’t about one or two staff members. We notice and we don’t want to hire graduates from programs like Bulka, SS…
Just my two cents…

Jewish college programs aren't offering shortcut Masters programs. Its the Bachelors that are quick degrees as they are seen to be something to just get over with so you can get into a Masters program. All the Jewish programs that I know about for MSW have the same requirements as every other masters. You need to take the full 60 credits in class and do all your homework and fieldwork. If they are faster than any other program, it would just be because they offer you the chance to take more credits per semester.

Whether you believe in doing a bachelors the real way or not, I find it hard to believe that you see a difference in the quality of a Social Worker because she used seminary credits towards her BA.

amother
  Lemonchiffon  

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 8:59 am
amother OP wrote:
Same. Is there any other real frum program? I didn’t really get that impression from touro or tti. Maybe I am mistaken though.

Reb Bulka's program.
Sipuk clinic just started one with LIU.

amother
  Mayflower

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 10:38 am
amother Lemonchiffon wrote:
The reason I, and I assume many others, are looking for a frum program, isn't about the calendar and easier work. I want a frum program because of the hashkafa part. I am fully in to working hard and doing it the best way possible. I know that for me to take a social work degree in a secular school is a no no, so my only option is a frum program.

Imo, it's for both, hashkafah and the Jewish calendar. If an 18-19y old doesn't want to be thrown into a regular college environment begging and fighting for Yom tov days off, winter Fridays off, etc, doesn't mean she won't be a good employee doing what she needs to later on.

coloredleaves  

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 10:53 am
Anyone have more info or personal experience about bulkas program or Touros or any other masters level frum leading to a license? How doable with kids, what program is like , etc???

amother
Orchid  

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 11:08 am
I am in Touro Mental Health Counseling Program. Ask away.

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 11:31 am
Is this the worldwide online? I'm looking forward classes I can take in israel if I'm there some of the time.

amother
  Orchid  

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 11:33 am
amother Pearl wrote:
Is this the worldwide online? I'm looking forward classes I can take in israel if I'm there some of the time.

Do you have BA or BS already?

amother
  Blueberry  

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 11:38 am
ssspectacular wrote:
Blueberry, can I PM you with a question? I am in grad school in a regular counseling program .

Sorry but I don't want to share my sn in relationship to where I work as my role is kind of unique in the frum world- I dont know many other frum women who have my job. Do you feel comfortable sharing on here?

ssspectacular

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 11:42 am
amother Blueberry wrote:
Sorry but I don't want to share my sn in relationship to where I work as my role is kind of unique in the frum world- I dont know many other frum women who have my job. Do you feel comfortable sharing on here?

ok Thanks anyway

amother
  Blueberry

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 11:42 am
The reason I, and I assume many others, are looking for a frum program, isn't about the calendar and easier work. I want a frum program because of the hashkafa part. I am fully in to working hard and doing it the best way possible. I know that for me to take a social work degree in a secular school is a no no, so my only option is a frum program.

Unfortunately in this field you see things and have to deal with things that aren't in perfect little boxes or that match your hashkafa. I have frum clients who are dealing with heavy stuff and a frum program can't necessarily prepare someone for it. I also have non Jewish and not frum ones.
But either way, many graduates from frum programs come out with this idea of the world catering to their calendar or Yiddishkeit needs. In the real world you still need to work when YT comes around.

coloredleaves

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 12:18 pm
I have a BA and am looking for a masters program allowing for eventual Clinical practice

amother
  Blonde

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 12:51 pm
amother Blueberry wrote:
Unfortunately in this field you see things and have to deal with things that aren't in perfect little boxes or that match your hashkafa. I have frum clients who are dealing with heavy stuff and a frum program can't necessarily prepare someone for it. I also have non Jewish and not frum ones.
But either way, many graduates from frum programs come out with this idea of the world catering to their calendar or Yiddishkeit needs. In the real world you still need to work when YT comes around.

For me, the advantages of a frum program meant that I didn't have to worry about a midterm or final falling on Erev Pesach or some other time like that. Not all students have internships in Jewish clinics, so many of us still have to navigate our clinic hours around the real world calendar. Some students insist on Jewish placements but many specifically want broader experiences, and we are assisted in finding the type of internship we want.

amother
Bronze  

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 12:56 pm
amother Blueberry wrote:

Not a social worker

Just chiming on why people would want to go to a frum program for Hashkafic reasons doesn't always mean they are not willing to tackle tough issues.
My really good friend went to Hunter because she thought she would get a better, more well rounded education.
She said that her peers who did SS, Touro, Wurzweiler, Bulka where much better prepared to actually do therapy, and that Hunter was very focused on issues like racism and LGBTQ rights and other things that while she may meet them in her work as a frum clinican, she felt a few courses focused on these issues would have been sufficient, rather then the focus of all the courses being these issues.

She ended up doing the Neve family institute post- master program (in Israel) so that she could learn how to actually do therapeutic work. And she has been doing a lot of continued education while she works at a clinic and because she felt behind her co-workers from frum programs.

Again, if someone was planning on working as a social worker in the secular world her Hunter education may be more relevant then the SS program, but since her goal was therapy in the frum world she felt like it was a waste of time.

amother
  Lemonchiffon  

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 1:28 pm
I did a lot of research. From what I understand from people in the field, it is more the experience, the training, and supervision in the internship or job, than the college. Of course, the college makes a big difference, but it all comes to play when it's done hands-on, where one is to get more understanding in the field.

Regarding doing a frum program, I don't think anything can be cut out of the coursework. Unfortunately, all issues could be found in our community as well, and therapists should be trained for everything. I believe that everything gets covered in the frum program, it is more the way it's being taught, and the language used.

cnc

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 2:05 pm
Bulka used to be in conjunction with LIU.
LIU now joined with Sipuk and Bulka partnered with a different college. It’s a new program, so I don’t think anyone can give accurate feedback yet .

amother
Firethorn

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 4:22 pm
amother Blueberry wrote:
So can you tell us what you do and how you got there? 😀

amother
  Celeste  

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 8:23 am
I did a lot of research. From what I understand from people in the field, it is more the experience, the training, and supervision in the internship or job, than the college. Of course, the college makes a big difference, but it all comes to play when it's done hands-on, where one is to get more understanding in the field.

Regarding doing a frum program, I don't think anything can be cut out of the coursework. Unfortunately, all issues could be found in our community as well, and therapists should be trained for everything. I believe that everything gets covered in the frum program, it is more the way it's being taught, and the language used.

The bolded. As colleges become more and more liberal and "woke", they teach more and more of an agenda based curriculum. It becomes about convincing you that their lifestyles are good and proper and less about teaching you good clinical skills. Besides for the calendar and the classmates, its the focus on actually education you about the profession as opposed to a culture class that sets the frum programs apart.

amother
  Currant  

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 8:55 am
amother Plum wrote:
Maybe therapy isn’t for you.

Why are you saying that? I was asking bec I assumed all programs require vulnerability. I am curious what makes this one stand out

amother
  Crystal

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 9:03 am
amother Currant wrote:
Why are you saying that? I was asking bec I assumed all programs require vulnerability. I am curious what makes this one stand out

They don't. My sister got her MSW thru Rutgers and told me it's not like that at all.
Page 4 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics