Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
When kids want to stay home from school...
1  2  3  Next

gryp  

Post Tue, Apr 24 2007, 2:54 pm
do you let them?

greenfire  

Post Tue, Apr 24 2007, 2:56 pm
you let them ...

Ruchel

Post Tue, Apr 24 2007, 2:58 pm
I wouldn't. All kids want to stay at home, but school is necessary!

brooklyn

Post Tue, Apr 24 2007, 3:15 pm
If it is once in a w hile as a treat, why not, everyone deserves a micky mouse day once in a while.

daisy  

Post Tue, Apr 24 2007, 3:18 pm
I would, DH prefers not. Guess what, my parents always sent me to school as kid, his did not!

smiley:)

Post Tue, Apr 24 2007, 3:20 pm
If you have a kid you trust (I hope), I believe everyone needs a "mental health" day once in a while... just like you want a rest from work (whether you are a mom or have a job out of the house etc). Sometimes you just need a break.
Of course you also have to know your kid and if he/she will take advantage etc.

daisy

Post Tue, Apr 24 2007, 3:21 pm
I should add that it depends why. Recently one of my children had a stomach ache and wanted to stay home. An hour later she seemed fine, so I suggested taking her to school and she went willingly. Sometimes they just need a little extra time and space. Other times there could be something else going on, so be observant.

Ima'la  

Post Tue, Apr 24 2007, 3:29 pm
Is this question in the preschool section on purpose? Just wanted to clarify / point that out - b/c I'd answer differently depending on the age.

chocolate moose  

Post Tue, Apr 24 2007, 3:47 pm
Being a workingmom, that was never a question.

gryp  

Post Tue, Apr 24 2007, 4:57 pm
This is the preschool section. I should have clarified.

chocolate moose  

Post Tue, Apr 24 2007, 5:07 pm
gr, don't you have errrands and appointments evry single day? tell your kids that. that you're not home.

greenfire  

Post Tue, Apr 24 2007, 5:09 pm
by the way I should add that this is for a treat once in a while treat ... or if they are little and can't handle it either ... my dd from k and even in 5th grade used to get stomach aches before school ... too often ... in tuned to her I realized that she was afraid that something would happen while she was in school ... not easy ... NOW I have to beg her to stay home if she is sick ... or need an appt ... that would otherwise be hard to get ... funny kid ...

gryp  

Post Tue, Apr 24 2007, 8:32 pm
choc moose, I'm not particularly busy, no. My errands and appts revolve around running the house and taking care of the kids.

my 3 year old recently asks to stay home, and when he does I let him. it's not easy for him to be in school every single day since he gets overwhelmed easily with so many other kids around all the time, and he does better when he misses once or twice a week.

I'm just thinking about this because today I took the three boys to the park and someone I know asked me why my 3 year old isn't in school today. I told her the reason unsure of the feedback I would get from her. so I thought it was an interesting topic.

Ima'la

Post Tue, Apr 24 2007, 9:10 pm
See - that's a great example - you have to know your kid. I don't think I'd let my preschoolers stay home b/c it wouldn't be what they need - like yours needs it. On the other hand, they love school and would never ask -so maybe if they did actually ask, depending on the situation I would agree they needed it and let them.

Mitzvahmom

Post Tue, Apr 24 2007, 9:14 pm
LOL my kids pulled this each, one time... Then came to the quick realization that mommy's work is NO FUN!

Single mom, that has to work to pay the bills is not staying home. Simply cannot afford...

poelmamosh  

Post Tue, Apr 24 2007, 9:18 pm
Actually, GR, I think I saw you in the park today with your 3 yr old and I thought "wow, there's a SAHM in this neighborhood who homeschools her DS, that's pretty unusual.
I was actually going to post about that mom b4 you revealed yourself LOL

mimivan

Post Tue, Apr 24 2007, 9:33 pm
my 3 year old loves to go to gan...
Is that a bad sign embarrassed ?
I think he likes being at home too??

chocolate moose  

Post Tue, Apr 24 2007, 9:45 pm
GR, sounds like he needs a smaller class size.

As far as errands and appointments, you don't do your own shopping? Get your own mail? Take the other kids t the bus? You know what I mean.

gryp  

Post Wed, Apr 25 2007, 8:40 am
LOL poelmamosh. the park wasn't that crowded yesterday- which one was you?????
I was actually wondering if anyone would say "hey I was there too!" to my story.

choc moose- there are no smaller classes in CH. I checked it out.
I do whatever I have to do with him around. he's a great easygoing kid, I don't mind him tagging along.
my mail comes to my mailbox, I'm not sure what you mean by going to get my mail. where do you get your mail? and he's the only one in school and we bring him back and forth, so I'm not waiting for any buses.

On the other hand, this morning he told me that he's staying home to which I said: "No, you're not, buddy!" I'll let him miss school twice a week, but not two days in a row! Smile

poelmamosh  

Post Wed, Apr 25 2007, 6:53 pm
the preschool teacher Wink so I have lots of sympathy for this type of thing I see lots and lots of kids who could use a day off. (except once a mom told me her daughter faked being sick just so the class would call her at home..lol).
As long as they're in preschool, it's OK and beneficial, but what happens in grade school? will he understand the difference when he's (just a little) bigger?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers