Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Learning script (English)
Previous  1  2  3

Is there a value to learning English script?
Yes  
 61%  [ 71 ]
No  
 38%  [ 44 ]
Total Votes : 115

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 4:10 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
It's not that I didn't train - no one did it. When we you born? I'm in my early twenties. Writing script was just something we learned how to do for no use - like geometry.

As a geometry teacher, I take great offense at your statement.

Wink

amother
  Burgundy

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 4:47 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
Well, I suppose if nobody in the whole class masters script, the teacher will have to adapt and speak slower or repeat, so you will not notice that you are slow when writing print...

I need fast note-taking, and use script caracters with a fountain pen... that's what works quickest...

I could also type as fast...

I mean, maybe all teachers have gotten used to speaking slowly over the past decades, but also maybe you are fastest with cursive because that’s what you are most practiced at. It’s good you have a system for note taking that works well for you. It doesn’t mean that everyone who has a different system is inherently worse and relies on those around them to slow down and repeat themselves.

Also, in most cases, it’s not necessary to write down the teacher verbatim (in fact, this would make your notes too verbose to be useful). Prioritizing what to write down and how to summarize effectively is also an important part of learning to take notes.

bigsis144

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 5:02 pm
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
As a geometry teacher, I take great offense at your statement.

Wink

Saying “we learned geometry for no reason” is like saying “we played basketball in gym for no reason - none of us are gonna make it to the WNBA”.
And even if you aren’t aiming to be a professional basketball player - when in real life do you need to dribble a ball or run around a lot? Such useless skills, ugh 😉

Exercising your brain is exercising your brain, even if you “never use it in real life”.

(Former math teacher here)

seeker

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 5:14 pm
Personally I think taking notes in script is silly because it's harder to read it back - even if your script is beautiful and you read easily, print does better for at-a-glance note reading. I don't think taking notes in print slows anyone down. Someone who writes quickly can write quickly in either and someone who writes slowly can write slowly in either. I can switch pretty easily but even though my handwriting is great, it's a pain in the neck to read the script. For a letter it's fancy, but for notes I want simple and crystal clear.

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 5:43 pm
Latest research says yes, there is. That's why cursive in schools is starting to make a comeback. There have been lots of educational articles published about this in the last year or two.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 7:41 pm
My girls are not learning it in school and at first I was upset but if it's something that nobody else is learning then I guess it's not really considered useful.
I still would have wanted for them to learn it.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 1:07 am
bigsis144 wrote:

Exercising your brain is exercising your brain, even if you “never use it in real life”.

Are you referring to a person's brain, or their math skills?

If it's the former, that's a fabulous low-key insult! LOL

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 1:17 am
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
Well, I suppose if nobody in the whole class masters script, the teacher will have to adapt and speak slower or repeat, so you will not notice that you are slow when writing print...

I need fast note-taking, and use script caracters with a fountain pen... that's what works quickest...

I could also type as fast...

Nobody has been writing script for a good 15 years.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 9:33 am
I'm shocked and flabbergasted! Grew up in Europe and am in my fourties. Of course we learned script in school and it's what I use for any amount of handwriting. Taking notes during professional courses and meetings, shopping lists, private notes... it's much faster than non-cursive writing or typing on a keyboard! But maybe I'm just a dinosaur.

amother
  OP

Post Tue, Oct 27 2020, 4:40 pm
Thank you everyone for your thoughtful responses. What an interesting array of opinions.

invisiblecircus

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 2:44 am
I think it's important.

A question for people who do not write in cursive or whose kids are not learning it, do you write in capitals or lower case?

I find capital less clear to read.

At my kids' school (and in this country in general) they are initially taught to write in capitals and then in cursive. It seems so illogical to me. I went to school in the UK and we were taught to write in lower case, forming the letters in a way that it would be easy to learn to join them later, and then we simply joined them. It isn't the same style of cursive that my children are learning, but it's easy to learn, fast to write and clear to read.

amother
  Mistyrose

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 3:29 am
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
I'm shocked and flabbergasted! Grew up in Europe and am in my fourties. Of course we learned script in school and it's what I use for any amount of handwriting. Taking notes during professional courses and meetings, shopping lists, private notes... it's much faster than non-cursive writing or typing on a keyboard! But maybe I'm just a dinosaur.

Being faster is a matter of what you're used to. I can type far faster than I can write, even in script, with the bonus of it actually being legible

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 4:35 am
mamma llama wrote:
I think cursive is very important. Imagine not being able to sign for a package because you don't know how to write a signature...

Honest question, do you really need to write your name in cursive to sign for a package?
I just make some sort of scribble that resembles my name and that's it. I officially learned cursive but I still write it at a 3rd grade level and I literally can't think of a single use for it.

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 4:45 am
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
Yes, of course.

You do understand that in order to learn spelling, you have to write?
And mostly, when children learn spelling, they write with ink on paper, not on a computer?

And if they already have to write enough on a paper to learn spelling, it is more comfortable to do so in cursive/script rather than print?

Because that's whole point of script: that it's more comfortable to write.

So when a mother tells me that a child in 3rd grade does not know more than a few letters in script, it implies for me that they don't do a lot of writing, so the question about spelling comes up immediately!

Nope. I find many of my students write faster in print, they hate cursive. And I write faster in print. However we do continue teaching it until grade 5. It is important for motor skills and eye hand coordination. there is a very serious LA program with a lot of writing in our school.

watergirl  

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 5:24 am
LovesHashem wrote:
Print? I've never met anyone who takes notes in cursive. No one in middle school did. No one in high school did. No one in seminary did. I would of noticed - cuz that's super random, strange, and kinda cool.

Hi, meet me. Cursive is my go to when I need to write quickly. That means at age 33-35 when I back was in college and the professor was talking quickly, I took notes in cursive to keep up. And at work when my boss is giving directions for a project and speaking a mile a minute, its cursive on my note pad again. Or at a meeting at my kids school with the teachers, again back to cursive. It is literally the only way to keep up without asking them to go slower.

Its an important skill.

watergirl

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 5:37 am
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
Nope. I find many of my students write faster in print, they hate cursive. And I write faster in print. However we do continue teaching it until grade 5. It is important for motor skills and eye hand coordination. there is a very serious LA program with a lot of writing in our school.

Its a matter of skill and practice. As they get older, cursive will be much faster than print.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette