Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Learning script (English)
1  2  3  Next

Is there a value to learning English script?
Yes  
 61%  [ 71 ]
No  
 38%  [ 44 ]
Total Votes : 115

amother
OP  

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 2:46 am
DS is in a school with a weak general studies curriculum. Third grade came and went and he can write a letter or two in script (cursive).
Is this a lost art? Should I teach him how to sign his name and let it go? Is there any value in learning how to read or write script?

Edited to clarify that some refer to it as "cursive".

amother
Jade  

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 2:52 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
DS is in a school with a weak general studies curriculum. Third grade came and went and he can write a letter or two in script.
Is this a lost art? Should I teach him how to sign his name and let it go? Is there any value in learning how to read or write script?

Yes, absolutely, he should know how to write in English.

If they never get to write in English in school, how does he learn orthography? that's even more important, that's an essential skill if he wants to work in an english-speaking country...otherwise, he will be considered illiterate!!!!

If he writes enoug to learn proper orthography, it is more comfortable for him to write in cursive...

llolly

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 2:55 am
Following. Was wondering the same.
Also wondering wether they need to be able to read it.
At first in quarantine I was trying to make DS practice writing script, then I decided its a skill he doesn't need/won't use. So I had him read script instead.

salt

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 2:57 am
Why would it not be necessary? Because everything is typed nowadays?

WitchKitty  

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 3:01 am
Writing is not really needed at all. Reading yes, although slowly this skill is needed less.
I don't know how to write script. I can read a bit. It's really annoying when someone writes me a note in script and I can only understand half.
But I never actually needed to write cursive.

amother
  Jade  

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 3:13 am
WitchKitty wrote:
Writing is not really needed at all.

What? I don't agree... How do you communicate here on Imamother?
You cannot let your child grow up being an illiterate in the main language of his country! That'sirresponsibel in my view!

Illiterates are very limited in the range of occupations they can take...
Imagine the shame they suffer when someone asks them to write something down and they can't?

I remember this Lady I met in a night train, that was going to cross the border during the night, and all passengers were required to fill in a form for the border police... she asked me to fill it out for her, because she had "forgotten her glasses"...

Quote:
Reading yes, although slowly this skill is needed less.
I don't know how to write script. I can read a bit. It's really annoying when someone writes me a note in script and I can only understand half.
But I never actually needed to write cursive.

But in Ivrit, you write cursive?

LovesHashem  

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 3:26 am
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
Yes, absolutely, he should know how to write in English.

If they never get to write in English in school, how does he learn orthography? that's even more important, that's an essential skill if he wants to work in an english-speaking country...otherwise, he will be considered illiterate!!!!

If he writes enoug to learn proper orthography, it is more comfortable for him to write in cursive...

You do know this thread is about cursive/script. Not english print.

Cursive/Script is a type of writing in english that uses different forms of the letters than standard english writing.

The words you are reading right now aren't in cursive/script and kids learn how to write, spell and read them. Most schools don't teach cursive anymore.

amother
Mistyrose  

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 3:35 am
I've taught in multiple schools with strong English and cursive is no longer taught. There are the arguments about it being good for brain development, but in the scheme of things and time kids have in school, it was cut almost universally. Kids no longer need to write fast since they type.

WitchKitty  

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 3:36 am
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
What? I don't agree... How do you communicate here on Imamother?

Writing in cursive, dear.

amother [ Jade ] wrote:
But in Ivrit, you write cursive?

"Cursive" is joined handwriting. Ivrit has 2 alphabets, כתב and דפוס, but none are joined.
Although some do call כתב 'unjoined' cursive.

mamma llama  

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 6:05 am
I think cursive is very important. Imagine not being able to sign for a package because you don't know how to write a signature...

Rappel

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 6:13 am
I don't think it's essential, but it's helpful.

Blessing1

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 6:18 am
mamma llama wrote:
I think cursive is very important. Imagine not being able to sign for a package because you don't know how to write a signature...

So you teach kids to sign their name. Other than signing their name, cursive isn't needed or used. DD is learning cursive this year, I think it's a waste of time.

mamma llama

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 6:22 am
Blessing1 wrote:
So you teach kids to sign their name. Other than signing their name, cursive isn't needed or used. DD is learning cursive this year, I think it's a waste of time.

What about when they get married? Then, they'll need to sign a different last name. Should they have to start teaching themselves their new signatures while they're running between gown appointments and wedding halls?
(Not to mention how artistic script looks as graffiti... Smile )

tigerwife

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 6:26 am
For some reason, I write checks in script. Maybe I should put it on that thread where you do things your mother did but don’t know why.

Besides for checks and signatures, I guess it isn’t widely used but I still believe kids should be taught to at least read it.

sky

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 7:17 am
mamma llama wrote:
What about when they get married? Then, they'll need to sign a different last name. Should they have to start teaching themselves their new signatures while they're running between gown appointments and wedding halls?
(Not to mention how artistic script looks as graffiti... Smile )

Honestly my signature is a scribble as most ppl I know.
My boys schools barely covers it. It is becoming a trend to skip as so few ppl write things by hand these days.

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 7:57 am
Your official signature can be “print” and not “script” as long as it’s consistent, it’s up to you.

I just was discussing this on Succos, I was writing a shopping list on Chol Hamoed and I wrote in script as my shinui, I haven’t written in script in years and it felt very weird to do so. So clearly I’ve had no need for it in years.

It could be valuable to know how to read it.

shaqued_almond

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 8:02 am
I misunderstood the question. As long as you can write in English it's fine. Cursive is not necessary.

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 8:02 am
tigerwife wrote:
For some reason, I write checks in script. Maybe I should put it on that thread where you do things your mother did but don’t know why.

Besides for checks and signatures, I guess it isn’t widely used but I still believe kids should be taught to at least read it.

That's another thing that I'm not using anymore. Checks.

BetsyTacy

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 8:07 am
This reminds me of Muggie Maggie by Beverly Cleary.

She wanted to read the notes, but couldn't because she wouldn't learn cursive.

If a child is motivated, learning to read cursive shouldn't be too tough. Most people don't use the strange capital cursives (Q as a 2) even when writing cursive.

amother
Burgundy  

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 8:09 am
I’m in my 30s and never learned to write cursive. It has never been a problem. I can read it which comes in handy on occasion when someone sends a note. I can also sign my name (of course), though usually it’s more scribble than cursive. I definitely just write checks in print and no one has ever complained (It’s pretty rare I write checks at all though).
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette