Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Starting child on medicine at 12

amother  

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 2:16 am
for years we have been trying not to give ds medicine as I am really against it.

the problem is ds is really adhd and he has been doing impulsive dangerous things.
he also makes my house very stressful and siblings feel it very strong.
I'm not sure anymore that we are doing the right thing by not giving medicine

now the issue is he won't agree to come with me to the nurologist - how do I force a 12 year old?
and how will I get him to take the meds?

anyone been in this situation??

chani8  

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 7:12 am
Put him on valerian root drops until he calms down enough to reason with...and who knows, the valerian might be enough.

amother  

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 3:36 pm
Quote:
valerian root drops

what is this - is this something you get in the health food store?
does it really do anything

gila-rina  

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 4:02 pm
valerian has very strong smell (+taste?), its used to relax the nErves.
There is sheklee or a similar company that makes( star k) fish oil for kids that looks and tastes like candy. Maybe try that to calm him down a bit.
I don't get why you have to fight with him about going to doctor or taking medication. If he would need braces or podiatrist appointment wouldn't you just tell him " you have an appointment, the doc is going to check this and that"? You can tell him you're going on pediatrician's or school's directive.

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 4:27 pm
Since OP is against drugs for her son. She would probably be against drugs to get him there. She should not give him anything because his non-medicated affect is important for the Dr to see since this is exactly what he is diagnosing.

chani8  

Post Tue, Jul 24 2012, 2:06 am
Before you run to medicate, you need to get educated on this topic. You didn't put it off until he was 12 for no reason. You obviously have questions and concerns about using meds. You need to fully understand the benefits and the issues.

Please read Dr Amen's book on the 6 types of ADD. He is very pro-medication, whether it be prescription or herbal.

Fyi, valerian is a potent herb, that is used for many things. What it does is calm a particular part of the brain, including the part that often shows as the H (hyperactive) part of ADHD. However, calming that part of the brain may, or may not, be enough to help with the Attention Deficit. Some people also need a small amount of Ritilin to help with concentration, on top of the valerian, but honestly, valerian may well be enough, depending on the type of ADHD.

At the end of each chapter, and on his website, Dr Amen gives suggestions for natural supplements and herbs that have shown to be effective for specific parts of the brain on his Spect studies. I would just caution that if you decide to try home-medicating according to his advice, never start off by giving the full dose of any amino or herb. Always start at a low dose and monitor closely.

chani8

Post Tue, Jul 24 2012, 2:13 am
Fish oil has never been proven to help ADHD.

It is nice to take as an antioxident for the brain, esp for anyone taking meds.

It is a nice supplement, just like vitamins, for overall good health.

gila-rina

Post Tue, Jul 24 2012, 10:38 am
Squishy wrote:
Since OP is against drugs for her son. She would probably be against drugs to get him there. She should not give him anything because his non-medicated affect is important for the Dr to see since this is exactly what he is diagnosing.

Thumbs Up valid point, didn't think of that.

amother  

Post Tue, Jul 24 2012, 11:48 am
op here
I have tried fish oil but it didn't work

still not sure myself what to do but I feel like I'm getting desperatte

amother

Post Tue, Jul 24 2012, 11:50 am
My brother that has adhd went on meds at age 12. He is so much better now.

granolamom

Post Tue, Jul 24 2012, 12:14 pm
gila-rina wrote:
valerian has very strong smell (+taste?), its used to relax the nErves.
There is sheklee or a similar company that makes( star k) fish oil for kids that looks and tastes like candy. Maybe try that to calm him down a bit.
I don't get why you have to fight with him about going to doctor or taking medication. If he would need braces or podiatrist appointment wouldn't you just tell him " you have an appointment, the doc is going to check this and that"? You can tell him you're going on pediatrician's or school's directive.

I'm pretty sure you don't have a child like this or you would understand that it is not so simple to just tell a child he 'must go'. if the child would be that easy the OP probably wouldnt be considering meds

to the OP...valerian does work for some ppl, not so much for others. worth a try though
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)