Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Yeshivacation???
Previous  1  2

MahPitom  

Post Wed, Jan 23 2008, 12:53 pm
I would love to be a teacher too, all the self fulfillment and summers off, and being off when your kids are off etc. But for $150 a week I’d rather mend clothes and breastfeed every 3 hours!

creativemommyto3

Post Wed, Jan 23 2008, 1:37 pm
willow wrote:
Unbelievable!!! I have stayed away from controversial threads for a long time, because I believe most of the people usually are posting just to have their opinions heard and not to really understand and see someone else point of view. I feel I owe it to those in Chinuch to stand up for them and applaud them.
No wonder the level of chutzpah from children has only increased over the years. Look at the parents. How do you expect your child to respect their teachers if this is the attitude that you convey to your children.
I am appalled at the way you think. These are the people entrusted with your precious neshamas every day and you begrudge them a vacation?!!!
I understand its hard to arrange your schedule because school vacations and off days do not always coincide with your work. But really MahPitom a little class"go become a stock broker" Rolling Eyes So football players, stockbrokers, actress and business men suddenly "deserve" their salary's? While teachers... Gosh from where do you get the attitude?

How do you expect the parents to pay tuition those months when they are shelling out all that extra money for babysitting etc.? does money grow on trees?

Love My Babes  

Post Wed, Jan 23 2008, 1:50 pm
MahPitom wrote:
I would love to be a teacher too, all the self fulfillment and summers off, and being off when your kids are off etc. But for $150 a week I’d rather mend clothes and breastfeed every 3 hours!
so maybe thats y theres so much vacation? Wink

but what about your kids? since 1st grade, I had school 6 days a week and I needed every break I can get. my mother always worked full time because she needed to pay her bills, but she was always so happy when we got off from school. I needed a lot more vacation than we got. yom tov was always nice to have off, but you need some other time that you can do whatever you want and play with friends. my mother would give up a days pay when she could just to give us some of her time. and the rest of the time I went to friends whose mothers didnt work, or had a big sister watching them.

Barbara

Post Wed, Jan 23 2008, 2:10 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
when I was growing up we were told that we had winter vacation at the end of january DAFKA so that a jewish religious school was not having vacation during x-mas.
and I dont see why that is so unreasonable. the teachers that are not jewish can take off the day. it is just like a jewish teacher that might work in any secular place, they take off for their chagim and we for ours.

Yes, that's the reason. Also, vacation prices are higher the last week in December. They're lower during yeshiva week, and some resorts go kosher for the week.

That said, there are still a few schools on the public school calendar for the reasons cited by the OP -- that's when most people get off from jobs or have a slow time. Plus, where I live, we use the public school buses, and they're not available when public schools are closed.

What drives *me* crazy is the *erev* days off, which go so far as Friday for a Monday holiday. A friend calls them *cooking days* -- the kids are out of school so the teachers can cook and prepare for the chag. I know how difficult it is to prepare when you have to work, but if you have a job, that's the way it is. Exploding anger There's just too much vacation time for my tuition dollar.

Mrs. XYZ  

Post Wed, Jan 23 2008, 3:44 pm
Quote:
There's just too much vacation time for my tuition dollar.

Theres also too much work time for the teachers salary.

Quote:
If the teachers need a break from working 20 hours a week, maybe they’re in the wrong profession

Teachers officially working 20 hours a week, are automatically working at least 40 a week. For evey hour in school, they work at least one hour at home. And they're getting paid for a 10 hour week.
Are you trying to convince all the teachers out there to quit their jobs???

MahPitom  

Post Wed, Jan 23 2008, 3:58 pm
Ladies, take a look at your calendars and check off the days that you are paying for school. Please tell me in your calendar it’s more than 150 days for the year (not by mine). Does your school also charge tuition for the summer months like ours?

Emotionally, spiritually we’re getting a great value. But the system stinks and we are overpaying for teachers who feel overburdened by the ‘stress’ of their job. I think it’s time for change. Not by us, but an attitude adjustment. Don’t like the stress? Don’t like the pay? Deal with it or move on.

Love My Babes  

Post Wed, Jan 23 2008, 4:10 pm
MahPitom wrote:
Ladies, take a look at your calendars and check off the days that you are paying for school. Please tell me in your calendar it’s more than 150 days for the year (not by mine). Does your school also charge tuition for the summer months like ours?

Emotionally, spiritually we’re getting a great value. But the system stinks and we are overpaying for teachers who feel overburdened by the ‘stress’ of their job. I think it’s time for change. Not by us, but an attitude adjustment. Don’t like the stress? Don’t like the pay? Deal with it or move on.
hey y dont u open a school and try out all your ideas, if it works u can suggest them to the rest of the schools out there

MahPitom  

Post Wed, Jan 23 2008, 4:13 pm
Is there a law about whining? If I call up the president to complain about social security, he doesn’t tell me ‘go make your own government” okay? He says he’ll ‘write it down’ (at least last time I spoke to him). So get a grip, I’m here for fun, aren’t you? Go take some B-Complex, Refuah Shleimah.

Mrs. XYZ

Post Wed, Jan 23 2008, 4:47 pm
Quote:
He says he’ll ‘write it down’ (at least last time I spoke to him).

LOL which was when?

Is it easier to reach the president than the school administrator?

Love My Babes  

Post Wed, Jan 23 2008, 4:52 pm
MahPitom wrote:
Is there a law about whining? If I call up the president to complain about social security, he doesn’t tell me ‘go make your own government” okay? He says he’ll ‘write it down’ (at least last time I spoke to him). So get a grip, I’m here for fun, aren’t you? Go take some B-Complex, Refuah Shleimah.
ur attitude definately doesnt sound like your here for fun, maybe u meant to make fun?

truthfully if u speak to the president, im sure hell tell you im sorry ur not happy, but this is the way it is, and so forth for the school systems. I agree that tuition is insane and that maybe we should get more for our money, but the fact is that this is the way it is and its not only one school. its all of them. it may be a sad fact but we need to deal with it. maybe the teachers who feel they are underpayed are not interested in overworking. perhaps if there would be more benefits to them working harder and longer hours, they might not want so much vacation?

gryp  

Post Wed, Jan 23 2008, 4:57 pm
I can't believe this discussion either. Obviously people have no idea how hard it is to be a good teacher. There's a reason why teachers get burned out after a while. It's because they've cared so much about others' kids.

There is no other job out there like teaching. No one else has to be a role model, guide, child psychologist, disciplinarian, parent psychologist, for an intense 8 hours a day. And then the phone calls start once the teacher gets home. And the preparation involved.

Teaching is a great job. But I see the attitude towards teachers is that they are "just" teachers. Too bad, because their your children's teachers.

Kinneret

Post Wed, Jan 23 2008, 6:01 pm
MahPitom wrote:
Does anybody have a child who behaves normal and structured during vacation? NO! They go crazy! Kids need school. Why is it that our boys are never burned out? They go to Yeshiva every single day. If they ever do have a day off (Nittul?) they go nuts. I know my son climbs the walls from boredom, he needs Yeshiva!

My kids are fine during vacation. They don't "go crazy," and we're able to do all sorts of fun, interesting activities. If kids are bored and/or misbehaving at home, it has nothing to do with them not being in school for a few days.

MahPitom  

Post Wed, Jan 23 2008, 6:45 pm
fine fine a bottle of wine

qeenB

Post Wed, Jan 23 2008, 7:29 pm
I have relatives in australia and there the year is split up in four terms. after every term of three months there is a two or three week vacation . with a six week vacation in the summer. parents there are just used to spending more quality time with their kids and the kids dont have school on sundays and its a family day for most people to spend with their kids. as someone who is involved in chinuch for over ten years I can say that the little weekend we get off for vacation goes along way in giving teachers the koach they need to deal with your kids for 8 hours a day. think about it your kids are in school more hours of their day than they are home. and the teacher has to deal with 20 or 30 kids at a time. if they are good teachers they are putting alot of energy into your kids. they are not robots and need a break every few months. I think it would be nice if the schools maybe organized a trip or something for the kids to do using chaperones who are not the teachers.

MahPitom

Post Wed, Jan 23 2008, 7:34 pm
I have suggested a long time ago, organized trips on Chol Hamoed. Whip parent wouldn’t want to pay even $80 for their 7th grader to go on a supervised trip, rather than submitting to the peer pressure of today’s Disney-style Chol Hamoed outings?

There is nothing more censored than the school environment. Every hour in school is a bracha. If the teachers need a break, it’s fine to have alternating staff! Something’s gotta give.

timeout

Post Wed, Jan 23 2008, 9:02 pm
My son doesn't get any vacation and he's only in First Grade I'm actually a bit upset and will call the principle to ask if he can have one day off!

gryp

Post Wed, Jan 23 2008, 9:11 pm
Quote:
And why do the kids have Chanukah vacation and snowstorm vacation and midwinter vacation and erev pesach vacation. Supposedly if you call the schools they will tell you it’s because the teachers need a break

Erev Pesach vacation is because teachers need to prepare for Pesach too.

Btw, we have no midwinter vacation or snowstorm vacations. Erev Yom Tov is a day and a half off except preschool. And our Chanukah vacation is Friday-Monday. Shushan Purim we have off- this year it falls out on Shabbos anyway.

Love My Babes

Post Thu, Jan 24 2008, 2:46 pm
with my mother working erev pesach vacation was important so we can do the last minute preps.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics