19%  [ 25 ]
No, my kids bed is usually not made  
 55%  [ 71 ]
Total Votes : 128

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 6:08 pm
Are your kids beds usually made?

Who makes it, kid, you or cleaning help?

If its the kid, at what age did it start?

amother
Blue  

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 6:09 pm
They start the first night they sleep in a bed, with my help. They do it on their own by age 3.5-4. It’s pretty perfect by age 4.5-5.

ETA- I’m a quasi-Montessori mom

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 6:13 pm
No they don't. Then again, I don't make my bed either. It's just not something we feel really matters, so none of us do it.

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 6:16 pm
They all make their own bed from 3-4 years old and on.

amother
White

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 6:21 pm
They say unmade beds collect less dust allergen, so I don't care if they make them or not. Sometimes, some do.

amother
  Blue  

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 6:22 pm
amother [ White ] wrote:
They say unmade beds collect less dust allergen, so I don't care if they make them or not. Sometimes, some do.

None of my kids’ beds collect dust because everyone has dust-mite mattress covers and pillow cases!

amother
Rose

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 6:26 pm
I am not a bed maker. Sad
My most mesudar child, son age11, has been consistently making his bed the past two years or so.
My9 yo daughter makes her bed when she keeps her room clean, which is about 2 months on, 4 months off...

silverlining3  

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 6:27 pm
My kids usually make their bed bh. I'd say it started at age 4-5. 1st they had kiddie blankets so it was easier. Then when I got them regular blankets they knew the concept of how, was just a matter of time until they managed the bigger size-I helped them at 1st.

ETA-No, they don't always make it. Sometimes I need to remind them and other times not.

Last edited by silverlining3 on Sun, Mar 07 2021, 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 6:33 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
No they don't. Then again, I don't make my bed either. It's just not something we feel really matters, so none of us do it.

Hello, kindred spirit Hi

Sometimes we have the kids make their beds before my MIL comes over, because she likes that. Otherwise no.

amother
Khaki  

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 6:53 pm
Add me to the non- bed- makers. I don't see the point. I can't sleep in a made bed- the covers are too straight, and I pull them out and bunch them up. If I hang out on my bed at all, I want to cuddle with covers, not sit on them. So I don't bother. My kids don't either, except sometimes my older girls if they're having friends over and will sit on the bed.

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 7:29 pm
DH and I make our beds religiously. I have kids 6-9 and I have never made them make their beds.
At this point they need to be out of the house by 8, I am exhausted and frazzled with that timeline as it is and never insisted on it.
When they were younger and had more time in the morning I was even more of an overwhelmed exhausted mom. I made my bed bec it mattered to me but their bed-making was bottom of the list.

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 7:32 pm
I grew up never making my bed. Dh grew up always making his bed. I never make mine. DH always makes his.

I don't think it is fair for me to make my kids do something I don't do myself. And personally, I don't care about it. If dh wants to enforce it, he can go right ahead. But he doesn't. Very Happy

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 8:03 pm
A tidy house is important to me. My kids like things nice too. If I don’t have time to make it I will ask them to please make their rooms nice and they go do it. All boys!

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 8:06 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
I grew up never making my bed. Dh grew up always making his bed. I never make mine. DH always makes his.

I don't think it is fair for me to make my kids do something I don't do myself. And personally, I don't care about it. If dh wants to enforce it, he can go right ahead. But he doesn't. Very Happy

same here.. DH makes my bed too Laugh

amother
Blonde  

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 8:29 pm
I can not handle the messy look of unmade beds. It makes the room look untidy. Sometimes my kids do it themselves and sometimes I do it, depending on their mood and if they have time.

amother
  Khaki  

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 9:39 pm
For people who make their beds as soon as they get up, when do the beds air out?

amother
Honeydew  

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 9:44 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
For people who make their beds as soon as they get up, when do the beds air out?

Never--except when the linens are changed? LOL But they're not thinking about that. They can't bear the messy appearance of an unmade bed.

amother
  Blonde  

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 9:45 pm
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
Never--except when the linens are changed? LOL But they're not thinking about that. They can't bear the messy appearance of an unmade bed.

How does a crumpled blanket and unmade bed air out?
I cannot believe that people think it's normal not to make beds & laughing at those that do. It's part of basic housekeeping.

amother
  Honeydew

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 9:55 pm
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
I cannot believe that people think it's normal not to make beds & laughing at those that do. It's part of basic housekeeping.

What's crumpling got to do with anything?

Science tells us that making your bed first thing in the morning traps dust mites in your bed, giving them a nice breeding ground and making your bed steadily grosser. There are valid reasons to make and not to make.

amother
  Khaki

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 9:58 pm
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:

I'm not laughing at it. I'm curious. Most people I know wait a bit and then make them. I don't make mine, but the blankets are off to the side and let the sheet air out. And it's normal not to make beds, and also normal to make them. Not everyone has the same sensibilities, and bedrooms tend to be private.

Like I said, my girls tend to make them when they have company over. When I lived in a dorm, I made mine right before I left the room, out of respect for my roommates and because it was my/our living space. Now, no need. If dh really cared, and actually spent time in the room, I guess I'd need to. I'm glad neither are true.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children