Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Help!! How do I pay my tution bill???
1  2  3  Next

amother  

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 7:54 pm
Please help me:
I'm a divorced woman with a child who doesn't have child support (a story in it's self). Until now I was fine bec. my daughter was on day care- but she's aging out. I have a hard enough time [b]as is[/b] with all my expense (and no, they are not extras).
Also, my school is part of a moysed, shouldn't they be able to charge less for people that need it???

amother  

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 8:01 pm
There are programs out there like head start. see if u qualify.

chocolate moose  

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 8:06 pm
There are proib. MANY programs you can quality for, do you know a/one to ask?

amother  

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 8:12 pm
I don't qualify for head start anymore- she is too old. the only thing is vouchers, which I'm still on the waiting list for.

amother  

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 8:21 pm
If you are on public assistance but work, you may be able to get childcare vouchers, without the waiting list.

amother  

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 8:28 pm
what kind of public assistance do you mean? I have food stamps and medicaid, but it doesn't help me get the vouchers.
did you mean welfare? I'm trying to work on that, but am having some problems.

chocolate moose  

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 8:39 pm
I think everyone pays some tuition. You might just have to adjust your budget to allow for it.

amother  

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 8:43 pm
amother wrote:
what kind of public assistance do you mean? I have food stamps and medicaid, but it doesn't help me get the vouchers.
did you mean welfare? I'm trying to work on that, but am having some problems.
Yeah, that's what I meant. What is the problem? You must work pretty much full time to qualify for the vouchers. and then you may be earning too much to qualify for what they call workfare. Maybe a single parent can put in less hours?

amother  

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 8:51 pm
yeah. that's what my problem is also. if I get welfare, then I need to do more hours. and how do I know that I won't loose my food stamps and medicaid. and one person said I probably will only get the welfare for a few months- bec have only one child.
Also, I know I should pay something for tution- just I can't afford the price they want me to pay. and I tried twice to get them to lower it for me. they weren't being too helpful. unless you count the second time, when they gave me off $10 a month.

cindy324  

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 8:54 pm
Quote:
I think everyone pays some tuition. You might just have to adjust your budget to allow for it.

Hmm...let's see what she can do without...I know! Maybe she should cut out food from her budget, or maybe her apartment, what's wrong with being homeless?

Come on CM, there are times when one has to choose between basic necessities and tuition. But then again , these days most schools will allow the kid to go to public school rather than let them go for free. This tuition thing is a pet peeve of mine.

IMO, amother, you should go to the school admin. and explain your situation, you should be able to get some kind of assistance from them.

amother  

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 9:01 pm
You will most likely not lose your medicaid, you may be reduced in foodstamps. I don't see why you would only be kept on welfare for a few months with just one child, if you qualify you qualify, period.

Try to step in to the Jewish Community Council in your area, they may be able to advise you how to increase your benefits, or keep the ones you have, while still getting vouchers for working. I think you can also get vouchers if you are studying, and that would not increase your income to the point where you lose your benefits.

amother  

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 9:04 pm
I spoke to the school administrator, who told me the following:
"which teacher do you want me not to pay?"
"school cost money. need to pay for toys for your child's class, pay for teachers, pay for janitor to clean..."

amother  

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 9:17 pm
I tried the council in my community, but they weren't really answering my questions. I'm trying to speak to someone else, but need to wait for my appointment- in a few days.

also, I not studying, so that's not an option.

healthymama

Post Thu, Jun 14 2007, 1:29 am
Quote:
I spoke to the school administrator, who told me the following:
"which teacher do you want me not to pay?"
"school cost money. need to pay for toys for your child's class, pay for teachers, pay for janitor to clean..."

I would pull my child out and look for something else.

Move, if you can. There are good schools that specifically state that no child will be turned away because of tuition issues. Depending on what you are looking for in a school, I can give you some suggestions.

Mitzvahmom  

Post Thu, Jun 14 2007, 9:33 am
It's wrong of the school to say that to you!

I know I cry when they come and ask me for money, but typically if I am honest and show the my bank statement with like $40 for the week they back off..

chocolate moose  

Post Thu, Jun 14 2007, 10:05 am
Cindy, what do you think? That I never struggled with $$$$$?

It doesn't mean I paid no tuition, though. Even with a husband out of work, I paid someting.

Mitzvahmom

Post Thu, Jun 14 2007, 10:11 am
for me, I faught hard with the state to get the school approved for funding, it's not alot but it's better than nothing..

I always say to myself IY"H some day I can send a check to the school and tell them thank you

cindy324  

Post Thu, Jun 14 2007, 2:55 pm
I understand you CM, but telling the OP that she has to pay tuition no matter what, is really not helping. And I'm sure that if your situation was desperate enough you would've been begging the school to understand.

chocolate moose  

Post Thu, Jun 14 2007, 3:01 pm
I paid LESS. But I paid SOMETHING.

And now that I can afford it (the school's loshon, not mine) they expect me to pay up from those years AFTER DD graduates (this Sunday P"G).

shoy18  

Post Thu, Jun 14 2007, 3:05 pm
this thread isn't entitled CM's hardships with tuition, so your comments are sort of useless.

OP is there another school you can send your daughter to? or an orginization who might be able to help you out or a rav who might influence the school? Its the kind of thing that needs some outside forces to get involved.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics