1  2  3  4  Next

Do your kids go to school on Sunday?
Yes, of course, both my boys and girls go on Sunday  
 15%  [ 8 ]
Yes, but only my boys go on Sunday  
 43%  [ 22 ]
Yes, but only my girls go on Sunday  
 0%  [ 0 ]
No, my kids don't go to school on Sunday - gasp!  
 41%  [ 21 ]
Total Votes : 51

Mimisinger  

Post Wed, Feb 13 2008, 8:53 pm
The title says it all - do your kids go to school on Sunday?

Also, if you can, write what kind of school your kids go to - Modox, Chassidish, Yeshivish, Lubavitch, etc. and what age your kids are.

The reason is, we're finding all of the schools that we're looking at (for the future) in terms of where to live, all have school on Sunday. We're of the camp that kids should have a day off to relax. But, haskafically, all the schools that are good for us, have half day school on Sunday.

What do you think and what have you experienced?

Imaonwheels  

Post Wed, Feb 13 2008, 10:19 pm
Yes. baruch HaShem my kids are in school on Sundays. Lubavitch. The last thing kids need is another day home. If the parents have to have the kids home for a reason then they can take them out as a one time deal. It is better that they are in school. Seven kids, not one who needed more free time (very different kids). School is their major social structure. Younger kids come home earlier, that is enough.

JewishMother18  

Post Wed, Feb 13 2008, 11:01 pm
I don't know where you are located but in Israel I think all kids go to school on Sunday - am I missing something?

The fourth choice of your poll "No, my kids don't go to school on Sunday - gasp!" disturbs me. I would expect this choice to be on a religious non-Jewish forum, not on a Jewish one.

My kids learn in school from Sunday thru Friday although my oldest son's yeshiva (Bnei Akiva) does not learn on Friday.

miriamnechama

Post Thu, Feb 14 2008, 12:39 am
in israel sunday is a regular school day for boys and girsl.

in england I nevr went to school in sunday.. girls were off, onky chasidishe chadari learnt sunday and I remember my brothers being off too...

JewishMother18  

Post Thu, Feb 14 2008, 12:42 am
I remember both boys and girls going to cheder on Sunday morning when I was growing up - I used to hate being dragged out of bed on Sunday morning to go there LOL

Raisin

Post Thu, Feb 14 2008, 1:26 am
Only my brothers had school on sunday morning. That still left sunday afternoon to take family trips together.

mamacita

Post Thu, Feb 14 2008, 1:36 am
Another Israeli here to throw the poll off! Smile Sunday is our Monday here, but harder because you're trying to switch into weekday mode right after shabbos. Smile DH works and dd goes to gan.

Ruchel  

Post Thu, Feb 14 2008, 3:43 am
Well France will be bashed again, but no school is opened on Sunday, bh. Not public, not MO, not Orthodox, not ultra Orthodox .
Schools that deliver a state degree have to close because it's the week end for the teachers. But even schools not under contract (with few or no chol), I never heard of that b'h.

Some family time is needed, and it's not on shabes that we can really go out with the kids, right?

My dh says in his country it's the same.

justanothermother

Post Thu, Feb 14 2008, 3:51 am
I threw off your poll results. My kids don't go to school on Sunday, but DS is only 5.

Starting in 2nd grade boys have a half day Sunday morning. This is an out of town Yeshivish school.

Newsie  

Post Thu, Feb 14 2008, 3:54 am
My kids have school on Sunday. (We're in Israel) Growing up, I never did, but my brothers also had "mishmar" on sunday mornings. I love that my kids are out of the house on sunday and I have worked out my schedule that I never have to work out of the house on sunday. On the other hand, we are never able to do "family fun trips" on sundays, because it's a regular work day (for dh) and regular school day (for kids) The only time that's possible is chol hamoed when everything is packed and usually we have a lot of family obligations then. I do miss some aspect of sundays, but my kids would probably be bored if they weren't in gan.

Mimisinger  

Post Thu, Feb 14 2008, 4:02 am
Jewish Mother wrote:

The fourth choice of your poll "No, my kids don't go to school on Sunday - gasp!" disturbs me. I would expect this choice to be on a religious non-Jewish forum, not on a Jewish one.

Why does this "disturb" you? Why would this have to be on a non-jewish forum. That doesn't make sense. I didn't say, gasp! they have to be in church!!! Rolling Eyes

WHat having kids in school means is never having a full day family outing unless on vacation. What it means is never going away for shabbos unless you're coming home motzi shabbos which doesn't always work, esp. when it's late, or if you want to do site seeing a bit on Sunday.

Please DON'T be ridiculous. We're frum , not ch'v non-Jews, we just want time with our children (iy"h as we only have one toddler Smile)

Mimisinger  

Post Thu, Feb 14 2008, 4:03 am
Oh and I'm in NY, not Israel

shalhevet  

Post Thu, Feb 14 2008, 4:13 am
I also live in Israel, and I think Sunday as a regular day is great. Growing up in England we often just wasted Sundays, or were bored. Why shouldn't our children learn on a Sunday? Yes, of course it's a non-Jewish idea to have a day to 'waste'.

There are holidays during the year for family days out, and that's enough. And, except for the older boys, the children all have time most afternoons for free play, reading etc. (The older girls sometimes have exams or lots of homework, but that is only temporary).

Ruchel  

Post Thu, Feb 14 2008, 4:24 am
School here stops at 4 am, sometimes later. And there is homework. As a kid I LOVED Sunday, THE day of the week to go out and have fun as a family. When you're in public school it's annoying because you also have homework to do on Sunday, but in Jewish school they often not give too many things so the kid can enjoy family time on Sunday.

Mitzvahmom  

Post Thu, Feb 14 2008, 4:30 am
In connecticut my kids do not have school on sunday

It's one of the reasons they don ot want to move, they do not want to start sunday school..lol

mummy-bh  

Post Thu, Feb 14 2008, 4:37 am
Quote:
School here stops at 4 am

Wow! They do make the kids work hard in France!

(Sorry! -couldn't resist Twisted Evil )

I'm in England. The charedi schools round here all have school on Sunday. Why not? My boys (Lubavitch) have mornings only from 1st grade until age 10 (I think, I'm not up to that stage yet!) and from then on a whole afternoon as well. My girls, for some totally inexplicable reason, do not have school. I don't know why, but I wish they did. All the other girls' schools do.
Hmmmm. Time to start a petition! Idea

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Feb 14 2008, 4:38 am
growing up we went to sunday school only in junior high (grade 6 - 8) both girls and boys.

I live in israel and as many women have already said, sunday is our monday. it is VERY hard to switch from the shabbat mode to "ok, what are we making for lunch tommorow" that kind of thing.
I would love it if there was no work on sunday, but I would never want to give up my fridays of no work. that is a great day for shabbat preparation:)

amother  

Post Thu, Feb 14 2008, 4:47 am
Sunday is their day to do all sorts of things. Go to museums, theater or concerts with us, go hiking, relax and dream, do creative writing, have playdates where they can do whatever they want, visit other parts of the city, do arts and crafts, bake, visit people...the list could go on and on.

Without completely unstructured time in my childhood I would have missed out on so much, and I don't want my kids to miss out on the time they need to relax, explore and discover things to enjoy and experience.

Mimisinger  

Post Thu, Feb 14 2008, 5:13 am
shalhevet wrote:
I also live in Israel, and I think Sunday as a regular day is great. Growing up in England we often just wasted Sundays, or were bored. Why shouldn't our children learn on a Sunday? Yes, of course it's a non-Jewish idea to have a day to 'waste'.

There are holidays during the year for family days out, and that's enough. And, except for the older boys, the children all have time most afternoons for free play, reading etc. (The older girls sometimes have exams or lots of homework, but that is only temporary).

I just LOVE how if someone doesn't agree with you or doesn't understand something, it becomes a "non-Jewish idea" Rolling Eyes. And, just because you think it's enough to have a half-day for family time, doesn't mean everyone does! Also, schools around me end around 4 or 5 - there isn't much time to relax or have family time if there's homework, dinner, bath time, etc.

Amother, why wouldn't you post with your name? You have good ideals.

So many people on this thread say that they're glad that their children are in school all week. Why doesn't anyone want to spend time with their children What ?

Anyone ever hear of museums, parks, etc.? How sad.

Mitzvah Mom - what kind of school do your kids go to? We're prob. not moving to Conn. but it would still be nice to know.

Marion

Post Thu, Feb 14 2008, 5:15 am
shalhevet wrote:

There are holidays during the year for family days out, and that's enough. .

Um, just because school is closed doesn't mean that the parents are off work. That 3 week break in the summer (from daycare) is a NIGHTMARE in my house, as I scramble to find someone to look after the kids...I can't just take 3 weeks off. Yeah, I'm off chol hamoed, but so's the rest of the country and I don't want to fight the crowds. Our "family days out" are when my older son has a tipat chalav appointment; then I just take the whole day off and spend some time with him.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics