Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

vintagebknyc

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 8:41 pm
sequoia wrote:
Do people wear shoes in their own home?

not if I don't have to.

spring13  

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 9:16 pm
I wear a Shabbos robe or a maxi dress because I don't think it's a crime or rude to Hashem to be comfortable in your own home. I have things that I only wear on Shabbos, and don't wear anything similar during the week. These are my special Shabbos things and they're pretty. Do people really think G-d is offended by them? That if you're not wearing a duty length pencil skirt and heels, you're not ready for Shabbos? I have my opinions about all kinds of things, but seriously, whining about this phenomenon is a pretty big waste of opinionation: it's really not that hard to understand why people wear robes or something similar, or how they can afford them.

Rabbi Akiva's wife might not have had a zip-front velour Shabbos robe, but she didn't have a pleather skirt and a chiffon blouse either.

amother  

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 9:45 pm
questioner wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/25/fashion/for-the-hostess-slipping-into-something-a-little-more-practical.html
http://vintagefashionguild.org.....robe/

Hostess gowns were popular in the mid 1900s and are mainly out of style by now in most of America. Circles that are more insulated from outside trends still wear hostess gowns as practical, comfortable but formal attire.
(In other words, if my husband can wear a black hat that went out of style in JFKs time, why can't I wear a robe that went out of style in the same period?)

Preach!

Aaah.....the Shabbos Robe. There are few things that provoke such strong emotion than the Shabbos Robe. It's up there with the Middle East. I have friends who are horrified just by the thought of it and then there are people like me. Love, love, love my Shabbos robe. Haters gonna hate.

I am the last person you would ever imagine to be clothes shopping in Boro Park (read: pants, no hair covering), but a few weeks before I got married I went to Boro Park (the Shabbos Robe capital of the world) to buy one. My dh thought I was nuts and said it was such a waste of money ("You don't wear Shabbos robes!"). I hadn't worn one since I was a girl and even though I had moved far more to the left religiously, I kind of missed having one. Well, it's several years later and that robe practically paid for itself and my dh happens to really like it. I put it on and I feel timelessly elegant yet comfortable enough to curl up on the couch to read Friday night. When I'm at my in-laws I can throw it on when I get up in middle of the night to use the bathroom and not worry about running into my FIL looking like a shmatta. My favorite part of having one is there's nothing to think about. So long as it's just family over I know what I'm wearing which is why I don't really get the trend of the maxi skirts (I have to find a clean top?!) and the sleeveless robes (it needs a shell?!)...and when did it become a crying shame to wear machine washable clothing on Shabbos? Velour that I can throw in the wash? Yes please.

Anonymous because way too many people know this about me and don't want to out my screenname.

greenfire  

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 10:02 pm
I stopped wearing shabbos robes when they became black & morbid instead of relaxing & pretty ... not to mention their exorbitant price tags - and now I'm forever lazy and prefer pajamas

but when robes are meant to beautify shabbos then they are as elegant as any other dress - nobody can pretend to call them robes as if they are a wrap around bed/bathrobe

there are men that wear 'smoking jacket' which look like fancy robes to the shabbos table

making up halochos about robes is just utterly ridiculous

amother  

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 10:08 pm
greenfire wrote:
I stopped wearing shabbos robes when they became black & morbid instead of relaxing & pretty ... not to mention their exorbitant price tags - and now I'm forever lazy and prefer pajamas

but when robes are meant to beautify shabbos then they are as elegant as any other dress - nobody can pretend to call them robes as if they are a wrap around bed/bathrobe

there are men that wear 'smoking jacket' which look like fancy robes to the shabbos table

Do you mean a tish bekitche?

greenfire  

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 10:14 pm
tish bekishe / smoking jacket ... same difference aka robe if one wants to call it so

mirror

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 10:19 pm
greenfire wrote:

I think it's mostly just an attitude thing and not halacha. Otherwise the robe stores would all be out of business.

imaima  

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 10:28 pm
amother wrote:
If I would wear to my Shabbos Seudah what I wear to a function I would be very uncomfortable. That would not bring about much oneg shabbos to me nor to my kids (who I will yell at not to touch me with their dirty hands or drink grapejuic on my lap, etc.. for fear of dirtying my clothes).

I so don't agree with the op but to each their own.
To me a robe is special for Shabbos. Why is it different than a hostess gown? What if I call it a gown? then it's ok?
What's wrong with having different clothing for different locations/events? So my shabbos robe is for eating at home shabbos, or by any family member actually. And my shabbos clothes is for when I go to shul or eat out at friends (and the whole time I'm so uncomfortble, worst part is the tights)

May I ask you what is the difference? if you shabbes robe gets dirty you go and change it. Just as any other piece of clothing. And this is a 150 bucks piece of clothing, not something for 20$ that is less chaval to ruin...

imaima  

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 10:33 pm
bigsis144 wrote:
THIS.

On weekdays I have to change out of my work clothes before feeding my kids dinner and sitting on the floor with them. And I'll even put an apron on top of my "at home" clothes!

I can't even think about wearing what I'd wear to shul/a meal at someone else's house at my own home for any reason. My house is just too unpredictable!

I sometimes have to wear 2-3 different Shabbos robes over the course of a single Shabbos depending on how klutzy I am and how rowdy my kids are... I can't afford to wear anything that's not machine washable -- both top and bottom.

it is not the first time that this idea is expressed, but...
... WHY ARE YOUR CLOTHES NOT MACHINE WASHABLE?

You can buy machine washable for shabes and simchas and anything else, and have no shabbes robes at all. Where does this idea come into play that everything has to be dry cleaned?

amother  

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 10:39 pm
I once bought a robe that was actually a replica of kate middleton's iconic engagement dress. it was prettier than most of your shabbos clothes! at the time I even posted about it here.

you can check it out. I think the title was something like: omg! I'm a queen! I'm fit for royalty!"

you can look it up for fun.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 10:50 pm
watergirl wrote:

Obviously, it isn't a bathrobe. But I don't get the knocking those who choose to wear a comfortable skirt and top. I don't care if the thing is made out of pure silk and accented in real gold with real diamonds and if its stunning enough for a wedding - when it gets to the point where it looks like a gown and costs like a gown, why not just get dressed already?

Ha ha ha. I went out and bought a black bathrobe in a velvety material. It's my shabbos robe. Literally. Now its getting too warm for it so I might have to revert to nightgown when we have no company except my parents.

amother  

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 11:35 pm
Anon because people have heard me say this.

What kind of message are you sending to your children when you announce that you can't be bothered to dress for shabbos?

And what is it that robes are worn mostly by people who think there's a religious value in dressing formally all the time? You wouldn't wear a velour hoodie and jean skirt during the week even if they make sense for running around with kids, but on shabbos you suddenly value comfort over proper dress.

I think it's bizarre, but absolutely none of my business.

Have a good shabbos whatever you are wearing.

imaima  

Post Fri, Mar 20 2015, 12:03 am
amother wrote:
Anon because people have heard me say this.

What kind of message are you sending to your children when you announce that you can't be bothered to dress for shabbos?

And what is it that robes are worn mostly by people who think there's a religious value in dressing formally all the time? You wouldn't wear a velour hoodie and jean skirt during the week even if they make sense for running around with kids, but on shabbos you suddenly value comfort over proper dress.

I think it's bizarre, but absolutely none of my business.

Have a good shabbos whatever you are wearing.

This is the same type of crowd who eat all sorts of food all week long, but on Shabbes they grace their table with a beans and potato stew (sometimes even meatless!!) and on pessach they get by with potatoes, carrots, beets and eggs...

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Mar 20 2015, 2:07 am
Guess what? If you want a beautiful, bright and unusual Shabbos robe for half the price, all you have to do is Google the word "abaya". Great options in lightweight cotton for summer, too.

http://www.rayannesdesign.com is a lovely company to work with. Very Jewish-friendly, with really good customer service. If you get on their email list, they run lots of sales around Eid.

A while ago I got this set http://www.rayannesdesign.com/.....a-689 for half price, and I love it.

Frumdoc  

Post Fri, Mar 20 2015, 2:39 am
I have specific fancy but comfortable shabbos clothes I would only wear for Friday night at home without guests. Not a robe, but similar. Not a shmatter I would sleep in or be ashamed to answer the door in, but not a suit or fancy clothes I have to look after and can't sit comfortably on the recliner in.

One of the beautiful aspects of Friday nights for me is the family together, celebrating the end of the week with a special meal, relaxed as we have the burden of oved taken from us and can enjoy each other without interruption with the kedusha of shabbos.

Part of that is physical as well as spiritual relaxation, shabbos is supposed to be a time when you appreciate physical inactivity of certain kinds. So the bliss of lighting candles and wearing my special shabbos clothes which I don't have to fuss over is part of that.

I don't care if someone else decides it is not smart enough for their idea of shabbos, this is my idea of what shabbos means for me right now, and comfortable robes fit right in there.

Raisin  

Post Fri, Mar 20 2015, 3:55 am
imaima wrote:
This is the same type of crowd who eat all sorts of food all week long, but on Shabbes they grace their table with a beans and potato stew (sometimes even meatless!!) and on pessach they get by with potatoes, carrots, beets and eggs...

that actually bugs me more. I think it is so disrespectful to shabbos that people think gefilta fish and salad and maybe a bowl of chicken soup is a kavodik meal. Its not. Especially if the rest of the week you are eating steak and grilled chicken.

I have guests on shabbos so I always get dressed. All my shabbos clothes are washable and mostly dark colours, and I have few pretty but comfortable long skirts that I wear, which are nice enough to wear for a wedding. When my youngest turns 5 or 6 I will iyh buy light coloured clothing!

imaima  

Post Fri, Mar 20 2015, 4:16 am
Raisin wrote:
that actually bugs me more. I think it is so disrespectful to shabbos that people think gefilta fish and salad and maybe a bowl of chicken soup is a kavodik meal. Its not. Especially if the rest of the week you are eating steak and grilled chicken.

I have guests on shabbos so I always get dressed. All my shabbos clothes are washable and mostly dark colours, and I have few pretty but comfortable long skirts that I wear, which are nice enough to wear for a wedding. When my youngest turns 5 or 6 I will iyh buy light coloured clothing!

You are in a different place in life! I can't wait so long because I think I haven't had my youngest yet! LOL

Raisin  

Post Fri, Mar 20 2015, 4:20 am
imaima wrote:
You are in a different place in life! I can't wait so long because I think I haven't had my youngest yet! LOL

yeah not sure if I will know if I have had my youngest either. Maybe when I have hit menopause and my youngest is 5.

greenfire  

Post Fri, Mar 20 2015, 5:16 am
FranticFrummie wrote:

A while ago I got this set http://www.rayannesdesign.com/.....a-689 for half price, and I love it.

total shabbosdik - $50 is a great deal

greenfire  

Post Fri, Mar 20 2015, 5:33 am
questioner wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/25/fashion/for-the-hostess-slipping-into-something-a-little-more-practical.html)

I would so wear donna reed's gown ...

questioner wrote:

(In other words, if my husband can wear a black hat that went out of style in JFKs time, why can't I wear a robe that went out of style in the same period?)

hats were back this year ... not to mention double-breasted suits for the spring
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics