Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Yeshivacation???
1  2  Next

amother  

Post Tue, Jan 22 2008, 5:14 pm
I do not have children in school yet, but I am wondering why Yeshiva gets winter break in late January? My husband works in a professional field and when our children are older he will not be able to take vacation during this time. However, he has several days off during the end of December between Xmas and New Year's.

I am wondering why Yeshiva break is not at the end of December as there are non-Jewish teachers who I am sure take off at that time of year. Can anyone please explain why Yeshivacation is when it is? Is it to avoid breaking during non jewish holidays?

MahPitom  

Post Tue, Jan 22 2008, 6:49 pm
And why do the kids have Chanukah vacation and snowstorm vacation and midwinter vacation and erev pesach vacation. Supposedly if you call the schools they will tell you it’s because the teachers need a break. If the teachers need a break from working 20 hours a week, maybe they’re in the wrong profession. When was the last time a 9-5 mom got a day off? On x-mas? Great, so she runs to shoprite to shop for the week. hurray.

MMEC123  

Post Tue, Jan 22 2008, 8:02 pm
MahPitom wrote:
And why do the kids have Chanukah vacation and snowstorm vacation and midwinter vacation and erev pesach vacation. Supposedly if you call the schools they will tell you it’s because the teachers need a break. If the teachers need a break from working 20 hours a week, maybe they’re in the wrong profession. When was the last time a 9-5 mom got a day off? On x-mas? Great, so she runs to shoprite to shop for the week. hurray.
Woa- have you ever taught? I'm a teacher and I have to tell you, we all need vacation- the teachers and the kids and certainly the mothers who work 9-5 (though unfortunately for them there's not that option...). Do you really want to have someone who is burnt out teaching your kids? It takes a whole lot of energy and kishkas to give to and teach and love 20 other women's children but that's what teachers do every day and we certainly deserve the breaks we get (I'm sorry for the other women who don't get it).

MahPitom  

Post Tue, Jan 22 2008, 8:08 pm
Doctors treat 20 patients at the site time, 300 per hour. They work 18 hour shifts. It’s an attitude distortion in the community and I am labeled as the outspoken one?

anon

Post Tue, Jan 22 2008, 8:12 pm
MahPitom wrote:

You cannot compare teaching jobs to some other professions. I personally have done teaching-type jobs and desk jobs, and teaching is so much more exhausting, it's ridiculous.

As for yeshivacation....gosh, that's so annoying! I didn't think of that. I won't be in that parsha for a little while, but when I am, I'm sure it'll drive me crazy. Why do they insist on making their vacation times different than everyone else's vacation?

creativemommyto3  

Post Wed, Jan 23 2008, 12:20 am
MMEC123 wrote:
MahPitom wrote:
Woa- have you ever taught? I'm a teacher and I have to tell you, we all need vacation- the teachers and the kids and certainly the mothers who work 9-5 (though unfortunately for them there's not that option...). Do you really want to have someone who is burnt out teaching your kids? It takes a whole lot of energy and kishkas to give to and teach and love 20 other women's children but that's what teachers do every day and we certainly deserve the breaks we get (I'm sorry for the other women who don't get it).

I agree that you need breaks. However do you realize that for all the parents that work full time this means that they either have to pay loads of money to a babysitter or be forced to take unpaid days off? The parents are killing themselves to pay the schools their enormous fees in the first place and then to be saddled with paying for your vacation.

Teachers get quite a bit of vacation. They get two MONTHS in the summer, off for all of the yom tovim, plus chanuka break, plus midwinter break. Give me a break. Why do you guys need so much vacation?
Don't get me wrong, you need breaks but not that many and especially not at the expense of others.

It's hard to be a working mom but that is life. I don't believe teachers need so much break.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Jan 23 2008, 5:05 am
when I was growing up we were told that we had winter vacation at the end of january DAFKA so that a jewish religious school was not having vacation during x-mas.
and I dont see why that is so unreasonable. the teachers that are not jewish can take off the day. it is just like a jewish teacher that might work in any secular place, they take off for their chagim and we for ours.

sarahd

Post Wed, Jan 23 2008, 5:54 am
MahPitom wrote:
Doctors treat 20 patients at the site time, 300 per hour. They work 18 hour shifts. It’s an attitude distortion in the community and I am labeled as the outspoken one?

An attitude distortion in which community? You think only frum teachers think they have a hard job? Why are you blaming this on "the community"?! Confused

Seeing 20 patients a day is not the same as being with 20 (or 30 or 35 or maybe even 40) children for four hours, keeping them under control and happy and actually teaching them something. Also, doctors are slightly better remunerated than teachers, which maybe helps make up for not having all that vacation. In fact, lots of vacation is about the only perk that teachers have. In return for working hard and earning peanuts, at least they have 15 weeks vacation.

MMEC123

Post Wed, Jan 23 2008, 7:41 am
Four hours with the same class? Try 8 hours a day with the same class. Yes, some of us actually teach full time.

But that aside, I think others deserve vacation too. Also, kids need the break as well. We don't want to burn them out of learning at a young age. I agree with you that it would be nice if the vacations corresponding to when people who work outside the frum community have off. The current schedule does make it difficult for parents and I full acknowledge that.

MahPitom  

Post Wed, Jan 23 2008, 9:48 am
Does anybody have a child who behaves normal and structured during vacation? NO! They go crazy! Kids need school. Why is it that our boys are never burned out? They go to Yeshiva every single day. If they ever do have a day off (Nittul?) they go nuts. I know my son climbs the walls from boredom, he needs Yeshiva!

There is no reason why the kids need to have so much vacation. And there is no reason why teachers deserve special treatment. If you don’
T like working 8 hours with 30 kids for peanuts, go work in special ed! You’ll work with 1 child, for 30 minutes, and earn $85, howzat! Not enough money? Go become a stock broker.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jan 23 2008, 9:53 am
Most kids I knew found it hard to have only 2 free days per week, and that was those who really had 2 days to do what they want. Not even talking of the shabbes keepers. Vacations are well needed for family time and relaxing. A bigger boy can learn a bit every day, but that's still not like a day in yeshiva!

Mitzvahmom

Post Wed, Jan 23 2008, 9:55 am
This is my only vent about my school

Yes we have a LOT of vacations, it can drive someone crazy... My bigest vent is when they close the school for a snow day...Yet, do not make up that day at the end of the year! So not only do my kids get vacation days, and chagim days off...but they get less school when it snows.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jan 23 2008, 10:24 am
I think it's a tough call. Working moms or not, kids need structure but down time is important.

If the school day was shorter, perhaps there would be less vacations days ...

GetReal

Post Wed, Jan 23 2008, 10:47 am
MahPitom wrote:
If you don’t like working 8 hours with 30 kids for peanuts, go work in special ed! You’ll work with 1 child, for 30 minutes, and earn $85, howzat! Not enough money? Go become a stock broker.

Wow MahPitom, it's a good thing that all of us teachers don't think that way, or your kids might be at home with you all day every day b/c all the teachers decided to earn a decent salary as a stockbroker.

MahPitom  

Post Wed, Jan 23 2008, 10:48 am
Don’t worry, nobody listens to me.

chaimsmom

Post Wed, Jan 23 2008, 10:54 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
the teachers that are not jewish can take off the day

But what about the teachers who want to travel to be with their families on their holidays?

amother  

Post Wed, Jan 23 2008, 11:04 am
MMEC123 wrote:
Four hours with the same class? Try 8 hours a day with the same class. Yes, some of us actually teach full time.

How about 8 hours a day working retail running back and forth to customers all day long, shlepping boxes from the back, wrapping packages, getting UPS deliveries out... and the joy of knowing I can shlep my kids to work with me one week of January while the teachers enjoy vacation. No, I can't take time off, it's my store and I couldn't get a babysitter.

tovasmom

Post Wed, Jan 23 2008, 11:23 am
Schedule wise, teaching seems to be a good deal, almost compensating for the low pay. My pet peeve about this is that my four kids, in three different schools, have three different vacations -- no point in taking vacation at that time, we would use it all up! And dh and I both work in the business world, so we have to figure out what to do with the kids for the three separate vacations! AARGH!

willow

Post Wed, Jan 23 2008, 12:11 pm
Unbelievable!!! I have stayed away from controversial threads for a long time, because I believe most of the people usually are posting just to have their opinions heard and not to really understand and see someone else point of view. I feel I owe it to those in Chinuch to stand up for them and applaud them.
No wonder the level of chutzpah from children has only increased over the years. Look at the parents. How do you expect your child to respect their teachers if this is the attitude that you convey to your children.
I am appalled at the way you think. These are the people entrusted with your precious neshamas every day and you begrudge them a vacation?!!!
I understand its hard to arrange your schedule because school vacations and off days do not always coincide with your work. But really MahPitom a little class"go become a stock broker" Rolling Eyes So football players, stockbrokers, actress and business men suddenly "deserve" their salary's? While teachers... Gosh from where do you get the attitude?

amother

Post Wed, Jan 23 2008, 12:51 pm
Willow you have to understand there are mothers here working besides there full time job at home 10 hours a day (Including me) Yes sorry I cannot pity anyone that works 4 hours gets off 10 weeks a year Thats for summer vacation and eruv yom tov, chol hamoed etc..and then still need a break. I need a break and I dont need anyone telling my I shouldnt work no one knows my situation and thats not the issue here. Yes I would love to be a teacher and do 4 hours a day 5 days a week and get off and still be able to omplain.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics